Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Another complication occurs if you ever need an apostille of Thai documents to do something overseas because Thailand has not ratified the International Convention on Legalisation of Documents.  Therefore there are no apostilles of Thai passports or birth certificates and notarised documents are only available because the Thai Lawyers Society eventually got together in recent years to come up with their own rules to allow their members to act as notaries public, even though it is not supported by Thai law. Therefore someone overseas would be in their rights in not accepting a document notarised by a Thai notary because legally there is no such thing.  On rate occasions when I have been asked for an apostille either from UK or Thai authorities, I have always been able to fob them off with a document notarised by a Thai lawyer or a British notary public. On one occasion that required an apostille of my UK passport, I procrastinated so long that the investment was eventually sold while still in a nominee name and I didn't need it any more.    

The Thai government is still happy with people signing their own photocopies for the most part or forcing people to get a letter from the issuing authority, if it is considered really important. It is a rather primitive approach but for the most part works and is cost effective for the vast majority of the citizenry.         

On 18/10/2017 at 2:00 PM, greenchair said:

Tungkru. 

Why? 

Thanks Greenchair, I am at Yannawa.

I asked because I was just hoping that I will not have to face the same dilemma when my time comes. Keep my fingers crossed that the Yannawa Amphoe will be better.

• Like 1

I'm going to gather all the documents, which I can do in a couple of months. 

My questions are,

1- how soon after applying does one get the interview.

2- after applying, when do I have to show my work permit, as I'd love to quit as soon as possible.

10 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I'm going to gather all the documents, which I can do in a couple of months. 

My questions are,

1- how soon after applying does one get the interview.

2- after applying, when do I have to show my work permit, as I'd love to quit as soon as possible.

I had to wait three for my MOI interview but things seem to be going faster than that under the current government.

The work permit issue is a bit tricky because the Nationality Act requires you to have an occupation in Thailand which is generally interpreted to mean that you should remain in legitimate employment throughout the application process.  In practice you are unlikely to be asked for your WP after the MOI interview, except at your of allegiance when they want copies of all your docs and finger print you again to ensure you are the same person.  I think you could get away with not bringing a WP for this, since it actually an ID check rather than a check to see you are still working.  The safest approach is to maintain a WP all the way through but, if that is not viable, you could consider quitting either after the oath of allegiance or after your interview.  The downside is that, if something unusual happens like a new minister orders rechecking of all applicants and you cannot produce a WP and an up-to-date salary letter, you  will be rejected.   A very low risk but a catastrophic outcome, if it should come to pass.

Just now, Arkady said:

I had to wait three for my MOI interview but things seem to be going faster than that under the current government.

The work permit issue is a bit tricky because the Nationality Act requires you to have an occupation in Thailand which is generally interpreted to mean that you should remain in legitimate employment throughout the application process.  In practice you are unlikely to be asked for your WP after the MOI interview, except at your oath of allegiance when they want copies of all your docs and finger print you again to ensure you are the same person.  I think you could get away with not bringing a WP for this, since it actually an ID check rather than a check to see you are still working.  The safest approach is to maintain a WP all the way through but, if that is not viable, you could consider quitting either after the oath of allegiance or after your interview.  The downside is that, if something unusual happens like a new minister orders rechecking of all applicants and you cannot produce a WP and an up-to-date salary letter, you  will be rejected.   A very low risk but a catastrophic outcome, if it should come to pass.

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Thanks! Is there not an interview with the SB first in McDonald's? Then the MOI interview?

No, all interviews with SB take place in their office. Most are informal with your case officer but they will make an appointment for a formal interview with the director who will finalise the points assigned to you for personality and will hear you sign the 2 songs, if you have to sign or have opted to sign for points.  The interview with the NIA used to take place at McD's Ratchprasong for several years and before that at KFC Victory Monument but has recently taken place in the old part of town near the NIA office, which is currently under renovation.   

11 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

In my case: SB +5 months, NIA +1 month (all in 2017).

My understanding of the timeline regarding recent lucky applicants is:

• SB and NIA interview (3-9 months)
  • MOI interview (+6-12 months)
  • MOI result (+12-24 months)
  • Finalization (+3-9 months)

Average (6+9+18+6) = 3+ years

This is really helpful information.  I wish we had more data points from applicants in 2016 and 2017.  In my case in 2017:

SB paperwork submitted - 0

SB call back for interview, singing, finger printing + 2 weeks

NIA interview + 1 month (actually mine was later because I had to reschedule, but it could have happened as early as 1 month after)

Now I am waiting to find out if my paperwork is ready to submit to MOI. (It has been over 120 days since I submitted paperwork to SB)

I personally know a European gentleman that went the PR to Citizenship route and was on the most recent Royal Gazette announcement after approximately 18 months in the process.  Next time I meet him, I will pick his brains to get a more accurate timeline for him.  When I interviewed at SB with the Police Colonel he said that I could reasonably expect to have my citizenship within 2 years of that day.  So I am hoping that the process continues smoothly for all of us in the early stages of applications.  My struggle right now is to determine what is the proper balance of calling to ask the status regularly to make sure that my application hasn’t been lost or tabled somewhere and still not soundling like a nag...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, khongaeng said:

SB paperwork submitted - 0

SB call back for interview, singing, finger printing + 2 weeks

NIA interview + 1 month (actually mine was later because I had to reschedule, but it could have happened as early as 1 month after)

Now I am waiting to find out if my paperwork is ready to submit to MOI. (It has been over 120 days since I submitted paperwork to SB)

A precision for this bullet

I set the starting point when the applicant decides to apply, which means the range counts the several weeks/months to gather required documents. For me it has been 6 months from this point to the NIA interview. How about for yourself? 

