why does everyone wants the cheapest PC

robblok

On 4/2/2021 at 10:55 AM, Surelynot said:

Good question......I also wonder why anyone even wants a PC? Is it to do with gaming? If not, I find a laptop perfectly adequate and I can take it every where I go.

Why not have both. I have an all in one desktop in my private room as my main one, was ready to throw it out and some kind posters advised me to get an SSD fitted, which I did, and it has been perfect ever since, then there is the folding up laptop used when I am away from home, laptops in both the bedroom and living room.

On 4/2/2021 at 11:38 AM, Oldie said:

I have a high end PC and a very good notebook. The only thing I use all the time is my tablet. It has a big screen and is fast - it is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 Plus. No need for the PC and notebook anymore. I can't sit with them in the bed... 

"I can't sit with them in the bed...".  Why not? My laptop folds into a tent and I watch movies and TV shows on it when I am traveling and in a hotel, I lie on the bed, stick the laptop on a pillow and watch away in comfort. 

29 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"I can't sit with them in the bed...".  Why not? My laptop folds into a tent and I watch movies and TV shows on it when I am traveling and in a hotel, I lie on the bed, stick the laptop on a pillow and watch away in comfort. 

I think this thread demonstrates its all horses for courses - I have an office where I work, I have an automated media server in the officel, I spend about 10 mins maintaining that in the morning over coffee and then I start work or I spend a day tinkering on the server. Sometimes, i check my tablet outside of the office room, but other thank that office is for working, lounge is for lounging / watching TV and bedroom is for sleeping.

Each to their own tho’

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I think this thread demonstrates its all horses for courses - I have an office where I work, I have an automated media server in the officel, I spend about 10 mins maintaining that in the morning over coffee and then I start work or I spend a day tinkering on the server. Sometimes, i check my tablet outside of the office room, but other thank that office is for working, lounge is for lounging / watching TV and bedroom is for sleeping.

Each to their own tho’

Sometimes I prefer using the bedroom for something else.????

23 hours ago, robblok said:

I will stay in the car analogy. You cant expect a sports car and a truck or a normal personal car all do the same thing. Same goes for computers. For some a laptop is best for others a pc and again others prefer a tablet.

But that does not mean you always need to go for the cheapest version of what you want. Sometimes a bit more money makes a big difference.

I own computers since 30 years and expensive or cheap, if you are not a hardcore gamer or video processor, there is no difference, this is BS.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, samtab said:

I own computers since 30 years and expensive or cheap, if you are not a hardcore gamer or video processor, there is no difference, this is BS.

Not BS at all.. difference between owning a computer and building them like i did. So i guess i got a bit more experience then you. A different power supply can make a difference on the lifespan of your computer also prevent some other problems. Same goes for a motherboard with better capacitors. 

You just don't know that much stick with cars you seem to know your German cars. Just like with cars more expensive computers are better. Its not just speed that is better. Lifespan can be better. But i guess you never go the guest of my remarks.

Point was just stuff like a bit more expensive power supply will not add too much to the price but do a lot to prevent problems add to lifespan.

6 hours ago, robblok said:

If you keep using your old software not upgrade then 14 years is possible. It will probably not do well with current software if its heavy. But that is how you keep it. I personally would not buy second hand stuff. But its cheaper. I would worry about it breaking.

What are you talking about??

Keep using old software?? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Laptop began life with Linux, then went to XP, then Windows 7 and now Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

All software is the latest.

It was bought new. Other laptops I have purchased have been in new condition with a full warranty. No need for irrational fears.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, robblok said:

I think its mainly that people don't know that a lil better changes a lot of things and that many people don't care as much about computers as I do. Logical as i work behind it. Seems that for some things cheapest beer, cheapest PC there is a large group of people who need that. 

I just think over all those years its not much difference in money.

Sorry, but this is just more nonsense.

So I have spent 21,000 baht(when the baht was 70 to the £) fourteen years ago. I spent perhaps £6 on 4 GB of RAM, £25 to £30 on an SSD and another £6 on a better CPU.

So a total cost of let's say £350 over fourteen years. £25 per annum. That is literally the most that I have ever personally spent on a laptop. 

Tell me how much you have spent on any of your devices over those fourteen years.

Just because you want to believe something, it doesn't make it true.

My desktop £65 in total and that's been running for a few years already; born in 2009.

So you can keep writing it, but don't expect anyone to believe it. My inexpensive old stuff just keeps doing it's job.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 10:55 AM, Surelynot said:

I also wonder why anyone even wants a PC?

