Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

6 hours ago, dbrenn said:

I'm not sure whether that's possible - there may be guidelines around choosing names that sound Thai, and are not foreign, preventing a switch back to your original name. I recall that SB told me this when I asked them, although they didn't sound very sure, so I was wondering whether anyone here had done it, or knew of anyone who has.

The question remains: does the British government forbid having a second name in a foreign passport, going so far as to refuse to issue a passport if this is the case, or is this only something that they must be notified of? This document would appear to suggest that they can endorse a passport with "This person is also known as", but also states that only one name be used for all official purposes....

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/548220/Annex_A_passports_August_2016.pdf

All in all, it's probably better to keep your original name.

This particular thread (originated by @Arkady who has also contributed to this one) might be worth a read:-

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/985523-british-dual-nationals-asked-to-change-names-when-applying-for-a-new-british-passport/#comments

Having given this matter some further thought since my comments on that particular thread, I wonder whether the rationale for dual nationals to have identical names in both passports might stem from the fact that, nowadays, airlines are, for security reasons, making much of the need for the name stated in a passenger’s airline ticket to exactly match the one stated in their passport. And, in the case, of return tickets, this might lead to problems where both of the dual national’s passports were not identical in this regard.

For instance, a dual Thai/Brit making a return trip to the UK would show their British passport at BKK check-in to show that they could enter the UK without a visa. Likewise, for the return trip, they would show their Thai passport at LHR check-in to show that they could re-enter Thailand without a visa. Were the names not the same in both British and Thai passports, it appears to me that the only course of action open to dual nationals to avoid encountering boarding hassles at 1 or other check-in would be to book a single ticket in their British passport name for the outbound BKK-LHR flight and another single ticket in their Thai passport name for the return LHR-BKK flight. That could well prove to be a rather expensive way to fly!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

I wish I were young enough to be in a Science Olympiad, then maybe I could get "Fast Track" citizenship.  According to the article I meet all the other requirements ????

<link removed>

Too bad the government won't just accept the UN agreement from 1961 and "fast track" all of its stateless citizens born and raised here, but in any case I'm glad that they did the right thing with this young girl.  

Edited by ubonjoe
removed link to Bangkok Post (forum rule)
  • Like 1

Any updates lately ? seems like things have slowed down due to the coronation ceremony , file has been at the Royal department for 2-3 months now and still no word, from my understanding there's no way of knowing how long it will take , could take a month, could take a year and i guess the only way to find out is when they release the royal gazette with new citizens names? correct me if im wrong.

4 hours ago, danielcondo said:

Any updates lately ? seems like things have slowed down due to the coronation ceremony , file has been at the Royal department for 2-3 months now and still no word, from my understanding there's no way of knowing how long it will take , could take a month, could take a year and i guess the only way to find out is when they release the royal gazette with new citizens names? correct me if im wrong.

Before RG you have to go though the oath. I guess this is your next step -and way to know things are progressing-.

1 hour ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Before RG you have to go though the oath. I guess this is your next step -and way to know things are progressing-.

Ohh understood, so basically the first step would be to get a call to come for the Oath at the SB and then wait for the printing in the royal gazette ? once thats done then wait for the citizenship certificate.

Any estimation on how long the standard waits are from the file being sent to the royal department until the oath ?

22 hours ago, danielcondo said:

Ohh understood, so basically the first step would be to get a call to come for the Oath at the SB and then wait for the printing in the royal gazette ? once thats done then wait for the citizenship certificate.

Any estimation on how long the standard waits are from the file being sent to the royal department until the oath ?

I just took the oath this week. It took around 10 months from MOI to oath. I was told that I would be able to get my ID in about 3 to 4 months. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, echrist said:

I just took the oath this week. It took around 10 months from MOI to oath. I was told that I would be able to get my ID in about 3 to 4 months. 

Congratulations.

1 hour ago, david143 said:

Congratulations
10 months after interview from MOI .
how long do you wait for Interview call, After NIA interview.

There is no set time. It could be 2-3 years. In my case it was about 2 years.

16 hours ago, echrist said:

Congrats ! did you have your MOI interview in July last year ? 

13 hours ago, david143 said:

Congratulations
10 months after interview from MOI .
how long do you wait for Interview call, After NIA interview.

It was around 2 years. I think around 1 year 9 or 10 months. 

23 minutes ago, echrist said:

It was around 2 years. I think around 1 year 9 or 10 months. 

many congratulations.

