Five foreigners among seven new COVID-19 cases in Chonburi

webfact

563993.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Health officials in Chonburi reported seven more COVID-19 cases on Monday.

Five of the new cases were foreigners - Japanese nationals - who recently attended parties in Bangkok and are likely linked to the recent cluster of infections in the capital.

The other cases are two Thai nationals, one of whom was linked to the group of foreigners and another who had recently travelled from Samut Prakan. 

So far 110 people who had been in contact with the patients have been traced and tested, Naew Na reported. 

Chonburi health officials also urged locals to avoid travelling to entertainment venues in Bangkok following  the recent cluster of cases emanating from the Thonglor and Ekkamai areas. 

The seven new cases reported on Monday and the eight new cases reported in Chonburi on Sunday are the highest number of new cases for several months.

Health officials in Chonburi have stated that the situation is under control but urged everyone to continue to follow the COVID-19  protocols put in place, such as social distancing and mask wearing. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-05

• Sad 1

I know Covid can infect almost anyone but I wonder if Covid spreads more easily among people with closer DNA and habits. Of course, here we have a lot of Japanese people probably from a gathering of other Japanese people. I remember the days when some establishments in BKK had signs which said 'Japanese only' on the entrances. This makes me think that perhaps the parties they came from in Bangkok were only or mostly Japanese. But there are other times when you have groups of people with close DNA and customs. You might even have six siblings in the same family where one might get it and the rest being around all get it easily too. Some strains of Covid might do better in these situations too. After all, the thing goes through a species group in the same way. It might just be easier for an infected Irishman to infect a Brit than it is for him to infect a Pakistani. 

• Confused 5

Japanese from Chonburi partying in Bangkok accompanied by Thais? Apart from the irresponsibility what does Bangkok have that Pattaya doesn't? Must be something that they don't want to do in their own back yard! Gambling or underage Kareoky?

Edited by chilly07
  • Like 1

Just now, Cake Monster said:

It would certainly appear that the Covid Virus is pretty much all over the Country now.

There are outbreaks in Prisons, Bars in Bangkok, Wet Markets, Gov,t Officials, and even a Foreign Diplomat being reported every day now.

IMHO Songkran will be an train crash, but I also hope that I am wrong

Too late to ban Songkran travel?......I think Thais would just ignore a ban unless roads were closed down by the military......secretly hoping a last minute ban comes in....duty bound to visit the wife's family.......not happy.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Five of the new cases were foreigners - Japanese nationals - who recently attended parties in Bangkok and are likely linked to the recent cluster of infections in the capital.

Going pear-shaped again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Haha. I try to avoid anything European , especially French ! ????

Fair enough I can roll with that but, you wouldn't want to be chastised by some French dude ????

We borrowed the phrase en masse from the French: “The mob marched en masse to the Bastille.” It does indeed mean “in a mass,” and you can use that English expression if you prefer, but “in mass” is an error.May 24, 2559 BE

Last 6 words says it all ????

14 hours ago, champers said:

Bangkokians decamp to Pattaya in their thousands at weekends. I presume that the people being found positive already had symptons and went to a hospital where they were tested.

Bodes well for Songkran with the PM, the  health minister & Pipat saying go travel and spend spend spend... [just don't splash water] what could possibly go wrong.

Cars, buses, coaches & trains will be busting at the seams.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

wonder if Covid spreads more easily among people with closer DNA and habits

habits: yes

DNA, given that the issue is worldwide:  unlikely..

8 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

This Government needs to get its act together, and stop flip flopping and get the nation vaccinated before there is an explosion of new infections..... 

Agreed but one suspects that they just don't have the vaccines despite what the propoganda says

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 7:54 AM, KKr said:

habits: yes

DNA, given that the issue is worldwide:  unlikely..

I'm not suggesting immunity. I was suggesting that if it can infect one person with close DNA or genetics as others around them then that virus might go right through that group as it already infected one. I've seen families of chickens and even whole farms get wiped out by viruses. They are so inbred that it seems a virus just goes right through them, while other birds in the area are unaffected. That shows within a species some breeds can be more affected.

On 4/5/2021 at 1:56 PM, bkk6060 said:

Songkran will be the test.  Could start a 3rd wave we will see.

I know its their new year here and they all have time off. But i find it totally irresponsible to allow travelling whilst this is not under control. 

9 hours ago, Smilermike said:

I know its their new year here and they all have time off. But i find it totally irresponsible to allow travelling whilst this is not under control. 

Perhaps the idea is to let everyone return home, and then announce a nation wide full lock down.  This would spread the cases around the country, and maybe provincial medical facilities could cope, rather than having many cases concentrated in a few provinces.

I don't agree with allowing travel at Songkran.  It's mixed messages.  They say covid is a threat so we are shutting bars, but it's fine for you to hop on a bus. 

Maybe they know the numbers are a lot higher than they are reporting.    

• Like 1