Songkran could bring new wave of COVID-19 infections, top virologist warns

webfact

so the first time in history, the government has extended songkran to include 12th april.

there are rumours that one of ministers, who partied in one of those thonglor venues thrown by japanese ambassador (confirmed now positive) is also tested positive and attended the government meeting.

the government had a chance to make this very weekend 3-4.04 to extend it to include today and tomorrow holiday, and shorten songkran to only 2 days.

there is also yet another long holiday at beginning of May, from saturday 1.5 to coronation day on 5.5.

much better for the safety, health and economy are extended weekends

• Like 1

The government had this chart in their briefing yesterday showing the trend lines for local COVID cases. If you look to the far right of the chart, you can see the recent trendline beginning to tick upward again. And this chart was prepared before today's spike in numbers.

I believe the red line numbers reflect "local" cases as opposed to imported or migrant numbers.

Screenshot_2.jpg.f109fd5caae1b443a27222104a44f738.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/299937731624558

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe the red line numbers reflect "local" cases as opposed to imported or migrant numbers.

Screenshot_2.jpg.f109fd5caae1b443a27222104a44f738.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/299937731624558

Do you know of any other country on the planet that tries to show (and blame) this data by 'migrants' or foreigners  ? 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Why use old numbers, today's reported number of new domestic cases is 182. Seven are in Chonburi and mostly linked to entertainment venues.

The government needs to lock down again now, or this will spiral out of control. Foreign tourists won't come here if the Covid situation is looking like Brazil's. Prayut and the CCSA need to get a grip or many Thais will end up cursing them for a thousand generations (that's on top of all the people who already do, lol).

U should go for  a walk, it might  do u some good. ????

• Sad 1

Only today, there are reports of 194 new infections in Thailand and I fear that any statement declaring being in control is probably not realistic.

And surely, it must be true that to encourage travel in non-social distancing buses and trains can only lead to further outbreaks.

it is a shame that Songkran cannot be celebrated according to tradition for another year but what is more important than doing all it takes to keep the people safe?

Edited by ChrisKC
typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Do you know of any other country on the planet that tries to show (and blame) this data by 'migrants' or foreigners  ? 

Yep Australia and New Zealand for 2 just off the top of my head I'm sure there are plenty of others who do their numbers by locally acquired and those in quarantine ...which is what its really  about its not a big anti falang conspiracy.  

7 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

With the amount of as yet undetected/tested people in Bangkok, when they go on this annual migration that's becomes a certainty.

Not really,not much happened the last  few holidays.

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

As someone stuck in the UK and waiting for no hoops return to the family, I fear my own UK government opening up to summer flights in Europe this year and bringing new waves in.

I am happy to wait 6 months or so now that we are speeding up vaccination - and most Uk nationals should be covered end summer - shame the EU and their bureaucrats have mucked up Europe. 

But the point is we are so near and about to muck it up if releasing and congregating with unvaccinated people too soon, both UK and Thailand 

@RichardColeman doesnt seem to me your family mean that much to you, cuz you cant be arsed to do a bit of paperwork, id move heaven and earth for my family.   

Edited by paulikens
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, paulikens said:

@RichardColeman doesnt seem to me your family mean that much to you, cuz you cant be arsed to do a bit of paperwork, id move heaven and earth for my family.   

I think this is not something to comment on.   I'm not sure I could do 14 or 10 or even 7 days in jail. I have not seen my fiancee for 15 months.  Our relationship is strong and I feel I can achieve things here to better our future for when she  hopefully can come on a K1 visa that we think is near.  

A 4-6 week visit would cost 2x the price of 18 months ago and 14, now 10, or 7.  With possibility of hospital stay on top. 

I hope these holidays don't result in a big spike like we have seen in USA after most holidays.   This could really effect tourist numbers as well as shut down the US embassy which would delay our reunion.   Some people are trying to be responsible and listen to only doing essential travel. 

4 hours ago, tominbkk said:

Kind of tired seeing that smug 'expert' all the time,.

Yeah, exactly.  And why isn't he double-masked to set an example for the plebs while he's pontificating.  Perhaps he should spend his time pontificating to Thai officials about getting their butt's in gear with vaccine distribution.  How many holidays have come an gone with Khun Yong on the front cover of the press warning that holiday gathering will spike the numbers?  Bunches.