Netizens pose question: How did UK variant get into Thailand despite emergency decree?

webfact

2 hours ago, Eibot said:

Even though the Kent strain is also the dominant version in the States... haha.

People are very shortsighted here and I know what you mean. Similar to people blaming the Spanish for the Spanish flu.

‘Shortsighted'? Rather generous- they’re mostly ill informed,uneducated and frequently rather thick. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Ah the standard deflection of those who see the UK variant as an insult. Face it. It was found in the UK and called the Uk variant because of it. It was not found in France first. Why do you make such a problem of it. Its not as if the Brits did anything wrong. A virus mutates and that is nobodies fault. Just like the virus origin is in China but can't blame China for it also. Unless it was man made but there is no proof for that.

It’s ill informed people not understanding the label simply denotes place of first detection (so that would be most in Thailand),but that’s a false equivalence on China who at best had unsafe practices which caused the jump of the virus into humans in the first instance 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It didn't "walk in" with anyone!  It's a strain of Covid that was first noticed in the UK, but can and does develop anywhere.  Viruses mutate and new strains develop - that's why you need a new flu vaccination every year.

That's not quite true. There have been dozens of so-called varients of this virus identified thus far. Most are weaker an ineffective. They are all unique in their cell structure and this is recognised and identified.

The UK labs are foremost in identification and immediately share information with all other nations.

The Thai scientists will have this information and are well capable of "matching" it with the UK varient.

The fact that they have noted that the structures are identical makes their concerns reagring importation real.

It would be a virtual impossibility for two identical strains to arise unilaterally in counties on the opposite side of the world.

As others have said, mass testing is the answer for now. Mass vaccination is essential and needed urgently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

Whatever happens, it is interesting to see how this is being associated with the British. Inevitable that Thais are going to blame them the more that they hear "UK variant" used, although I don't know what else to call it.  Might be unfair, but it's clear that it is going to happen. It's one reason the past two days I've gone out of my way to make sure people know I'm an American, not British. Combine this with all the bad news about the British vaccine having problems along with a British variant, and there could be trouble in the works.

Casual bigotry in Thailand is unable and unwilling to distinguish American from British or Australian, Russian, Hungarian or Lithuanian before casting judgement

• Thanks 1

It didn't "walk in" with anyone!  It's a strain of Covid that was first noticed in the UK, but can and does develop anywhere.  Viruses mutate and new strains develop - that's why you need a new flu vaccination every year.

Correct

The Brazilian Health Authorities only yesterday, said they had found 90 + variants of the so " Brazilian Mutation " in their Country.

Virus,s mutate all the time in order to replicate and to gain power

This UK Mutant is just one of many kinds of mutation that has happened.

This is the number one reason for trying to vaccinate people against this Covid 19 thing with all urgency, so as to try and knock the thing down, and stop some of these Mutations, which if allowed , could possibly Mutate into something far more worse than has been found thus far.

The UK Mutation of the Covid 19 Virus was certainly not seen on Euro Star crossing the Dover Strait into France and then onward to Thailand by Sea Duck.

• Like 1

Yes.  It's the lowest form of wit.  Please try harder!

Ouch if sarcasm is no good is it ok to use double entendres? With all the bad news we need a little light relief as Frankie Howard used to say have you got it Infamy.?

Side note is this P.M from Kent I hear lots saying he is a proper Kent

ps sorry for non British members typically British humor from 80s

8 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

There have been flights coming and going from the UK for the last year. Pilots, crew, cargo staff, diplomatic staff, repatriated Thais, tourists doing ASQ etc etc . Same as above for people from Europe who will have been in contact with the UK variant. 

It’s impossible to stop the virus. No matter how many masks people wear or how many bars are closed. 

Thais would realize this if they actually thought about it. 

It would be possible to get rid of the virus, if no one was allowed to leave the house for 6 weeks and everyone would be supplied with groceries by the cops, firemen, army and/or the Red Cross or whatever there is in any given country. They should’ve done that back in March 2020 already. The sick would then have either recovered or died, the virus would have had no new people to infect and it would’ve died out. This would’ve been a lot cheaper in countries that pay unemployment payments to people and compensation to companies and a lot of businesses would have not gone out of business. Plus countless lives could have been spared and life itself could have gone back to normal in mid-April last year! 

