Airports In Thailand To Impose Regulation Restricting Carriage Of Liquid Next Month

Jai Dee

Airports in Thailand to impose regulation restricting carriage of liquid next month

Mr. Jermsak Pinthong, the Spokesman of the Airports of Thailand (AoT) board, says Suvarnabhumi Airport and other airports across Thailand will enforce the regulation restricting the carriage of liquid, aerosol and gel, starting June 1st, 2007.

Mr. Jermsak says the regulation will allow each passenger to carry no more than one liter of liquid to the aircraft, and the officials will also measure and inspect them. He says stores inside the airports will contain their liquid products in special plastic bags that have been approved by the authority.

Mr. Jermsak says this regulation is being used in other international airports as it reinforces passengers’ security and prevents potential terrorist acts.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 18 May 2007

I assume this refers to hand carry baggage?

In India you are not allowed any liquids in hand carry.

When I transfered from an international flight to domestic I had to ask for my suitcase and repack my duty free to be carried in the hold. :o

This will increase business for inbound duty free shops.

Going to the UK I want to take 3 bottle, 1l of spirits and 2 bottles of wine. :D

These b*stard terrorists are really screwing up the travel scene.

I thought the rule was already in force at Suvarnabhumi Airport. The guys with the rubber gloves on checked my hand luggage prior to opening the Gate for a BKK-PER flight.

Interesting to see if it is adopted for internal flights.

Solution: Carry all your liquids, lotions and potions in your checked in luggage. Only carry medicines you are likely to need during your flight in your carry-on (hand) luggage.

I was just going to travel light next trip and only bring carry-on luggage - but ...

Peter

Lightning reactions there from the Thai airport - in the UK they are starting to relax the regulations - mustn't be enough people shopping in duty free - or am I being cynical?

they should set a rule world wide and every country stick io it,it gets very confusing from country to country ,1 rule no problems less delays........

Airports in Thailand to impose regulation restricting carriage of liquid next month

Mr. Jermsak Pinthong, the Spokesman of the Airports of Thailand (AoT) board, says Suvarnabhumi Airport and other airports across Thailand will enforce the regulation restricting the carriage of liquid, aerosol and gel, starting June 1st, 2007.

Mr. Jermsak says the regulation will allow each passenger to carry no more than one liter of liquid to the aircraft, and the officials will also measure and inspect them. He says stores inside the airports will contain their liquid products in special plastic bags that have been approved by the authority.

Mr. Jermsak says this regulation is being used in other international airports as it reinforces passengers’ security and prevents potential terrorist acts.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 18 May 2007

Can someone enlighten me as to the point of restricting it to 1 liter of liquid?

I thought the rule was already in force at Suvarnabhumi Airport. The guys with the rubber gloves on checked my hand luggage prior to opening the Gate for a BKK-PER flight.

That was because you were flying TO Australia not FROM Thailand.

Depends if the one litre is only duty free purchased or allowed to be carried airside through security screening.

As the restriction is to "prevent" terrorists carrying liquid binary explosives on board, AoT will need to apply a limit of only one terrorist per aircraft.

More info/links here....

One wonders if a litre of high proof vodka and a box of matches is enough to bring a plane down?

Had trouble Januari this year on a flight from Bangkok to Amsterdam with a transfer in Frankfurt. Had not been around Europe for a while and their airport regulations definitely are sticter. Bought a nice bottle of whisky in Bangkok, but in Frankfurt they confiscated the bottle. Had quite a few email going from King Power to Airport Customs in Frankfurt but never got the money back.....

Lightning reactions there from the Thai airport - in the UK they are starting to relax the regulations - mustn't be enough people shopping in duty free - or am I being cynical?

That was the puzzle in me too...even in some Asian countries, they are beginning to relax on this regulation...well maybe the paranoia in the current administration about some destabilization attempts in the government.

but i do not really now.

Malaysia implements the changes on Monday 21st May 2007.

KUALA LUMPUR: Passengers flying with Malaysian Airlines to international destinations will face new restrictions on liquids carried in their hand luggage from Monday, the airline said in a statement.

The new rules will restrict passengers to carrying liquids, gels and aerosols in containers no larger than 100 millilitres, which must be carried in a clear plastic bag.

Baby formula or liquid food for diabetics and medicines may be taken on board separately, if provided with documents such as a doctor's prescription.

The new limits follow security guidelines issued by the International Civil Aviation Organisation after British authorities foiled an alleged plot to blow up US-bound airliners using liquid explosives smuggled aboard in August last year. - AFP

That was the puzzle in me too...even in some Asian countries, they are beginning to relax on this regulation...well maybe the paranoia in the current administration about some destabilization attempts in the government.

but i do not really now.

They allow real glasses in premium class also. What can be more threatening than a broken glass in your hands ?

This in adition to knives, forks, etc. What about smashing a bottle of duty free and use it as a weapon much more dnagerous than a nail clipper !

Edited by Krub

Just arrived back from Thailand today,tried to buy duty free alcohol to take back to Australia and was told not possible.I said I thought that it starts on June 1st. I did not bother,but when get to final boarding area they checked all hand luggage and kept all liquids over 100 mls.Not to worry it is cheaper to buy back in Brissie duty free shop.Like others have said,while on plane you get metal fork with meal,glass for your wine,spirit bottles in trollies. :o ??????

Thommo.

Mr. Jermsak says the regulation will allow each passenger to carry no more than one liter of liquid to the aircraft,

but when get to final boarding area they checked all hand luggage and kept all liquids over 100 mls.

Sounds like another petty theft to help enhance Thailand's reputation.

they should set a rule world wide and every country stick to it,it gets very confusing from country to country ,1 rule no problems less delays........

I agree with you 100% since the feds in most countries control air travel it should be internationally regulated however; as far as what you can and can not bring into a country that still has to go by the laws of the land.

the liquid rule is now in force in china also - notices were up stating that it began on may 1st

100ml containers in clear plastic bags - though alcohol is an exception , 1 litre sealed with accompanying duty free reciept.

has anyone had any more experiences carrying duty free alcohol out of Thailand ?