I have a 27" Mac desktop.. I use it to watch sports and movies and everything else...  but you are right - it would be nasty to carry it around with me, though the new models are lighter

36 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

What are you talking about??

Keep using old software?? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Laptop began life with Linux, then went to XP, then Windows 7 and now Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

All software is the latest.

It was bought new. Other laptops I have purchased have been in new condition with a full warranty. No need for irrational fears.

Are you saying your 14 year old laptop is running windows 10 pro without problems. What are its specs ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Sorry, but this is just more nonsense.

So I have spent 21,000 baht(when the baht was 70 to the £) fourteen years ago. I spent perhaps £6 on 4 GB of RAM, £25 to £30 on an SSD and another £6 on a better CPU.

So a total cost of let's say £350 over fourteen years. £25 per annum. That is literally the most that I have ever personally spent on a laptop. 

Tell me how much you have spent on any of your devices over those fourteen years.

Just because you want to believe something, it doesn't make it true.

My desktop £65 in total and that's been running for a few years already; born in 2009.

So you can keep writing it, but don't expect anyone to believe it. My inexpensive old stuff just keeps doing it's job.

Oh far more then you but I use it for different purposes then you. I use it for work and unlike you the speed extra costs have already paid themselves back in more profit and time saved. So while you were losing money, I was making money because the computers got faster I had less problems then with my older cheaper PC. 

Sure you got old stuff and are proud about it.. that does not make it so that an 11 year old pc is as good as a new one. But it all depends what you do on it. You probably have a lot less demands then I have. But then again your losing money on your purchase while I am making money on it. 

• Like 1

Just now, robblok said:

Are you saying your 14 year old laptop is running windows 10 pro without problems. What are its specs ?

That is exactly what I am stating. No issues whatsoever.

Running with an AMD TL-60 processor. No issues at all. Though forget about trying to play media over 720p. But not a problem for a travel laptop in day to day usage. I have a large screen TV for media.

• Haha 1

Just now, Eindhoven said:

That is exactly what I am stating. No issues whatsoever.

Running with an AMD TL-60 processor. No issues at all. Though forget about trying to play media over 720p. But not a problem for a travel laptop in day to day usage. I have a large screen TV for media.

Though forget about trying to play media over 720p. You call that functioning. HD is the norm currently. Sorry what you call functioning is not what i call functioning. 

• Like 1

Just now, robblok said:

Oh far more then you but I use it for different purposes then you. I use it for work and unlike you the speed extra costs have already paid themselves back in more profit and time saved. So while you were losing money, I was making money because the computers got faster I had less problems then with my older cheaper PC. 

Sure you got old stuff and are proud about it.. that does not make it so that an 11 year old pc is as good as a new one. But it all depends what you do on it. You probably have a lot less demands then I have. But then again your losing money on your purchase while I am making money on it. 

What is this nonsense about you making money whilst I was losing it? How would you know that?

Just more nonsense in post after post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, robblok said:

Though forget about trying to play media over 720p. You call that functioning. HD is the norm currently. Sorry what you call functioning is not what i call functioning. 

Yes, I call that functioning since I don't watch video on my laptop, but stream or play directly via the TV.

I have higher spec devices at home, but I use this laptop for travel...because I have higher spec devices at home.

The fact is that it blows your ridiculous theory out of the water; so now you are scrambling around looking for ways to make your theory fit.

Now it's some nonsense about your expensive PC making you money.

Did you write that in your OP as being the reason why they should spend more on a PC? Totally ridiculous.

Why don't you just stop digging and admit that one size down not fit all?

• Haha 1

What is this nonsense about you making money whilst I was losing it? How would you know that?

Just more nonsense in post after post.

No its no nonsense. Your using an old machine that can't even play over 720p and call it functioning. I call time saved (especially in a work environment money won). In my work newer computers and better keyboards have saved me much time. If i had to do it with a machine like yours id be losing so much time (money) id go crazy. 

I guess it never occurred to you that time saved (work wise) with faster computers means your making money.  Faster backups bigger screen more overview so i can work faster. Special keyboard with a row of extra programable keys. Again over the years saved loads of time. 

Unlike you i use my computer for business. So i make money with it the faster i can work the more money i can make. So i lose money with slow computers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Who stated that an eleven year old PC was as good as a new one??

The statement was that not everyone needs an expensive PC.

Whereas you are pushing everyone to spend more because you spend more. It's clearly a ridiculous premise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eindhoven said:

Yes, I call that functioning since I don't watch video on my laptop, but stream or play directly via the TV.

I have higher spec devices at home, but I use this laptop for travel...because I have higher spec devices at home.