Was your name in the most recent published announcement? Or is there some kind of long gap between that and taking the oath?

Edited by kiwiaussie

3 minutes ago, kiwiaussie said:

many congratulations.

Was your name in the most recent published announcement? Or is there some kind of long gap between that and taking the oath?

thank you.  names for those who are granted Thai citizenship are published in the RG after taking the oath. I'm assuming my name will be published sometime in the next 3 to 4 months.  

On 5/15/2019 at 4:52 PM, danielcondo said:

Daniel can I ask when you did the NIA interview? I seem to remember it was around the same time as myself, Jan 2018.

On 5/16/2019 at 9:15 PM, echrist said:

Congratulations.

Did you have to show a work permit at the oath stage? 

Do you have to be working?

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Congratulations.

Did you have to show a work permit at the oath stage? 

Do you have to be working?

I was told to bring it along with my passport and house registration book. The officer didn't look at my work permit, however. Nobody asked if I was still working. My WP stayed on the desk while he made copies of my passport and house registration. As it turned out, I probably didn't need to bring it. I was told to bring it to the MOI interview, but nobody asked to see it there either. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2019 at 6:47 PM, echrist said:

I was told to bring it along with my passport and house registration book. The officer didn't look at my work permit, however. Nobody asked if I was still working. My WP stayed on the desk while he made copies of my passport and house registration. As it turned out, I probably didn't need to bring it. I was told to bring it to the MOI interview, but nobody asked to see it there either. 

I was wondering, as alot of naturalized Thai's prefer to keep their english names, on their Thai ID cards is their name written in Thai as well ? im guessing they follow the spelling as per your application and previous documents such as work permit and yellow book / Tabien Baan,  either way considering its not a Thai name and a person would probably not look Thai by face, its bound to get some suspecious stares and maybe even questions, i had a friend who was half thai and didn't look Thai at all go to a club ( some clubs charge an entrance fee only for foreigners ) and gave the bouncers his Thai ID, the bouncers told him to go pay the cover charge as they said he's not Thai, how in the heck is a person with a Thai ID card not Thai ? most of these people don't even know the legalities of the matter, anyhow they got into a big arguement and he ended up not going in. Moral of the story, even with a Thai ID its possible to be treated like a foreigner or even be made to pay the non Thai Rate, be prepared to fight for your rights ????

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, danielcondo said:

I was wondering, as alot of naturalized Thai's prefer to keep their english names, on their Thai ID cards is their name written in Thai as well ? im guessing they follow the spelling as per your application and previous documents such as work permit and yellow book / Tabien Baan,  either way considering its not a Thai name and a person would probably not look Thai by face, its bound to get some suspecious stares and maybe even questions, i had a friend who was half thai and didn't look Thai at all go to a club ( some clubs charge an entrance fee only for foreigners ) and gave the bouncers his Thai ID, the bouncers told him to go pay the cover charge as they said he's not Thai, how in the heck is a person with a Thai ID card not Thai ? most of these people don't even know the legalities of the matter, anyhow they got into a big arguement and he ended up not going in. Moral of the story, even with a Thai ID its possible to be treated like a foreigner or even be made to pay the non Thai Rate, be prepared to fight for your rights ????

Not encountered this so far. I kept my English name and it is written in Thai and English on my ID card like all other Thais. 

13 hours ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

Keep a copy of the letter with the King’s signature on it in your wallet, and tell them to call the palace if they have a problem with your Thainess.

Wish I had been given such a document back in 2016. 

21 hours ago, danielcondo said:

Moral of the story, even with a Thai ID its possible to be treated like a foreigner or even be made to pay the non Thai Rate, be prepared to fight for your rights

You will always will be a foreigner but one who obtained Thai citizenship. For official purposes you can claim Thai rates such as entrance fees in national parks etc. However in purchasing something they might 'overcharge' you.

Had anyone heard of the next MOI interview? I guess there isn't one this month.

Would anyone recommend a phone call to special branch - do they hear about the interviews and contact their case or is it just someone from the MoI?

I'm hoping to be called soon(it's been 16 months since NIA), but also want to have a holiday abroad for a couple of weeks soon.

31 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Had anyone heard of the next MOI interview? I guess there isn't one this month.

Would anyone recommend a phone call to special branch - do they hear about the interviews and contact their case or is it just someone from the MoI?

I'm hoping to be called soon(it's been 16 months since NIA), but also want to have a holiday abroad for a couple of weeks soon.

think they had on yesterday