Netizens pose question: How did UK variant get into Thailand despite emergency decree?

webfact

11 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

The majority here, I think it's over 60%, die outside of a medical facility, usually at home.

Not everone goes to the hospital.

Hospitalization figures are important of course.

That the "authorities" here have been quick to build field hospitals tells me that they are at least concerned about potential stress on the health care systems here.

They build them already when there where almost no cases , so i wonder did they know more then they where letting out ?? 

image.png.77c1967b237c4ecb847761eb0dc9d87b.png

Notice how the rates of infection are dropping massively in those countries with a robust vaccination program. 
Test and tracing too work in hand. 

So as soon as Thailand follow other countries leads in vaccination & true test & trace systems we will continue in the same vicious cycle! 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's a strain of Covid that was first noticed in the UK, but can and does develop anywhere. 

English must not be your first language.

This variant started in England.  It's already spread all over the world.  

From England.

I think what you're *trying* to say is that this variant could come from anywhere now: Sweden, America, even China.

Anywhere someone who has been to England and then went to other countries and spread it to the population who have never been to England. ????

1 minute ago, SiSePuede419 said:

From England.

I think what you're *trying* to say is that this variant could come from anywhere now: Sweden, America, even China.

Anywhere someone who has been to England and then went to other countries and spread it to the population who have never been to England. ????

This Variant was first noticed in Kent, England which just happens to be on the English channel. The hundreds of illegal asylum seekers everyday to to cross this channel! How many of those have been tested before arrival I would hazard a guess of ZERO!  
It is more likely this variant developed before arrival in the UK and Kent became the epi-centre for its dispersal to wider UK public/World

10 hours ago, Eibot said:

This particular strain has spread out all over the globe. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the dominant version in Myanmar for example. Thailands land borders are not tight at all. Thousands cross daily to do business. The virus could easily be from this. It could also have been flown in. It takes one mistake for it to spread. We all knew it was only a matter of time. 

There are no records of the B117 strain in Myanmar from world databases. There are now 15  records of the B117 strain in Thailand, 9 were from positive cases found in ASQ. The other 6 are from the recent bar outbreaks in BKK. 

It's unlikely to be from Myanmar.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, steve187 said:

so what would be your plan if you were made Prime minister tomorrow

#1. Start vaccinating people and stop making excuses.

#2. Fire the Idiot  Health Minister.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rabas said:

There are no records of the B117 strain in Myanmar from world databases. There are now 15  records of the B117 strain in Thailand, 9 were from positive cases found in ASQ. The other 6 are from the recent bar outbreaks in BKK. 

It would be practically impossible to test for varients of the virus let alone any testing in Myanmar at the moment.  Before the coup Covid-19 was rampant throughout Myanmar.  It certainly isn't getting better.

Vaccination does not quarantee anything. Hundreds of vaccinated people (one or two times) have got it again here. Many found themselves in hospitals, but the death toll for them is still zero. So when vaccinated people start to travel the virus spreads as well (less than now). Key thing seems to be that everyone have been vaccinated and then it's going to be more on the level of the seasonal flu from mortality point of view. Those countries which lag behind in vaccinations will suffer most, one way or another. Business must go on or how we say... 

59 minutes ago, rabas said:

I wouldn't take the fact that there are no records on the world database as an indicator if it's there. Especially in Myanmar and especially at this very moment with all the unrest. Even European countries were/are very unreliable with their strain analyzing. 

Looking at the rampant spread of B117 over the world at this moment, I would find it very unlikely it's not found in Myanmar (or Lao or Cambodia).

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mac1970 said:

Many found themselves in hospitals

There are basically ZERO cases of people who are in the hospital after receiving their vaccination or serious ill due to reinfection. You can still have the virus and spread it, but you won't show symptoms. 

Thats why it's so important we get everyone vaccinated.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

It would be practically impossible to test for varients of the virus let alone any testing in Myanmar at the moment.  Before the coup Covid-19 was rampant throughout Myanmar.  It certainly isn't getting better.

Variants are tracked all the time in near real time. Regional hospitals also stay in contact. 

Reports  in another local source now say a top Thai virologist said Cambodia may be the source. The UK variant was found in people entering Cambodia  from India and China in February, and has spread in Cambodia since then, he said.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

More testing will simply create more panic, the UK was testing 400,000 people per day, with 4% false positives (estimated by the Lancet) there were possibly 16,000 false positives per day and the UK and many other nations tested itself into a panic. 

The true metric is hospitalisations - those with serious symptoms. 

Many seem to be in a panicked frenzy regarding Covid-19. I agree that it's serious, those in risk groups need to be protected. What happened in Italy and Spain in early 2020 is frightening, but, what we are not seeing with all these increased cases in Thailand is increased deaths or any reporting of increased hospitalisations. 

Maybe we have not yet observed the full impact of the increased cases. 

I have not detected any panic in the UK , a certain amount of unease , perhaps a little fear but no panic.

The bottom line is that there is no good reason not to avail oneself of maximum data on this virus , that can only be achieved by mass testing.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Despite the fact that Thailand has had the emergency decree in place for a year now and there is strict quarantine on arrivals - how did the UK variant come into the country?

Why does it have to be thought of as a UK specific unique variant?

It has often already been noted this Covid mutates quickly

What if UK variant is a version that can spring from Covid anywhere?

What if this version was just first seen in UK?

12 hours ago, Eibot said:

Even though the Kent strain is also the dominant version in the States... haha.

People are very shortsighted here and I know what you mean. Similar to people blaming the Spanish for the Spanish flu.

but we cannot call it the Chinese virus... because that would be unfair to our benevolent cousins

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

They also wondered where this came from in the UK.

