Romance scams are back: Thai women pretending to be handsome pilot were working with Nigerian

webfact

20210402_112519-1024x576.jpg
Picture: 77kaoded

Thailand's chief of the tourist police Lt-Gen Nithat Limsiriphan announced the arrest of two Thai women in Phuket who took part in a so-called Romance Scam.

Reporting on a press briefing at Suvarnabhumi Airport yesterday 77kaoded said that Wanida and Thanchanok were arrested on Buriram warrants for posting fake information and acting under false pretences. 

As part of a gang working with a Nigerian man they pretended to be a handsome white skinned pilot called Amit Khan on Facebook who was looking for love.

They showed the victim cash, gold and jewelry that the good looking Amit wanted to send via the airport.

Posing as officials, the women convinced the victim to make cash transfers in the sum of 51,000 baht to enable her to collect the goods at Suvarnabhumi.

They used a Line group under the name of BP Solution to further create the illusion.

When the victim went to the airport there was no such parcel and she reported that she had been scammed. 

Investigations continue in this case to track the Nigerian behind the scam. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

This old scam is still going on?  It's hard to feel sympathetic for incredibly stupid people who would fall for such a thing.

There's one born every minute!

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Ha!

I am waaaay smarter than the Thai romance scammers!

As soon as I get the 8 million dollars that I am going to receive from the illegitimate son of Nigeria's former ruler, I'll teach those Thai scammers a lesson!

????????????????????????????????

As  long as  you  keep  your  hands  off  all the diamonds that they are getting  out  of the country since the overthrown ruler has  arranged for those to be  collected  by me, just out to send the collection fee by  Western Union.

• Haha 1

I used to receive a lot of Nigerian scam emails when I was in Japan so it's not just limited to Thailand.  It's an industry with an international scope.  There are a lot of scammers out there.  Some scams seem believable.  It's best to research every offer which proposes to make money for you.  I was once almost scammed by a Thai female and male farang who said that they wanted to learn how to trade options.  It turned out that they wanted me to buy some options on the Thai Stock Exchange to demonstrate how to trade.  A very slick scam.  Having been scammed by some very well-known American investment advisors, my antennae were up.

It amazes me that people get taken in by a random email, what's so believable about an email ? If a letter from someone you didn'y know came through your letterbox would you send them money. How funny

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

This is a new take on the dangerous issues surrounding 'coffin corner'. 

Wow, just glad it wasn't a female playing Pilotman, and stealing his identity.  One handsome Pilot is enough...lol

• Haha 1

Working in the airline industry for 40plus years i can tell you pilots are the biggest scammers or cheap charlies.   They never have that kind of money since many have ex wives, current wives and girlfriends. Cheapest lot out there on layovers. ????????????‍♂️

2 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

Working in the airline industry for 40plus years i can tell you pilots are the biggest scammers or cheap charlies.   They never have that kind of money since many have ex wives, current wives and girlfriends. Cheapest lot out there on layovers. ????????????‍♂️

I resent that insinuation, however true it may or may not be for others in  my trade.  Not me of course. 

15 hours ago, WHansen said:

If a letter from someone you didn'y know came through your letterbox would you send them money. How funny

reminds me of those chain letters, posted with a coin inside, and told if you don't send one to someone else you will get bad luck by breaking the chain, but you could receive a lot more coins if you did, very similar to pyramid selling.

On 4/3/2021 at 3:15 PM, shackleton said:

It always amazes me reading about these scams 

People never learn money and greed go together 

Why do the Nigerians seem to have a monopoly on these scams

Here in Thailand 

Have you ever  spoken to a Nigerian? From my last encounter, they NEVER shut  up!