changing engine info

On 4/10/2021 at 5:18 PM, overherebc said:

I always thought you needed some paper trail ref' the original vehicle the engine came from

Probably but as long as the engine number identifies it as from Thailand you should be OK. 

I foresee the only problem being if the engine is from Japan or...and requires proof of duty paid. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

When I was a kid, it seemed most everyone knew how to change their oil and tune-up an engine. 

Me to even owning a car was difficult for many let alone take it to a garage.

Distributors & points, side valve engines,  adjusting tappets, dynamo, carburetors , air controlled rain screen wipers, back axle wind noises, etc etc ????

I still luv having carbs on my bike I don't have to plug myself into a computer to find out what's wrong. ????

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Me to even owning a car was difficult for many let alone take it to a garage.

Distributors & points, side valve engines,  adjusting tappets, dynamo, carburetors , air controlled rain screen wipers, back axle wind noises, etc etc ????

I still luv having carbs on my bike I don't have to plug myself into a computer to find out what's wrong. ????

Breaking down was a reasonably common event. I bet I have not been stuck on the side of the road for forty years. 

Two flat tires since I've been in Thailand, both times times people stopped to help me. One was a kid on a motorbike with his girlfriend, he wouldn't let me touch anything and would not take any money. 

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Breaking down was a reasonably common event. I bet I have not been stuck on the side of the road for forty years. 

Two flat tires since I've been in Thailand, both times times people stopped to help me. One was a kid on a motorbike with his girlfriend, he wouldn't let me touch anything and would not take any money. 

Way off topic now but as I always say breakdown no problem in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Actually, I do not believe this is a "public forum", but rather a private, for-profit enterprise, yes? 

Open to anyone who chooses to read it or participate in it, yes?  Technically, I suppose that it is a private, for-profit, public forum, i.e. a public forum.

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I foresee the only problem being if the engine is from Japan or...and requires proof of duty paid. 

Don't know about upcountry, but engines and combo engine/transaxles sourced from BKK, brought in from Japan, have all the necessary paperwork in my experience.

Twin Cam Lexus V8 we installed in a 1964 Chevy pickup had customs docs included.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 9:10 PM, canthai55 said:

You should - make sure you do - receive paperwork from the new engine seller, listing serial number, year, displacement.

Swap engine. Take vehicle to DLT - they will check the serial number you give them against the serial number of the engine in the car.

If they match, your blue book will be revised to show the new engine number.

Good to go.

All true, my Thai son had a new engine fitted to a Honda Civic 3 doorabout 12 months ago. 

Mechanic told my son the exact same detail re the process before son decided to go ahead. He gave my son the relevant paperwork including several import documents, after fitting son went to DLT Chiang Mai, details/new engine number all checked, blue book updated.  From memory 100Baht.

The car is in excellent condition, the DLT guy asked my son if he wanted to sell it. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 4:41 AM, SiamRead said:

Maybe changing the engine cost less than the total repair bill.

I think its a personal choice unless it is new out of the box you are just putting someone else problem in?  In the States you can get engine rebuilt in exchange for your old quick and easy guarantee but in Thailand?

I would track down a good local mechanic since old vehicles need usually a bit more than a engine. You put in a new heart you need to make sure surrounding parts are also working and in good order?????

Is there any engine number mentioned in the blue book ?!!! 
Replacing with the same type of engine should not be important to be reported, but modification of any type could be (different engine type/size). 

Edited by The Theory

10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Open to anyone who chooses to read it or participate in it, yes?  Technically, I suppose that it is a private, for-profit, public forum, i.e. a public forum.

Open to anyone that registers and does not post anything the management disapproves of. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Theory said:

Is there any engine number mentioned in the blue book ?!!! 
Replacing with the same type of engine should not be important to be reported, but modification of any type could be (different engine type/size). 

Yes there is and at car 7 year inspection they check engine number and VIN number with the blue book so best to get it changed at DLT , as guys here have said no problem with correct paperwork.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Registration is not needed in order to read the forum, i.e. it is a public forum.

Guys like you crack me up.

You claimed: "Open to anyone who chooses to read it or participate in it, yes?" 

Now you're back-peddling and claiming that because anyone can read it it's public. By your definition, the letters to the editor section of a newspaper is a public forum.