Looking at the map and locating where Kent is helps to clarify the situation when you combine it with the knowledge that France had a massive and unprecedented surge in COVID infections a couple of months prior to the 'UK Variant' being detected by those scientists in the UK who perform half of the entire worlds viral sequencing.

Here's a google maps copy/paste of Kent :

image.png.5258398d74ee53f6773a6a39e8c58e67.png

This reminds me of those school tests that never made much sense. Locate Kent on the map that doesn't have Kent.

4 hours ago, WHATREALLYMATTERS said:

Put on any number of masks, and walk into a walk in freezer... at a restaurant or such!

Close the door and chill!

Whilst you are in there... with any number of masks... continue breathing, and shortly note the gas fumes from your exhalation forming a cloud about you!

Cheers!

Are you saying that you can breathe with any number of masks on? I don't think you understand the function of the mask.

1 hour ago, joecoolfrog said:

I have not detected any panic in the UK , a certain amount of unease , perhaps a little fear but no panic.

The bottom line is that there is no good reason not to avail oneself of maximum data on this virus , that can only be achieved by mass testing.

I was referring to panic in Thailand, but there are also folk in the UK who are terribly frightened by this virus. 

I agree, by all means, avail ourselves of the maximum data, but in doing so there is a responsibility to ensure the data is wholly correct and not influenced by agenda or politics. 

For example... the example I used of the claim made by medical experts published in a paper in the Lancet that 4% of Covid-19 PCR tests resulted in a false positive - False positives leads to ‘false data’ - thus any positive test should be re-taken to conform and reduce the ‘false positive error margin’.

Additionally, died ‘with’ covid ?? Really, we all know this is a major flaw in any of the statics we read - Died due to respiratory difficulties as a direct result of a Covid-19 induced cytokine storm overwhelming the immune system....   i.e. died ‘directly because of’ Covid-19. 

So.. As we have seen, maximum data is not a good thing... the race to report mass data first before reporting mass data accurately is a major flaw in the manner in which Covid-19 has been handled globally. 

I’m not suggesting I would have or could have handled the information any differently given the initial panic and insatiable media appetite for a news bite and distortion of simple facts.

But, I do know that the results of mass testing as a metric must be understood and handled by scientists because laymen and the media are not able to handle or understand the flaws and idiosyncrasies of such broad spectrum and ultimately flawed stats. 

If any other disease were teased for to the same degree there would also be huge outbreaks of.... ...  Influenza, Herpes, Chlamydia, Staph (bacteria), Syphilis, Gonorrhea, Norovirus, Hepatitis, rotavirus.... 

I draw the analogy - IF we were to take the top 20 best sellers (books) - and ran a spell and grammar checker, we would find error and faults throughout, to an alarming level (given there best sellers) - but we’re not concentrating on the faults so we don’t find them. 

Obviously the best seller analogy doesn’t suit a comparison to ‘viruses’.. but if we are searching high and low for Covid-19 cases they will be found and the more we search the more we will find. 

IF, 10 years ago we were to search for a virus very closely matching SARS-CoV-2 we may well have found a harmless variant... There an almost infinitesimal number of viruses in the universe (more than stars), but only some infect us....  

.... Or only some infect a small percentage of us such that is causes a problem (i.e. SARS-CoV-2), but a tiny percentage of a lot of people is still a troubling amount. 

4 hours ago, WHATREALLYMATTERS said:

Put on any number of masks, and walk into a walk in freezer... at a restaurant or such!

Close the door and chill!

Whilst you are in there... with any number of masks... continue breathing, and shortly note the gas fumes from your exhalation forming a cloud about you!

Cheers!

You don’t understand the difference between water vapour and water droplets....

Water vapour ‘breathed out’  has a mean diameter of 10-15 microns... Water droplets, mucus and sputum, sneezes, coughed out and expelled from the respiratory system of an asymptomatic or unwell person is significantly different and are 1000x larger and for the most part ’blocked’ from being expelled out any distance by a mask.

Thats why it is thought masks can be effective as one of the measures contributing towards the prevention of transmission. 

The virus is not thought to be carried by aerosol - i.e. water vapour from our breath, but from our ‘sneezes and coughs’ yes... 

Cheers!

5 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

From England.

Sorry but you're wrong. The variant was first detected in England. That doesn't mean it originated in England. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

From England.

sigh.....

first detected in Kent, England,

Have a look at a map of England and the location of the county of Kent. 

I will help you as much as I can to understand...

Look at transport networks, such as the M20 and southern/ eastern most stretch of the A20.

Great... good work.

Now look at the M2 and southernmost part of the A2.

Very good....

Notice anything? or would you like more help....?

I'll give you one more clue..... 2 of the largest ports in Europe, Rotterdam and Antwerp.....

Use your imagination... you'll get it I'm sure...

Still struggling? Next lesson we will talk about cross Channel traffic, the Port of Dover, and the freight shuttle service that uses the Channel Tunnel. Also how goods move from sea ports to their destinations. If we have time, maybe we'll go into the ports of origin of most of the container traffic that heads to Europe.

Please keep the 'D' hat on until then.

Thank you. Class dismissed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

What gets me the most is things like the demonstration against the Covid measurements taken by the German government in Stuttgart last weekend. Lots of demonstrators, most of them without masks and no safety distance, demonstrating against the very thing they are prolonging by not wearing masks and not keeping their distance. How frocking cretinous can you be?! 

Some people very....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, n00dle said:

Like it matters.

Pom Flu it is and will ever be.

Oh mate, that’s a cold dagger to the heart of the motherland.

Anyway, it will be with you shortly as we always ship our national embarrassments down under. 

23 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's just a new strain of the virus that was first identified in the UK, hence the name.  This new strain will develop (and now has developed) anywhere. It doesn't have to be imported from the UK.  

I agree. It baffles me why "experts" lead people to think it had to come from UK.