The fact is that it blows your ridiculous theory out of the water; so now you are scrambling around looking for ways to make your theory fit.

Now it's some nonsense about your expensive PC making you money.

Did you write that in your OP as being the reason why they should spend more on a PC? Totally ridiculous.

Why don't you just stop digging and admit that one size down not fit all?

No it blows your theory out of the water as your now admitting that your old computer cant do normal tasks. 

Again it all depends what you use your computer for I said that countless times. You don't seem to get that. Sure if you limit what you do (cant even play a hd movie) then sure it keeps functioning. 

• Like 1

Who stated that an eleven year old PC was as good as a new one??

The statement was that not everyone needs an expensive PC.

Whereas you are pushing everyone to spend more because you spend more. It's clearly a ridiculous premise.

No statement was not that everyone needs an expensive PC. That is what you read in it.

My point was not about an expensive PC but about more expensive parts. I meant quality parts. You see a lot of people with a no name cheap power supply, i would go for a bit more expensive one even on a cheap build. Same goes for the case. These are small extra spending's that increase the life of a computer. 

I was not advertising that people take the fastest newest stuff. I was saying take quality parts. Not the cheapest.

• Like 1

Just now, robblok said:

No its no nonsense. Your using an old machine that can't even play over 720p and call it functioning. I call time saved (especially in a work environment money won). In my work newer computers and better keyboards have saved me much time. If i had to do it with a machine like yours id be losing so much time (money) id go crazy. 

I guess it never occurred to you that time saved (work wise) with faster computers means your making money.  Faster backups bigger screen more overview so i can work faster. Special keyboard with a row of extra programable keys. Again over the years saved loads of time. 

Unlike you i use my computer for business. So i make money with it the faster i can work the more money i can make. So i lose money with slow computers.

QED. Your personal circumstances.

Your mistake is applying your personal circumstances and then using them to try to ridicule others for buying equipment that suits their needs and not yours.

No one cares whether you utilise your devices for work. Those are your personal circumstances.

I  don't work here, so I don't need a work computer here. I need a basic laptop for communication. 

I don't need it to play Full HD material, as I have a large screen TV for that. I can use it to download 4k media if necessary.

So it does everything that I need. If it did not, I would have brought one of my other higher spec devices with me.

But I am happy with this low spec laptop because that is all I need right now. 

People should buy what they want, not what you want.  Seriously ridiculous argument.

• Haha 1

No it blows your theory out of the water as your now admitting that your old computer cant do normal tasks. 

Again it all depends what you use your computer for I said that countless times. You don't seem to get that. Sure if you limit what you do (cant even play a hd movie) then sure it keeps functioning. 

Sorry but you are still writing nonsense.

HD is 720p. Full HD is 1080p.

I can do everything that I want to do with this laptop. Who are you to tell me that it isn't good enough for me. Really ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eindhoven said:

QED. Your personal circumstances.

Your mistake is applying your personal circumstances and then using them to try to ridicule others for buying equipment that suits their needs and not yours.

No one cares whether you utilise your devices for work. Those are your personal circumstances.

I  don't work here, so I don't need a work computer here. I need a basic laptop for communication. 

I don't need it to play Full HD material, as I have a large screen TV for that. I can use it to download 4k media if necessary.

So it does everything that I need. If it did not, I would have brought one of my other higher spec devices with me.

But I am happy with this low spec laptop because that is all I need right now. 

People should buy what they want, not what you want.  Seriously ridiculous argument.

Again you are missing the point your so proudly saying your pc still functions. I don't call it functioning.

You should re read my topic. I was only making a point for buying quality parts instead of the cheapest. Guess a lot of people equal quality with faster more ram. 

I was talking about the difference between a no name PSU and brand name one. I was talking about the cheapest motherboard vs a lil bit more expensive one with better parts. 

I was not pushing for higher specs but for better quality so the pc's live longer preform better. 

• Like 2

No statement was not that everyone needs an expensive PC. That is what you read in it.

My point was not about an expensive PC but about more expensive parts. I meant quality parts. You see a lot of people with a no name cheap power supply, i would go for a bit more expensive one even on a cheap build. Same goes for the case. These are small extra spending's that increase the life of a computer. 

I was not advertising that people take the fastest newest stuff. I was saying take quality parts. Not the cheapest.

So clearly my laptop was high quality when purchased; since it is already fourteen years old. So what is your point?

You just muddied your own water by straying into work machines and HD media and.... if the point was high quality parts than you should have stuck to that.

My laptop is obviously high enough quality to have lasted far beyond your three year benchmark.

• Haha 1