list of insurers against COVID19

You may want to clarify what you are looking for, short term coverage to visit Thailand or long term coverage living in Thailand. One is travel type insurance, the other is health type insurance.

It would be very difficult to create a comprehensive list. For instance, there are thousands of companies that provide travel insurance, and some of those (but not all) include Covid cover. It is best just to look for recommendations from people who have found good deals.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

This it the official site for covid 19 insurance. https://www.tipinsure.com/CovidRegional/product_detail

At the bottom of the page the insurance companies participating in it are shown.

You may know whether I can change the dates of insurance in case the flight days will change?  is 200 USD for 30 days not a little high? My non "O" has expired, which is my status now? 

11 minutes ago, GeKoSc said:

You may know whether I can change the dates of insurance in case the flight days will change?  is 200 USD for 30 days not a little high? My non "O" has expired, which is my status now? 

I assume you'll be entering Visa exempt. (Free Visa status) 

I get a quote of 1,600 baht for 30 days cover.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I assume you'll be entering Visa exempt. (Free Visa status) 

I get a quote of 1,600 baht for 30 days cover.

Strange, I did get a much higher quote (2,560 baht) for my home country. Also, what is "Country of Origin"? The country where I get onto the plane, or the one that issued my passport?

14 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Strange, I did get a much higher quote (2,560 baht) for my home country. Also, what is "Country of Origin"? The country where I get onto the plane, or the one that issued my passport?

Country of origin is the one you start your trip to here from.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I stated the origin as Vietnam as that will be your point of departure.

Just confirmed above by UJ.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 8:42 AM, GeKoSc said:

Coming from Vietnam I will enter Thailand for quarantaine  (short term) 

Some options listed here:

1 - As UbonJoe and Tanoshi indicated TIP < https://www.tipinsure.com/CovidRegional/product_detail  > provides covid-19 ONLY insurance, but it will depend on your age/country of origin, whether that is your best option.

2 - When you are under 70 years of age you can also subscribe to SafetyWing travel-insurance package < https://www.tipinsure.com/CovidRegional/product_detail > which not only covers covid-19 treatment but provides full and decent coverage of any accident/illness you might encounter while in Thailand, and this at an premium that is often even LOWER than the TIP covid-19 insurance.

3 - AXA Sawasdee travel-insurance might also be of interest for you < https://direct.axa.co.th/TA-Inbound/CoverageOptionPlan?tag=axa-sawasdee-thailand-travel-insurance >.  You could compare the premium/coverage with SafetyWing, and then decide on the option that provides best value for your particular needs.

4 - When flying Emirates, you get FREE 100.000 US $ covid-19 insurance included in your ticket-price.  This for 30 days when booking one-way (which unfortunately is not sufficient as a VisaExempt entry provides you with a 45 days permission to stay stamp, and the insurance to meet CoE requirements must cover the full period of the permission to stay you would receive on entering Thailand).

However, when booking a return-flight, the FREE Emirates covid-19 insurance will cover the full period of your trip .  When you do not know when you will use that return-leg, it is recommended to book a flexible return-ticket with the return date after permission to stay expiry, so that you can use that return-leg ticket at a moment convenient for you.

12 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

However, when booking a return-flight, the FREE Emirates covid-19 insurance will cover the full period of your trip .  When you do not know when you will use that return-leg, it is recommended to book a flexible return-ticket with the return date after permission to stay expiry, so that you can use that return-leg ticket at a moment convenient for you.

There was an example on this or another forum where the COE was refused because the return date was beyond the permission to stay. I suspect this may not be consistently applied.

2 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

There was an example on this or another forum where the COE was refused because the return date was beyond the permission to stay. I suspect this may not be consistently applied.

Thanks for this comment.

Yes indeed, when you enter VisaExempt or on a 60-day Tourist Visa you need a ticket for an outward-bound flight prior to expiry of your permission to stay.

And that conflicts with the requirement for a covid-19 treatment insurance that covers the full period of the permission to stay you will receive on entering Thailand, thus making the FREE Emirates covid-19 insurance unusable for a short-stay entry when you ALSO need to meet that outward-bound flight requirement.  

But you could of course buy a cheap one-way throw-away ticket or a 10-12 US $ onward-ticket to meet the outward-bound flight requirement on top of your Emirates return-flight, thus making use of the FREE Emirates covid-19 insurance for your full trip.