But thanks to the countless cretins who were like ‘I want to get my hair cut and my human rights are violated and COVID doesn’t exist and masks are worthless’ and felt thy need to go demonstrate on the street the government in Germany for example gave in to their demands, which was the stupidest thing they could’ve ever done, and new infections went from 242 a day on the 10th of June to over 30000 a day a few months later. 

What gets me the most is things like the demonstration against the Covid measurements taken by the German government in Stuttgart last weekend. Lots of demonstrators, most of them without masks and no safety distance, demonstrating against the very thing they are prolonging by not wearing masks and not keeping their distance. How frocking cretinous can you be?! 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's just a new strain of the virus that was first identified in the UK, hence the name.  This new strain will develop (and now has developed) anywhere. It doesn't have to be imported from the UK.  

A few people on TVF seem to have common sense. Thanks for givin me hope, mate.

8 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's just a new strain of the virus that was first identified in the UK, hence the name.  This new strain will develop (and now has developed) anywhere. It doesn't have to be imported from the UK.  

And few people realise that!

Countries (like France) make political accusations to cover their own inadequacies and make a big noise. macron called the Kent strain ''the British variant''! It could have originated anywhere -- with transport links between the UK and the EU there is no way in telling how that variant spread.

It's like the British guy who was accused of being the first to introduce covid into Europe: who left Singapore and then travelled to France, and then on to the UK -- who knows who was the first -- but the naming of each variant in the country it was found is not necessarily where it originated.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sirineou said:

The plan is not to stop it, but to control it withy in acceptable limits until everyone is vaccinated. 

They better pull their finger out than hey. 

So far only 0.31% of the population of 69 million or 257,484 people had been jabbed with a first dose. 

6 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

Mass testing is underway today.  Lots of popup places for free testing.  Queues are very long.  Hospitals are also full for mass testing.  Thai people are currently scared.

I called the nearest hospital (20 km away): they said they havevno lab, so they can't test. they referred me to a hospital 60 km away. So, in a radius of 60 km from here, there is no testfacility - let alone a free one

From the beginning, the virus is here, it is not incredibly lethal whatever people think... It is causing severe symptoms to some people and much less to others... Even people in US. 300,000 deaths out of 320m people... until you have tested the whole population, you don't really know how lethal is this stuff, so all figures are wrong. 
The virus is and has always been in Thailand, they don't test much, that's all... 

Edited by jeanrem
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just hilarious you are. Would you like nothing but serious answers and no comic relief.  Try again Sir. All variants mutate again and again, but if you never test randomly you will never find it unless someone goes to a hospital for a test because they feel ill, by then it has taken a footing somewhere and you end up playing catch up instead of being ahead of the issue. Wouldn't you agree?

Glad you enjoyed it!

I don't think random testing is a good idea and don't think it could be done in Thailand anyway, nor that it's necessary.  I wouldn't call myself a Covid-denier, but there is little doubt that the fear of the disease is overplayed.  If there was no social media/internet life would be pretty much unaffected. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eibot said:

This particular strain has spread out all over the globe. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the dominant version in Myanmar for example. Thailands land borders are not tight at all. Thousands cross daily to do business. The virus could easily be from this. It could also have been flown in. It takes one mistake for it to spread. We all knew it was only a matter of time. 

ALL of us? We ALL knew? Yes, all educated and thinking people could understand this instantly. We all knew . . . all except for the Thai government.

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Glad you enjoyed it!

I don't think random testing is a good idea and don't think it could be done in Thailand anyway, nor that it's necessary.  I wouldn't call myself a Covid-denier, but there is little doubt that the fear of the disease is overplayed.  If there was no social media/internet life would be pretty much unaffected. 

Probably correct, but then the media would bombard it nonstop on all channels.  As far as testing I will agree to disagree on that point. Nuff said.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aomelia said:

It was found between France and Spain research it , Boycott China For Bioweapons 

The strain was first "found/discovered" in that region, yes. 

Being found or discovered there, doesn't mean it originated from there. However, everybody seems to assume that.

That's the shortsighted aspect of it. 

Netizens pose question: How did UK variant get into Thailand despite emergency decree?

<shifts eye back and forth; taps fingers on desk>
"Who can we blame.  Who can we blame."

Hummm. ????  Probably no one because it's impossible to determine.  At best they can guess.

"Who can we blame.  Who can we blame."

7 minutes ago, robsamui said:

ALL of us? We ALL knew? Yes, all educated and thinking people could understand this instantly. We all knew . . . all except for the Thai government.

I was ofcourse talking about us good looking farangs ????