Nearest Border To Bangkok

My tourist visa will be up soon, and I'm looking at doing another visa exemption run. I don't plan to stay in Thailand for another three months, so it seems pointless to go to the hassle of getting another tourist visa.

However, I also don't know exactly when I'll be leaving so I don't want to purchase my air ticket yet. Does anyone know the closest border to Bangkok that doesn't require the onward ticket for visa exemption? How long is the trip and is there anything interesting to do around there?

From some reports it seems I may get away with going to Ban Laem as it would be my first run there since they started requiring the onward ticket. Anyone know if this is possible, or should I not risk it?

As always, thanks for the advice. ThaiVisa has come to the rescue on many, many occasions.

Edited by jeebusjones

I did a 'Visa On Arrival' visa run last Sunday (May 13th) to the Aranyaprathet/Poipet crossing using Jack Total Golf. FWIW I used a single rail ticket from Bangkok to Butterworth, Malaysia as my confirmation to "EXIT THE KINGDOM".

I did a 'Visa On Arrival' visa run last Sunday (May 13th) to the Aranyaprathet/Poipet crossing using Jack Total Golf. FWIW I used a single rail ticket from Bangkok to Butterworth, Malaysia as my confirmation to "EXIT THE KINGDOM".

That's excellent. Where did you purchase your ticket and how much was it? Is it refundable, or do you actually plan to use it?

Any questions at the border?

I bought the ticket from Hua Lamphong, which is the main railway station here in Bangkok and very easy to get to.

Hua Lamphong station has a well-organised reservation office, open daily 8:00am to 4:00pm. From the main entrance, walk towards the platforms, and the reservation office is tucked away on the extreme right, more or less level with the entrance to the platforms. There's a queuing system: When you enter, take a numbered ticket from the machine and wait until your number appears on the display, directing you to a particular reservation counter. The cost is 1,210 baht of which 80% is refundable should you cancel the ticket within 4-days of travel. Alternatively there is a 50 baht fee to postpone and rebook your rail travel, as necessary.

The staff here are friendly and helpful and FWIW...there were no questions asked of me either exiting or re-entering the Aranyaprathet/Poipet border crossing.

Edited by marginline

There were absolutely no questions asked of me although the Immigration Officer (a lady) checking passports exiting LOS chuckled and read aloud the word "Butterworth" as I produced my rail ticket. Btw, I did ask her why she was laughing and all she replied was "It doesn't matter, it's all right" before stamping me out of Thailand.

^^ Thanks Cali, I may try it. Are there any hotels around the border at Mae-Sot, or is it better to stay in Tak? I've never really ventured into that part of Thailand before.

Also, any idea how much the direct VIP bus would cost?

The problem with the vip buses directly to/from morchit / mae-sot is the frequency. On the return trip for example there is only (1) departure from mae-sot at 21:00.

I think you could go over to morchit in the evening and get a vip direct to mae-sot that would arrive in the morning (maybe that would work) vip price 460 baht.Then, I think as badbanker was aluding to, you would need to take the mini-bus to tak, and then get a regular bus home, unless you wanted to wait until 9:30pm.

I took a 2nd class bus from morchit to tak.(because that's what they had in the morning) and I think it was only 240 baht? from the tak bus station, the tuk-tuk guy took me to the http://www.viangtakhotel.com about 2km from bus station.

they had some kind of special going on 350 baht/night. nice hotel,it was a deal.(riverside is their 2nd hotel, more expensive you can see the different addresses on the bottom of the page.)

There are guesthouses in Mae-sot and I'm sure other hotels in Tak but I know it's hard to get info on the internet (because I couldn't either.) at morchit the booth for Tak / Mae-sot is actually outside the building on ground floor.#25-27 I think?

It's a nice change from the Cambodian thing, you get a sense this is really "old Thailand" and the people are so friendly, it was refreshing. Certainly now that they have that air, train, buffalo ticket requirement it's worth at least considering.

Edited by cali4995

Thanks for that detailed information, Cali. I think it may be an excellent idea to take a couple of days and go to Mae Sot, as Cambodia is getting a bit old.