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes indeed, when you enter VisaExempt or on a 60-day Tourist Visa you need a ticket for an outward-bound flight prior to expiry of your permission to stay.

That is correct for a visa exempt entry. If you have a valid visa a onward ticket is not required for entry to the country. It may require a onward ticket to apply for a tourist visa but not for entry.

• Like 1

A friend is telling me that he cannot get the covid insurance because he is too old. I believe that he is 76 years old.

Are there any workable options for him?

He intends to enter visa-exempt from the US and convert to a non-O with long stay extension based on being married to a Thai.

8 minutes ago, Issanman said:

A friend is telling me that he cannot get the covid insurance because he is too old. I believe that he is 76 years old.

He intends to enter visa-exempt from the US and convert to a non-O with long stay extension based on being married to a Thai.

I think you will find your friend is talking about broader health insurance (that includes covid cover). Covid only cover to visit Thailand often doesn't have age restrictions,

Edited by Peterw42

57 minutes ago, Issanman said:

Itinerary Detail : Gain Peace of Mind Get Online Coverage : Thai General Insurance Association (tipinsure.com)

Covid-19 Insurance. Eligibility: Any person aged between 1-99 years of age on the date of application.

He may be confusing it with the Health Insurance.

If he applies for the Non O at the Embassy beforehand, no Health Insurance is required when married to a Thai - only the Covid Insurance.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Issanman said:

If your friend does not have foreign/international health-insurance or his travel-insurance does not meet the covid-19 coverage of at least 100.000 US $, he does not have many options as many insurance companies will not provide him with a policy that covers covid-19 treatment when over a certain age (70 and 75 often being the 'cut off' ages).

As your friend would enter Thailand VisaExempt he would only need it for the period of the permission to stay he would receive on entering Thailand (45 days), so the cost would be limited.

Here are his options:

1 - The Thai TGIA insurance < https://covid19.tgia.org/ > is rather expensive for only providing coverage of covid-19 treatment.  But the main advantage with that Thai policy is that you can subscribe to it till 99 years of age (and there is NO difference in premium per age-category which is of course ridiculous from an insurance perspective).

2 - When flying Emirates, he will get FREE 100.000 US $ covid-19 insurance included in the ticket-price.  This for 30 days when booking one-way (which is not sufficient to cover the permission to stay he would receive on entry), but the insurance would cover the full period of his trip when booking a return-flight.  In his case, booking a flexible return-ticket with return date after permission to stay expiry could be a worthwhile option, if he intends to fly back say within 12 months.

3 - if he is under 75 years of age (you wrote that you are not sure about his actual age), he might also consider AXA Sawasdee travel-insurance < https://direct.axa.co.th/TA-Inbound/CoverageOptionPlan?tag=axa-sawasdee-thailand-travel-insurance >.  That - very reasonably priced - full travel-insurance policy provides covid-19 coverage as part of its very decent coverage of any accident/illness he might encounter while in Thailand.

= = = = =

You also wrote that > He intends to enter visa-exempt from the US and convert to a non-O with long stay extension based on being married to a Thai.

In that case it would probably be a better option for him, to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage at the Thai Embassy/Consulate in his home-country.

The advantage of doing so, is that he would not have to apply for that 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage once he arrives in Thailand (as he would already have it).

And at the end of the 90-day permission to stay he would receive on entry, directly apply for the 1-year extension based on that Visa.  In order to do so he would need to have +400.000 THB seasoned for at least two months on a personal Thai bank-account, at the moment of application.  So it would be a matter of him opening a bank-account on arrival and transferring +400.000 THB to that account at least 2 months before he plans to apply for that 1-year extension.

So the main advantage of already having applied for that Non Imm O Visa in his home-country, is that he can skip that initial 90-day Non Imm O Visa application once he is in Thailand (and the home-country application is far easier than the in-country application).

Another advantage is that he would not need to have an outward bound ticket when arriving on a Non Imm O Visa, and such outward bound ticket is required for a VisaExempt entry < that specific issue has been discussed in earlier posts in this thread >

The down-side of applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage in his home-country's Thai Embassy, is that under current CoE requirements, it would require

that his covid-19 treatment insurance would cover at least 90 days (the permission to stay from a 90-day Non Imm O Visa entry) instead of the 45 days required for a VisaExempt entry.  In practice that means he would have to pay 1 month extra covid-19 insurance, but of course when he opts for the Emirates FREE insurance option that would not make any difference cost-wise.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1