Thailand aims to become Asia-Pacifc hub for the space industry

rooster59

Cool! space sounds awesome, but what is the point? To see empty darkness, cosmic dust, meteorites flying past and broken bits of satellites and rocket parts?

What a waste!

I guess, before go to space, go to poverty areas in Thailand where people need help, especially during the deepest economic crisis from the pandemic, which can be a great cure for the poverty rather than burn all the money, on the oxygen fuel with fat fireworks disposable engine.

FB598C21-969C-46BB-AAEC-AB6D72AAE656.gif

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

The cutting edge in space programs eh? Better tell them to update their website to the "https" encrypted protocol. As it stands their website is insecure and as a result penalized by Google. This requirement came in as standard practice years ago..............

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 6:58 AM, rooster59 said:

within seven years, the Thai government will have built its own spacecraft

Well, if the construction of the monorail by my house is any metric, by the time it's finished, it will be 4 years late.

Building a spacecraft?  Do they sell those kits on Amazon yet?

On 3/28/2021 at 10:40 AM, Pattaya Spotter said:

Should be completely doable...seeing how Thailand consistently ranks last in English proficiency, the language of science, among Asia Pacific nations. (It's because they were never colonized...so they say.)

No one wanted it ????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

Did not translate so I don't know. Both my sons studied aeronautical engineering in Thailand but no space engineering. One of the best schools for aerospace engineering is Delft in the Netherlands, the best in Thailand is probably King Mongkut institute.

On 3/28/2021 at 10:40 AM, Pattaya Spotter said:

Should be completely doable...seeing how Thailand consistently ranks last in English proficiency, the language of science, among Asia Pacific nations. (It's because they were never colonized...so they say.)

Well, that's OK. All they need in this case, is to brush up on their Swedish.????

On 3/28/2021 at 7:10 AM, YetAnother said:

thais do so few things right that this is a really spacey idea; they have great difficulty even governing themselves

It is in fact true that our smartphones have more computing power than the computers that were used when NASA landed on the moon in 1969 with Apollo 11. Thai logic would dictate that they can get to the Moon with a tuk tuk and an iPhone 11 ????

As we prepare my stepson for Thai University, I've seen the high school physics test results. He scored high because he has a tutor. Rest are under 30% and a few zero's. Teacher assigns reading then takes a nap in class!  Computer science programs at "famous" Thai universities stunningly teach Cobol on their curriculum (That' like teaching Morse code). Basic need for 20 year program to massively invest in education and the future. You will need home grown engineers.

hmmm... i think they have to fix the electric  problem in the country first. Then learn to build something strong with armed concrete (and how to build armed efficient structures). I think there is many step before to send something in the space.

Make me remember when the Republic of Congo try to send something in the space... we were working on a boat in the sea and everybody looking at the TV at 12:00 for the departure... Congo sailor was so happy... we were so surprise and happy to that they try something. The rocket start, then go up, and up, and up, and turn, and turn, and... fall after around 20 second to fly. End of the game. I hope for Thailand a better test, but, i see the condition of everything to be around the same for instruction level at school, so... maybe they can try with something very little first. Maybe they can try first to put in orbital position a papaya salad. There is a first begin for anything, but better to arrive to do a little thing than nothing.

22 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Did not translate so I don't know. Both my sons studied aeronautical engineering in Thailand but no space engineering. One of the best schools for aerospace engineering is Delft in the Netherlands, the best in Thailand is probably King Mongkut institute.

As far as I can make out the Space Park at Laem Chabang has been up and running for a few years as an Exhibition centre and R&D facilities working on several projects.

You will find the Swedish announcement under activity news.

https://www.gistda.or.th/main/th

https://www.gistda.or.th/main/th/node/4525

In collaboration with GISTDA in 2015, SSC has used a satellite station in Sweden to provide monitoring services for geostationary satellites in deep space in Asia and the Pacific region, as well as positioning correction services. To Japan's navigation satellite (QZSS) until now. With the potential of Thai space being suitable both in terms of location, personnel, as well as government support, the Swedish government and SSC invested in setting up a large satellite transmitter station in Thailand with GISTDA as a strategic partner And has designated Thailand as a hub in the ASEAN area, SSC Space Thailand has been established to bring all the experience and expertise to help build the Thai space ecosystem. And Thai companies in the development of aerospace projects and aerospace industries in Thailand and ASEAN

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 10:55 AM, spider1197 said:

Another HUB.  Where do they find these people that make so comments?  

Their hub office is next door to the hub office of the ministry silly walks.

Signed

John Cleese. MPFC.

tenor.gif

Edited by overherebc

If the amount of hot air generated by the current government / agencies can be direct into the space programme, they will not only be the hub but the world leaders in the space industry in very short order. 

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

As far as I can make out the Space Park at Laem Chabang has been up and running for a few years as an Exhibition centre and R&D facilities working on several projects.

You will find the Swedish announcement under activity news.

https://www.gistda.or.th/main/th

https://www.gistda.or.th/main/th/node/4525

In collaboration with GISTDA in 2015, SSC has used a satellite station in Sweden to provide monitoring services for geostationary satellites in deep space in Asia and the Pacific region, as well as positioning correction services. To Japan's navigation satellite (QZSS) until now. With the potential of Thai space being suitable both in terms of location, personnel, as well as government support, the Swedish government and SSC invested in setting up a large satellite transmitter station in Thailand with GISTDA as a strategic partner And has designated Thailand as a hub in the ASEAN area, SSC Space Thailand has been established to bring all the experience and expertise to help build the Thai space ecosystem. And Thai companies in the development of aerospace projects and aerospace industries in Thailand and ASEAN

Operating a satellite ground station does not make Thailand a hub for space services.

Rather than fanciful statements about sending a spacecraft to the Moon, the government could make substantive policy, as an example, a cash prize for the first university to operate a CubeSat in orbit, development of a launch site in southern Thailand, maybe fund a small orbital launcher, etc..