Uk Driver licence expires.......now what ?

My UK driving licence expires next month.
Being resident in Thailand I don't want to attempt to renew it using a family members address, particularly as I'm concerned about possible ramifications with HMRC. 

I intend to return to the UK in the next few months for medical treatment which is not available here, and I was hoping to rent a car. 

I have my first Thai licence which I obtained one year ago. However I read here somewhere that this is treated as a provisional licence and therefore will not allow me to drive in the UK. 

Am I screwed? 

39 minutes ago, petermik said:

You can renew online..simple as that...if your going back in the next few months use a family members address.

Yes I can do that but you have to declare you are resident in the UK and having submitted tax returns saying otherwise, and intending to do the same this year, I am concerned about problems with HMRC. And it's not peanuts at stake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, britishjohn said:

Yes I can do that but you have to declare you are resident in the UK and having submitted tax returns saying otherwise, and intending to do the same this year, I am concerned about problems with HMRC. And it's not peanuts at stake.

"Am I screwed ?"  I don't think so but what I would do first before you go, your Thai DL will be into it's 2nd year so go to your DLT office ' they love a story' with both DL's and ask them if you can have a 5 year Thai DL which you need to use in UK.

I'd be surprised if they didn't help.

As you know renewing your UK DL without UK address after 2 full years out of UK I read it's not valid other than to use it to change to a DL of the country you reside in.

All countries have different rules as to how long you can drive with a foreign DL.

Goodluck hope all goes well UK.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

"Am I screwed ?"  I don't think so but what I would do first before you go, your Thai DL will be into it's 2nd year so go to your DLT office ' they love a story' with both DL's and ask them if you can have a 5 year Thai DL which you need to use in UK.

I'd be surprised if they didn't help.

As you know renewing your UK DL without UK address after 2 full years out of UK I read it's not valid other than to use it to change to a DL of the country you reside in.

All countries have different rules as to how long you can drive with a foreign DL.

Goodluck hope all goes well UK.

Ok well it's worth a try obtaining a 5 year licence.

But seriously I can't believe the whole system is such a cock up...or maybe I can.

3 hours ago, britishjohn said:

Ok well it's worth a try obtaining a 5 year licence.

But seriously I can't believe the whole system is such a cock up...or maybe I can.

The system was changed from a

1 year first Thai DL to 2 year because of spacing things out bit I guess dunno really so I reckon your be OK if you explain your situation .

I believe I read somewhere on Thai Visa that if you are a UK national with Non-Resident Status then you cannot legally drive in the UK on your UK driving license and if you do your insurance will be invalid - If anyone has better information please correct my mis-understanding.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

They will issue 5 yrs driving licence after your 2 yr expires. 

Also you can get a international driver licence to drive in UK.

But as far as I know, if any country's driver license has English writing on it can be used in any country without getting international license. My wife used her Thai license in USA for 6 months.  But UK police might ask you why you drive with Thai licence since you are a UK citizen.

2 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Buy an Intl. Permit online, 5 and 10 years. 

Completely unnecessary.  As has already been explained, a 5-year Thai licence is fine for UK car rental and driving.  An IDP is just a translation of a foreign licence, and a Thai licence is printed in English (and Thai).

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Buy an Intl. Permit online, 5 and 10 years. 

Only people that buy them are the naive and gullible.

25 minutes ago, condobrit001 said:

Why not obtain an International licence locally using your Thai licence? T

He can't get one on a provisional.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Salerno said:

A provisional Thai licence?

maybe he means the first 2 year, temporary  licence, which would not be legal to drive on in the UK, or to hire a car , it needs to be a valid 5 year permanent licence. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

maybe he means the first 2 year, temporary  licence, which would not be legal to drive on in the UK, or to hire a car , it needs to be a valid 5 year permanent licence. 

Which is why I was asking Tapster to confirm. As far as I'm aware OP is <deleted> out of luck.

HMRC don't care about anything other than getting tax out of you. If they were to cross check with Swansea they may have to give you a sizeable rebate. The UK is happy to tax you, freeze your pension, cancel your voting rights and refuse access to the NHS! Use a relatives address.

• Like 2

@Salerno

I swapped my UK licence for a Thai one and that was valid for two years. After that I applied for the 5-year one and it was granted, with no test or any extra steps.

I don't think the 2-year Thai licence is in any way 'provisional'. That was never mentioned, nor stated in any official blurb.

Ergo, whichever of the two possible Thai licences the OP has, I'm pretty sure he's OK to drive in the UK.

????

12 minutes ago, Tapster said:

@Salerno

I swapped my UK licence for a Thai one and that was valid for two years. After that I applied for the 5-year one and it was granted, with no test or any extra steps.

I don't think the 2-year Thai licence is in any way 'provisional'. That was never mentioned, nor stated in any official blurb.

Ergo, whichever of the two possible Thai licences the OP has, I'm pretty sure he's OK to drive in the UK.

????

Doesn't the 2 years license state "Temporary Car"?  The 5 year one says "Private Car".  I think that is where the provisional bit comes in.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Tapster said:

The OP only has a 2 year licence which is not OK to hire a car with as I understand it. The initial 2 year licence is basically a provisional/probationary licence (actually called a "temporary licence" by the DLT).

Edited by Salerno
Typo

There’s no chance of renewing your uk licence altering your tax status. You may however find that DVLA cross checks 'might' stymie your application- if you can still use the address already on your licence that may help (although that’s where it will be sent) so I would try to renew it online giving your passport number from which they’ll lift your photograph - you’ve nothing to lose. In fact ,if you’re returning for medical treatment on NHS renewing your licence may even help in ‘proving' your uk residence.