27 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

I set the starting point when the applicant decides to apply, which means the range counts the several weeks/months to gather required documents. For me it has been 6 months from this point to the NIA interview. How about for yourself? 

Honestly I have been following this thread since 2009, but only actively engaged when I knew I finally had a real chance to make it through the process.  So for me I have been gathering the documents and getting ready, at least mentally, for many years. From my first visit at the SB (more like a document check trial run) to having all documents in order to start my application (second visit) was less than 1 week, because I had prepared so much in advance. My counting clock started when I actually had shown all my paperwork to SB (second visit), and it was then up to SB to create the pile of paperwork required before the formal interview (third visit).  I got called back 1 week later for the formal interview ( 2 weeks between my first visit and third visit). It has now been over 120 days since the formal interview at SB (my third visit) and about 2 months since my NIA interview.  

Edited by khongaeng

11 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Interesting stuff. I'm making an interview very soon to formally apply, giving all the correct documents. This has taken about 6 months(plus another 6 months messing around with upcountry SB), with them asking for one thing after another.  Learning the songs was the latest. 

One more thing. I got my degrees verified from the UK embassy. I already had them translated and submitted to the SB. Do you recommend I get them translated again and taken to the MOFA for certification? I mean do I need the actual letter on the back of my degree translated and certified from the MOFA or would a translation shop be enough?

10 hours ago, khongaeng said:

On a different note, the unity and oneness of the Thai people has been incredible to witness this past week.  I have never seen anything like this before on a national scale.  For those who were lucky enough to have their applications countersigned by His Royal Majesty King Rama 9, I am envious.  It would certainly be a unique shirt to wear saying “I was naturalized Thai in the reign of....’

For those like myself who were lucky enough to get the colour photocopy of the letter signed by His Late Majesty on the Klai Kangwon Palace, Hua Hin, notepaper, that is something for us and our families to treasure. I know there are t-shirts and wristbands with similar inscriptions about which reign the bearer was born in but I think one needs to be careful not to mention the letter in a way that might seem disrespectful or boastful to some people.  Also we need to be respectful of and grateful for the fact that the new King is doing a great job countersigning applications promptly, just like his father did.  At the end of the day it is the ID card that counts.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, khongaeng said:

On a different note, the unity and oneness of the Thai people has been incredible to witness this past week.  I have never seen anything like this before on a national scale.  For those who were lucky enough to have their applications countersigned by His Royal Majesty King Rama 9, I am envious.  It would certainly be a unique shirt to wear saying “I was naturalized Thai in the reign of....’

I sensed there were a lot more people at the Queen Mother's funeral in 1995. Maybe I was younger(well I certainly was) and overwhelmed with the whole thing. 

8 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I sensed there were a lot more people at the Queen Mother's funeral in 1995. Maybe I was younger(well I certainly was) and overwhelmed with the whole thing. 

It is off topic and let's not continue in this direction, in order to keep the thread on track, but you should not overlook the millions of people that were paying there respects off site at the replica crematoria and designated temples around the country on Thursday. Also bear in mind that the numbers allowed into the Sanam Luang area were strictly limited on occasions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Arkady said:

For those like myself who were lucky enough to get the colour photocopy of the letter signed by His Late Majesty on the Klai Kangwon Palace, Hua Hin, notepaper, that is something for us and our families to treasure. I know there are t-shirts and wristbands with similar inscriptions about which reign the bearer was born in but I think one needs to be careful not to mention the letter in a way that might seem disrespectful or boastful to some people.  Also we need to be respectful of and grateful for the fact that the new King is doing a great job countersigning applications promptly, just like his father did.  At the end of the day it is the ID card that counts.

Very true.  I will certainly be very grateful when my application is countersigned, and it will be an honor regardless of when.  Do you know if letters are still issued?  Do you know why you are not given the original?

15 hours ago, Big Guns said:

I've finally finished now and received my Thai ID card and passport last week :smile:

May I ask what were the biggest hurdles? I am married to a Thai, but her id card is long expired. Last year we didn't have any documentation with us to get a new one.  We have found her original house registration and she has 2 expired Thai passports and we have our Thai marriage certificate.  I have seen conflicting info online about getting Thai/dual citizinship, any advice would be appreciated.

7 hours ago, yooper said:

May I ask what were the biggest hurdles? I am married to a Thai, but her id card is long expired. Last year we didn't have any documentation with us to get a new one.  We have found her original house registration and she has 2 expired Thai passports and we have our Thai marriage certificate.  I have seen conflicting info online about getting Thai/dual citizinship, any advice would be appreciated.

All she should have to do is go to the Amphoe where the she is/was registered in a house book. If she still is registered in a house book it should not be that complicated for her to get a new ID and then a Thai passport.

It is not a problem for her to have two nationalities. There is nothing written that states she cannot have it.

If she has a expired passport she can use it to enter the country. But she would have to get a new one prior to leaving the country.

• Like 1