Is the border stamp for Myanmar 500 baht? The last time I went in Ranong, it was $5. Is it different in Mae Sot?

Also, when you took the morning bus, was it possible to make it to the border that day, or did you wait until the next?

Yes I agree jeebusjones, cali’s advice hit’s spot on the mark. With all the recent changes (starting last October) and new requirements to provide this or that as proof you are leaving LOS, I guess it’s like a wake-up call (for me at least) to actually begin appreciating life here in Thailand.

I’m not a boozer and I certainly don’t frequent Soi Cowboy (not that there's anything wrong in doing so) but one thing I am guilty of is living my life as though I was still in the UK or US. As you rightly say jeebusjones – the Cambodia thing IS getting a bit old and perhaps just trying to get the visa run over and done with, I should perhaps wake-up and smell the coffee and begin to experience something anew; like cali’s “old Thailand” where “the people are so friendly”.

Nice posts gentlemen! :o

Sorry jeebusjones, I was trying to explain but it wasn't coming out very well. Bangkok to Chiang-Mai is a regular bus route with Tak being but one provincial stop along the way. Buses go back and forth maybe every 30 minutes. 2nd class(240B) is fine, the bus is orange/red, the seats are still okay and you can even see some Thai movies if you sit near the front.

I guess taking the overnight direct vip bus(460B) has the advantage of you being able to sleep most of the way, but as I said there are limited departures so you would probably need to check in advance. When I got to the Tak bus station I just told the tuk-tuk guy I wanted a hotel about 400B. The viangtak was very nice, truly a bargain at 350B. I think the riverside is their more expensive newer building. Mini-buses leave from the Tak bus station to Mae-sot at least every hour (50B). It's possible to do it on the same day but I was tired I just figured I'd leave it for the morning.

Their are guesthouses in Mae-sot, I remember sitting at the station and on the west side of the square there was a place advertising 150B. I think the hours for the Thai-Myanmar friendship bridge are 7-5. It is only 500B, no grease money required and the Burmese guys were really nice. At both the Thai and Myanmar offices you will see a line of Burmese nationals but It's not actually necessary to wait behind them. At both places there are a separate set of windows you can use. No photo required they take a picture of you with the web-cam. They will ask you if you're going on to the market or just going back and then give you enter/exit stamps.

It's hard to beat the price of the Cambodian trip and it is farther to go but last month that whole onward ticket nonsense was getting so out of control. It's a much prettier trip and I left Tak wishing I'd planned to spend more time there, soak up the ambiance of the place. Some time ago, I think it was lopburi3 who wisely suggested these visa-exempt runs were becoming something of an emergency measure only.True. It's not cheap, you get back a little sore from the marathon bus ride. For what? you don't even get 30 days because you exit/enter the same day. If you leave a day early as I did you get 28 days, 4 weeks. If you can get a 80% refundable train ticket I'm sure Pong-nam-ron is cheaper. Mae-sot is just a little more adventure, something different if you're up for that. Take care, :o

P.S. Marginline /Jeebusjones, I neglected to mention that there are apparently some spectacular waterfalls in the Tak area. I remember seeing billboards. Probably some of those Unseen in Thailand places I never made it to. I've got to do this in another week myself, time to suck-it-up and start making plans.Thanks for the rail tip. What few options we have seem to be vanishing. Happy travelling.

Edited by cali4995

I have been to Mae SOt on many occcasions and there are several good hotels for under 1,000 baht.  

The are is interesting and a good place to buy Thai and Burmese Teak antiques,

Badbanker

Sorry jeebusjones, I was trying to explain but it wasn't coming out very well. Bangkok to Chiang-Mai is a regular bus route with Tak being but one provincial stop along the way. Buses go back and forth maybe every 30 minutes. 2nd class(240B) is fine, the bus is orange/red, the seats are still okay and you can even see some Thai movies if you sit near the front.

I guess taking the overnight direct vip bus(460B) has the advantage of you being able to sleep most of the way, but as I said there are limited departures so you would probably need to check in advance. When I got to the Tak bus station I just told the tuk-tuk guy I wanted a hotel about 400B. The viangtak was very nice, truly a bargain at 350B. I think the riverside is their more expensive newer building. Mini-buses leave from the Tak bus station to Mae-sot at least every hour (50B). It's possible to do it on the same day but I was tired I just figured I'd leave it for the morning.

