Virtual US phone number options that are reliable

NanLaew

I gave up on my US mobile numbers as I was using them less and less and it wasn't worth the monthly minimum 'keep alive' options as I live here in Thailand. One of my US banks is changing their online verification to SMS or some form of two-part verification. I believe that Skype and Google may not be the best options for a virtual number as certain institutions will block their use. So I am looking for something that is robust, reliable and works. I still have a US residential address and someone who could facilitate setting things up on that side if that's a more viable option.

Thanks!

NL

• 4 weeks later...

Google Voice works for 90%+ of my U.S. banking SMS needs, and of course it's freely available for U.S. folks.  Whether and how much it would meet your needs depends on what particular financial entities you're dealing with. But easy enough to do a bit of online checking and/or just set it up, and give it a try.

If you have someone in the U.S. who's willing to activate a mobile service SIM there, and then send you the activated SIM here, the $3 a month Paygo prepaid mobile service from UltraMobile works well here and is a real mobile number, so should have no problem receiving financial SMSs.

TextNow is another option that can be done as a free Android app, and/or a very inexpensive mobile SIM service. The app based service can be used here for free with no U.S. activation required. But their low cost SIM-based mobile service does have to be first activated in the U.S.  Both are capable of receiving SMSs in general, though I haven't used them so much for financial 2FA purposes.

International roaming (GSM) is the issue, unless the provider supports WiFi calling.

US Mobile and Ultra Mobile do, others may.

Assuming you have a friend in the U.S....

Buy an Ultra Mobile SIM on eBay ($13), set-up account, have friend activate it. ~ $40/year

Once activiated have friend set-up a GV account using the UM number for registration. free Or if you still have a mobile number, port that to GV.

Buy a free US Mobile SIM, set-up account, have friend activate SIM. ~ $50 /yr

Have both SIMs mailed to you.

I've used Talkatone, free Android app for years, works well. I too use GV for all my 2FA requirements, no issues whatsoever. And I do have a T-Mo int'l roaming SIM (old PAYG plan, pay ~ $50 /yr) as back-up.  I just bought an Ultra Mobile SIM but not yet shipped/activated.

• 9 months later...

I have spent a lot of time researching this issue. I have tried virtually every virtual US phone number option. If you simply need to receive a text, any of them will work. The problem is, especially to start service or open a credit card or bank account, many American companies use a third-party service. It requires you to have an American cell phone plan, postpaid only, with Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile. It needs to be billed to your US address, and you need to be making calls recently in that area. I tried a two mobile prepaid, not allowed. My friend in New York has a US cell phone on my account. I called Verizon and said I will be using that from now please connect it to my address of record in Florida. They did that. It is still not accepted by capital One Bank and others. When I visit US this year, I will reactivate my Verizon cell phone, get the accounts I need, and then discontinue it again. They not only want to protect themselves against fraud, they don’t want you living overseas.

6 minutes ago, flbkk said:

I have spent a lot of time researching this issue. I have tried virtually every virtual US phone number option. If you simply need to receive a text, any of them will work.

No, that's simply not true...

If we're talking about real "virtual" U.S. phone numbers as opposed to actual regular mobile carrier numbers (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile), the ability to receive financial institution SMS messages is going to depend on the system and protocols used by the F.I.

In my case, most of my F.I.s will still send SMS codes to my Google Voice number. But other members here have more U.S. F.I.'s that will NOT send to G.V. and other virtual providers. They want actual traditional carrier numbers. It  depends on the institution.

Also, if memory serves, as another example, the virtual provider TextNow announced sometime back that their free monthly service would longer support bank code SMSs, and users would need to opt for one of their paid plans to receive those.

"Free accounts (WiFi-only and Nationwide Talk & Text with Ads) do not support verification codes"

https://help.textnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500002893921-Does-TextNow-Support-Verification-Codes-

1 hour ago, flbkk said:

The problem is, especially to start service or open a credit card or bank account, many American companies use a third-party service.

Yeah, these are called credit bureaus: Equifax, Experian, TransUnion, Innovis.

Most of these discussions here are about receiving 2FA OTPs. Sometimes we venture into registration for some service like login.gov or id.me. Everyone here has unique situations and requirements. We can usually fashion a decent recommendation once we understand what they really need.

You're asking about something a bit more complex.

Can you give an example of something you're trying to do?

You should be able to get a new credit card, assuming decent credit status, but you will need to provide a physical address.

If you had to guess, what address do you think say, Experian has for you now? (You can get a free account at Experian, but you may need a number to receive an SMS, GV works for me with Experian, but I need to sue a VPN here.)

Do you have any faux presence in the U.S.?

FWIW, there is no requirement that a cell service be post-paid per se. Credit reports may use this, as they would a utility bill, to ascertain your physical location, and credit-worthiness.

Edited by mtls2005