Uk Driver licence expires.......now what ?

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

you’ve nothing to lose. In fact ,if you’re returning for medical treatment on NHS renewing your licence may even help in ‘proving' your uk residence.

He did not say he was returning for treatment on the NHS.  Since he is not UK resident and is not returning permanently, he is not entitled to free NHS treatment, just as he is not entitled to a UK Licence.   Advocating someone breaks the law twice is a little unhelpful.

PH

10 hours ago, Pilotman said:

If you are declared resident in Thailand, why do you need to renew a UK licence?  Your Thai licence is good for 3 months there and you can hire cars on it.  if that is not the case, you must have a UK address for an online or postal application and it must be your permeant UK address, otherwise it is illegal, in other words, not an address of convenience.  If you are worried about HMRC, then you can't have it both ways, you are either here, or there. 

You can apply for a UK driving licence online , however the last leg of the  process of the application is for the DVLA to send a letter to your UK address for you to sign . A Thai driving licence is no different from any non UK licence where you are permitted to drive in the UK for 1 year and  after it must be changed to a UK licence or you will have to pass a UK driving test .

My thoughts on the thread; was why worry about UK licence if now perminant in LOS...? My worry would be if the medical procedure not avilable in LOS is on the NHS thats the bigger worry, if found out when they ask have you resided continously for the last xx months in the UK you get charged more than the going rate, somone correct me here is it one and half times...? 

(I know OP has not said if going private or NHS) I wager its not the licence he needs to be worrying about...

5 minutes ago, Lokie said:

My thoughts on the thread; was why worry about UK licence if now perminant in LOS...?

Oh I don't know, maybe something to do with the fact he wants to hire a car when he heads back to the UK ...

8 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Oh I don't know, maybe something to do with the fact he wants to hire a car when he heads back to the UK ...

Granted and he can upgrade/attain a 5 year Thai licence most likely, as said think the bigger worry is the medical procedure, if attempting to access NHS services while classed as living in LOS... If so then why say worrid about HMRC cross check v DVLA system?? 

Intrested to see OPs responce anyway if going private no probs but if NHS he could have problem a bit more than worrying about a hire car...

Edited by Lokie
12 hours ago, superal said:

You can apply for a UK driving licence online , however the last leg of the  process of the application is for the DVLA to send a letter to your UK address for you to sign .

That must be something new.

I did mine last August, notice on the website said due to covid licence may be delayed several weeks. Licence turned up about 3 days after I made the online application.

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, Salerno said:

Only people that buy them are the naive and gullible.

To forgot the movie, computerized test and driving test as a US citizen to get Thai drivers license I needed both valid US drivers license and IDP for the 2 year Thai DL. Renewing Thai DL for 5 years was much easier....

2 year license had to go to local DLT office with limited to no

English made 3-4 trips to sort everything out. 5 year had to 

go to Udon Thani was finished in less than 45 minutes...

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

That must be something new.

I did mine last August, notice on the website said due to covid licence may be delayed several weeks. Licence turned up about 3 days after I made the online application.

You may be right as my application was early 2020 , so covid may have had an effect . Did you apply within the UK ?

6 hours ago, DJ54 said:

To forgot the movie, computerized test and driving test as a US citizen to get Thai drivers license I needed both valid US drivers license and IDP for the 2 year Thai DL. Renewing Thai DL for 5 years was much easier....

2 year license had to go to local DLT office with limited to no

English made 3-4 trips to sort everything out. 5 year had to 

go to Udon Thani was finished in less than 45 minutes...

That's all well and good but not sure why you quoted my response to a poster suggesting to buy a fake IDP?

3 hours ago, Salerno said:
6 hours ago, geisha said:

Hi, if I stay 4 months in Thailand per year, can I take a Thai driving test to obtain a licence ? ( tourist visa ) 

Length of stay is irrelevant; people have gotten one on visa exempt.

You can, but will only be able to get a two year licence each time.  You will not be able to convert it to a 5 year.

PH

• Like 2
On 4/10/2021 at 5:53 PM, Phulublub said:
On 4/10/2021 at 3:27 PM, nchuckle said:

you’ve nothing to lose. In fact ,if you’re returning for medical treatment on NHS renewing your licence may even help in ‘proving' your uk residence.

He did not say he was returning for treatment on the NHS.  Since he is not UK resident and is not returning permanently, he is not entitled to free NHS treatment, just as he is not entitled to a UK Licence.   Advocating someone breaks the law twice is a little unhelpful.

I see two assumptions here.

@nchuckle suggesting the OP is seeking medical treatment on the NHS, and

@Phulublub assuming the OP would want free medical treatment on the NHS.

As for the OP being worried about HMCR accessing his travel history through a DL renewal, they are already able to access his movements by his passport history.

Also, assuming that he OP has declared himself "non-resident or not ordinarily resident" in the UK for tax purposes, I think he's still allowed 90-days visit in any calendar (not tax) year and not be seen in breach of the declaration.

13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Also, assuming that he OP has declared himself "non-resident or not ordinarily resident" in the UK for tax purposes, I think he's still allowed 90-days visit in any calendar (not tax) year and not be seen in breach of the declaration.

He can visit, and be treated by the NHS - just not for free. 

P

• 1 month later...

Recently received a letter at my mother's house, from DVLA about my expired UK DL.  I no longer require it, as I can use my Thai DL on rare trips home.   Has anyone surrendered their UK DL, sending it back to Swansea?  Do you need to send paper copy, or just the plastic photo licence?  

390660369_DLrenewal.jpg.989162c8aa63a769b8ac89dee2c147a7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 11:16 AM, Yorkshire Tea said:

Recently received a letter at my mother's house, from DVLA about my expired UK DL.  I no longer require it, as I can use my Thai DL on rare trips home.   Has anyone surrendered their UK DL, sending it back to Swansea?  Do you need to send paper copy, or just the plastic photo licence?  

I didn't send mine back because I used it to get Thai car & motorbike DL's. 

My daughter just sent a letter saying I've use my UK to obtain a Thai DL because I live in Thailand.

On 4/10/2021 at 11:07 AM, Tapster said:

Your Thai driving licence is definitely, fully valid for 12 months of driving in the UK.

With a 2 year provisional Thai licence ?    thought it had to be a "full" 5 year licence.

On 5/26/2021 at 5:16 AM, Yorkshire Tea said:

I sent my UK licence back (cut in half) via my son in the UK and he forwarded it onto Swansea....I renewed it online here using my home address back in blighty....don`t quite know what the outcome would have been if I hadn`t complied....

• Thanks 1
On 4/10/2021 at 8:46 AM, sencelebi said:

They will issue 5 yrs driving licence after your 2 yr expires. 

Also you can get a international driver licence to drive in UK.

But as far as I know, if any country's driver license has English writing on it can be used in any country without getting international license. My wife used her Thai license in USA for 6 months.  But UK police might ask you why you drive with Thai licence since you are a UK citizen.

the police will not ask, can drive for 1 year in the UK on a Thai licence, no need for an international.

will anyone in the UK know that a 2 year Thai licence is different to a 5 year or life time Thai licence

43 minutes ago, steve187 said:

will anyone in the UK know that a 2 year Thai licence is different to a 5 year or life time Thai licence

Well maybe the 2 year licence still says  like the old 1 year used to say

at the top right corner " Type Temporary Car"