Their are guesthouses in Mae-sot, I remember sitting at the station and on the west side of the square there was a place advertising 150B. I think the hours for the Thai-Myanmar friendship bridge are 7-5. It is only 500B, no grease money required and the Burmese guys were really nice. At both the Thai and Myanmar offices you will see a line of Burmese nationals but It's not actually necessary to wait behind them. At both places there are a separate set of windows you can use. No photo required they take a picture of you with the web-cam. They will ask you if you're going on to the market or just going back and then give you enter/exit stamps.

It's hard to beat the price of the Cambodian trip and it is farther to go but last month that whole onward ticket nonsense was getting so out of control. It's a much prettier trip and I left Tak wishing I'd planned to spend more time there, soak up the ambiance of the place. Some time ago, I think it was lopburi3 who wisely suggested these visa-exempt runs were becoming something of an emergency measure only.True. It's not cheap, you get back a little sore from the marathon bus ride. For what? you don't even get 30 days because you exit/enter the same day. If you leave a day early as I did you get 28 days, 4 weeks. If you can get a 80% refundable train ticket I'm sure Pong-nam-ron is cheaper. Mae-sot is just a little more adventure, something different if you're up for that. Take care, :o

P.S. Marginline /Jeebusjones, I neglected to mention that there are apparently some spectacular waterfalls in the Tak area. I remember seeing billboards. Probably some of those Unseen in Thailand places I never made it to. I've got to do this in another week myself, time to suck-it-up and start making plans.Thanks for the rail tip. What few options we have seem to be vanishing. Happy travelling.

hi ya

Your alternative to going north would be to head south to Ranong.I live in the south so i use it regulaly and i have'nt been asked for any details(last run was 10th may) ie:onward ticket or proof of funds.

I did use that border when i lived in bkk and i found the nicest way to get there is on the sprinter train that leaves Hua-lumpong(bkk) around 7.45am arrives Chumphon 2.15pm.

This train can get quite busy as its usualy only 3 coaches so it would be wise to book 2-3 days in advance.

You can take a minibus from Chumphon (hour n a half maybe less) to Ranong.

You would probably arrive to late for the border that day but could go 1st thing next morning and be in time to take the minibus back to chumphon.

Tanatwan palace has reasonably prices rooms and the minibus drivers know it well.The minibus office is based next door to Tanatwan.

If they no longer do a visa run service,there's a motorbike taxi rank next door that will get you to immigration.The boat ride to burma is about 30min each way.

Alternatively i'm sure there must be buses going from bkk to ranong but ive never used that route so can't advise.

good luck

Lippy

Yeah I've also done the Ranong trip. It's a nice area, and also worth a few days exploring, especially if you have time to hit some of the nearby islands. It's good to know about the "sprint" train, I took the bus from Bangkok and it was over 9 hours both ways.

But I still have a question about the stamp into Burma. In Ranong, I paid $5. Is that still the case? And is that the price in Mae Sot too? Or is it 500 baht in Mae Sot?

It's 10 US dollars now on the Burmese side from Ranong.

Easily obtainable in Ranong itself from the taxi drivers or their friends, but it will set you back 600 Baht. Obviously cheaper to get the note from a Thai bank first.

BTW,

On the odd occasion I go down to Ranong now, I break the journey up in Chumpon as well - as has been suggested.

A good hotel there is The Chumphon Palace Hotel. It's 400B a night with air con, cable tv, hot water shower, mini bar etc etc. Right in the middle of town, which is pretty quiet at night, but within striking distance of some farang bars if you're in need of fish and chips, pie and chips, whatever and want to chat with some other travellers over a beer or two.

Not the closest, but Freindship bridge at Nong Khai definitely does NOT ask ny questiuons about ongoing travel arrangements.

Trains and busses to Nong Khai or fly to Udon Thani.

Dozens of excellent guest houses from 300 baht.