Thailand aims to become Asia-Pacifc hub for the space industry

rooster59

8 hours ago, djayz said:

It's been a while since we've had a story about a hub.

I can just imagine astronaut Somchai explaining how the brakes failed, causing him to collide with another space craft / satellite. 

You forgot planets, moon and asteroids. The final frontier.

It's all a nice idea and may come about but Thai government officials seem to have an obsession with becoming the hub of everything. Maybe that should be their simplified policy. 

Thailand

The Hub of Everything

• Like 2

2 hours ago, billsmart said:

I'm not in support of this, but that's because I'm not in support of any nation or individual spending money trying to go into space. We need to concentrate our efforts on cleaning up the Earth before we look elsewhere. Otherwise, we should not call the migration of humans to other planets "colonization," but rather "metastasizing." ☹️

The same things are being said about Space Hub Sutherland.

• Like 2

Due to the latitude of Thailand, there is some very valid reasons for its suitability for some micro satellite launches that require a  near equatorial orbit, or orbits with heavy inclination north south to cover Asia.  Its not that they would develop their own I imagine, but that they would act as a centre for both horizontal and vertical launches, much like Prestwich, or Shetland in Scotland, where their location aides some unusual orbital inclinations for near Polar orbits.  Maybe not as fancy full as it first appears and some high quality jobs in play. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Due to the latitude of Thailand, there is some very valid reasons for its suitability for some micro satellite launches that require a  near equatorial orbit, or orbits with heavy inclination north south to cover Asia.  Its not that they would develop their own I imagine, but that they would act as a centre for both horizontal and vertical launches, much like Prestwich, or Shetland in Scotland, where their location aides some unusual orbital inclinations for near Polar orbits.  Maybe not as fancy full as it first appears and some high quality jobs in play. 

The headquarters for the Scottish spaceport is in my home town, about a 3 hour drive from the spaceport.

Boris was congratulated in the House a couple of weeks ago for providing 30 new jobs, most of which will come from outside the area.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Walk before run .

Suggest they fix pavement for walkers

An intefrated rail policy wheretrains don't fall over and gurded gated crssings

Today reports 2 dearhs per hour and half motor cyclists unlicensed

For bus travellers , Shaded waiting areas with accurate maps and timetables , with GPS can show exact time of next service.

Well maintained  Pavements not obstructed by awnings, advetrs and wires accesible to wheelchaires and strollers.

An airline wihout corruption an airport with enough restrooms before space ?

An army that can control frontiers as well as governments.

These are a few of my favourite moans.

Perhaps a replenishment of road marking paint.

As some lines have turned black.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

[quote]

...and some high quality jobs in play.

[/quote]

Unless their employment policy has changed, they will not employ non-Thai citizens in their space sector (I know, from wasting my time applying some years ago....)

Anyway, thinking more realistically about this news report:

There is no reason why Thailand could not encourage/incentivize start-up businesses within the space sector.  This doesn't have to be building and launching rockets!  It could be precision milling companies to manufacture space components and hardware, such as waveguide assemblies.  Or a start-up could work in the remote-sensing or data interpretation sector, perhaps providing useful reports to the agricultural sector, based on scientific satellite data/imaging etc.

But neither of these ideas sounds 'sexy', even though such ventures can be very profitable.  IMHO, Thailand only wants to do some space work that is sexy, such as building, launching and flying a space vehicle to the moon (and back?).  It's all about face...

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1

When I was laid off from Kennedy Space Center in 2011 (end of the Shuttle Program) the goal of orbiting the moon was a thing of the past.  The program to follow the Space Shuttle was/is "Mars and Beyond".  It follows that like most everything else here, 20 years behind western technology is still true.  

The Thai Govt cannot control the traffic in their own country. Second worst road toll in the world and they want to be leaders in space. Should start with managing the space between the ears of the Government officials who took control at the point of a gun. Maybe Myanmar should also enter the space race they can be number two in S E Asia.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, billsmart said:

I'm not in support of this, but that's because I'm not in support of any nation or individual spending money trying to go into space. We need to concentrate our efforts on cleaning up the Earth before we look elsewhere. Otherwise, we should not call the migration of humans to other planets "colonization," but rather "metastasizing." ☹️

1000000 BC

Whoomp!

"Stop playing with that fire until we are able to clean our caves and find safe food to eat!"

• Like 1

Referring to the EEC as a high tech base example of Asia-Pacific hub maybe be a mistake.

Ever since the Prayut junta forceably began development (ie., without public support) of the EEC, it has been plagued with inadequate water supply and lack of skilled workers, more recently with electric power deficiencies. And last year didn't one of the EEC anchor "hub" industries (MRO) lose its primary employer Airbus? 

As it is several Asia-Pacific countries already have have mature space technologies and industries: Singapore, Japan  and South Korea; not to mention the 800 pound Chinese gorilla.

But if Thailand offers to cut its defense budget 50% to fund an aerospace industry, then go for it. 

Ha ha ha, bit early for April Fools, for a country which has the highest death rate on the roads to an International Centre for Space, please tell me where you will find the intelligence to run such a centre, certainly NOPT in Thailand judging by their knee jerk reactions to problems here and LACDK of any common-sense. 

If Thailand is so bad then what the hell are you mockers doing there then? Go back home to to your own perfect countries where everything is so great. Oh wait, it isn’t, that’s why you retire in Thailand! Hmmmh, the irony! ????????????????

• Sad 3

Orbital launches are obviously cheaper from equatorial locations (less fuel needed). Countries like Sweden will need to form partnerships with equatorial countries if they harbour ambitions for regular launches.

It's probably a good idea for Thailand to court such countries.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1