Thailand preparing for possible refugee exodus from Myanmar: PM

snoop1130

download.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha at Government House, in Bangkok, Thailand November 27, 2020. REUTERS/Chalinee Thirasupa/Pool/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said on Monday his government is preparing for a potential flood of refugees from neighbouring Myanmar.

“We don’t want to have an exodus into our territory, but we will observe human rights, too,” Prayuth told reporters when asked about a weekend of violence in Myanmar during anti-coup demonstrations. “How many refugees are expected? We have prepared an area, but how many - we are not talking about that.”

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-03-29

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said on Monday his government is preparing for a potential flood of refugees from neighbouring Myanmar.

i love this guy; we hear the news and immediately suspect what might happen; a week later, he does

• Like 1

1st Februry 2021:-

"Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon on Monday called the military takeover in neighbouring Myanmar an internal matter of the neighbouring country."

-  Now that it has become an "external" matter, that is washing up on Thailand's border, maybe the Thai Government will do something pro-active against the Myanmar Army/Government. 

7 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

What happened with the human rights a while ago for these refugee Rhohinyas ?

Look at a map; Bangladesh is totally on the other side of Burma from Thailand, so their plight could not have anything to do with Thailand unless Thailand were to have joined with other nations to directly confront the issue. And unless I missed something, the rest of the world did nothing in effect. And there is also the problem, which isn't talked about much, that Suu Kyi herself agreed (silently) with the generals that the Rohingya didn't belong in Burma, and there was and is almost zero support among ordinary Burmese for them. I'm not saying any of this is right, but that it is the reality. 

1 hour ago, Enzian said:

Look at a map; Bangladesh is totally on the other side of Burma from Thailand, so their plight could not have anything to do with Thailand unless Thailand were to have joined with other nations to directly confront the issue. And unless I missed something, the rest of the world did nothing in effect. And there is also the problem, which isn't talked about much, that Suu Kyi herself agreed (silently) with the generals that the Rohingya didn't belong in Burma, and there was and is almost zero support among ordinary Burmese for them. I'm not saying any of this is right, but that it is the reality. 

Thailand has an appalling record when it comes to Rohinga refugees fleeing Burma by boat trying to find asylum in Thailand.  Everything from forcing them back out to see without food or water or the Navy shooting them. There was also a mass grave of Rohinga refugees discovered down south. 

So i would say Thailand pretty much failed at human rights in these cases.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Dutyfirst said:

Thailand has an appalling record when it comes to Rohinga refugees fleeing Burma by boat trying to find asylum in Thailand.  Everything from forcing them back out to see without food or water or the Navy shooting them. There was also a mass grave of Rohinga refugees discovered down south. 

So i would say Thailand pretty much failed at human rights in these cases.  

I don't disagree with you at all, although some links to the things you mention would be interesting. Thailand isn't likely to win any awards regarding human rights. My favorite peeve is that the children of Burmese refugees in the 9 camps on the Thai side of the border receive no educational benefits from the Thai government. Also a poll of Thai citizens as to whether their government ought to give consideration to the human rights of groups like the Rohingya would probably result in a big nothing, although I could be wrong; it's just the reality around here, at least for now.

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

And in world news refugees fleeing the Burmese military are being forced back over the border by the Thai military.  Apears both militaries are working together.  Human rights Thai style.

and being shot by the Myanmar army when they forced back to Myanmar by the Thai army , according to a BBC news report .

20 hours ago, YetAnother said:

i love this guy; we hear the news and immediately suspect what might happen; a week later, he does

Guess he thought about the possibility far before you.

Don't get the idea the man is stupid, he isn't, far from it.

• Haha 1

Nobody wants to live under a dictatorship. Not really. Where the authorities can arrest and terrorize you for sharing your opinion. Where they censor information they don't want you to see. Where they lie so they can stay in power and take money from the people. Not really.

You would think that countries in which dictators rule by force are unstable and that eventually the people will overthrow them like in Eastern Europe and the USSR and some of the middle east. But maybe the people also need outside help like with Nazi Germany, Italy and Imperial Japan.

I don't know if the Mynanarese people will be strong enough to get rid of their dictators.  Or whether other dictators will step in to prevent that. 

I wonder how the Chinese and Russian dictatorships - the two main sources of present-day dictatorships - will eventually fall. Whether it will be a long or short time. 

• Like 1