Bangkok in the 1970's

sqwakvfr

2 hours ago, wordchild said:

i read that the original hotel for which they substituted the Miami ,(the Santa Cruz) is still standing though these days it goes by a different name. Does anyone remember it or know its location?

Yes, it is in Bangkok, close to seven.

On 4/6/2021 at 3:17 PM, Excel said:

Spent 4 days in BKK in  1974. Next trip back was 1982 when I came to work in Thailand.  Seemed to change a lot in those 8 years but of course once you live here most of the time you don't notice the changes until you look back at photos, same as anywhere. What I will say though is in those days people were still as poor as church mice but they did look happy and smiled always, that is what is missing today but there again any metropolis suffers that fate I think.  

They were deep in the grip of US sponsored anti-communist propaganda, and therefore caught up in its antithesis, establishment-worship brainwashing.

While the west moved on after the cold war, this place didn't. Anyhoo, those slum dwelling smiley faces were just in deep ignorance of the malevolent reality of living under a rock.

The students were a little more woke, and that led to the still suppressed 1976 Thammasat University massacre. Happy days!

Sobraj was also let go free by the BiB to "protect Thailands image" I kid you not.

Little has changed, but it's beginning to turn to dino guano as AI washes over the world, you can see the old guard hanging onto the fetid past like grim death every single day on here, the headlines are gut-busting, if it were not for the price the population are paying for this backwardness, even as many neigbours eat their lunch twelve thousand ways.

Is that fair and balanced enough?