Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/22/2019 at 11:01 AM, roulax said:

Could anyone advise on a lawyer/attorney which could support for the application process for a decent fee?

I had contacted one in the past but the fee was around 0.5MTHB which seems extremely high to me.

All a lawyer will do is ask you to attend the same interviews and fill in the same forms as Special Branch would have requested of you directly. Lawyers simply don't have experience in this and will add less than zero value, perhaps confusing and forgetting things.

A total waste of money if ever there was one.

All a lawyer will do is ask you to attend the same interviews and fill in the same forms as Special Branch would have requested of you directly. Lawyers simply don't have experience in this and will add less than zero value, perhaps confusing and forgetting things.

A total waste of money if ever there was one.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 4/13/2019 at 1:08 PM, Arkady said:

Actually nothing to do with Immigration which is not involved with the citizenship process in any way. The legal situation is, in fact, quite different. The 1975 Immigration Act is distinctly lacking in detail but provides for details to be filled in via National Police Orders which have the force of law. That means that Immigration procedures can be changed at the drop of hat. In fact nearly all the types of visa that exist today apart from tourist visas and permanent residence have been added via police orders without the need to amend the Immigration Act.

In contrast the 1965 Nationality Act has a lot more detail and can only be amended through acts of parliament. 

Thank you.  Very interesting and useful insight.

Has anyone used the Thai name when getting citizenship?

Was it easier than keeping your original one?

What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Would it make things difficult to get money from abroad?

Would it affect me getting a new British passport?

Could it cause me grief at immigration?

On 4/29/2019 at 4:12 PM, Neeranam said:

Was it easier than keeping your original one?

What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Would it make things difficult to get money from abroad?

Could it cause me grief at immigration?

Below is my personal view and should not be taken as anything else than that:

I wouldn't recommend this unless you want in a certain way to enjoy a new life (new identity) and for me this is suitable to people who keep low-to-no economic connections with their country of origin. The reason why I'm saying (or feeling) this is because I foresee some drawbacks such as:
- If you country of origin requires you certified evidence of taxes paid or not paid and any kind of document that requires to have your original name and a stamp from a Thai administration...  it would be weird and difficult to get this done I think.

- Frequency of travel. In case the electronic gate is not working, Thai immigration officers will expect a boarding pass with your new name, so you must register the ticket to the new name... which is not the name on the password of your country of destination... IMO this mismatch can potentially create you trouble in airport transits where they usually expect a visa to the destination for that name. BTW I wonder how officials really react with a person who has two passport with two identities.

I know some people have done this but to me frequent travelers and people who keep strong economic (banking, business, tax...) connections on both sides should rather play it safe and use the transliterated name as Thai name. Just my view.

30 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Below is my personal view and should not be taken as anything else than that:

I wouldn't recommend this unless you want in a certain way to enjoy a new life (new identity) and for me this is suitable to people who keep low-to-no economic connections with their country of origin. The reason why I'm saying (or feeling) this is because I foresee some drawbacks such as:
- If you country of origin requires you certified evidence of taxes paid or not paid and any kind of document that requires to have your original name and a stamp from a Thai administration...  it would be weird and difficult to get this done I think.

- Frequency of travel. In case the electronic gate is not working, Thai immigration officers will expect a boarding pass with your new name, so you must register the ticket to the new name... which is not the name on the password of your country of destination... IMO this mismatch can potentially create you trouble in airport transits where they usually expect a visa to the destination for that name. BTW I wonder how officials really react with a person who has two passport with two identities.

I know some people have done this but to me frequent travelers and people who keep strong economic (banking, business, tax...) connections on both sides should rather play it safe and use the transliterated name as Thai name. Just my view.

I believe some countries do not allow their citizens to use different identities, so if you registered your new Thai name and your id card and passport were issued in your Thai name, you would also be required to change your name accordingly in your home country.  If you are happy with changing your name in your home country too then it should not be a problem. I retained my original name so it is a none issue for me. 

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

I believe some countries do not allow their citizens to use different identities, so if you registered your new Thai name and your id card and passport were issued in your Thai name, you would also be required to change your name accordingly in your home country.  If you are happy with changing your name in your home country too then it should not be a problem. I retained my original name so it is a none issue for me. 

At which stage of the process are you asked to choose which name you are going to use?

17 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

At which stage of the process are you asked to choose which name you are going to use?

I just reserved the names but after that was never asked whether I would use them. Everything just carried on under my original name. 

57 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

After picking up the naturalization certificate from SB, you go back to the amphur, local office where you chose the Thai name previously. At that point they enter your (new or old) name into the system and blue house book. It usually requires an appointment to get this step done. Then you can join the normal que of folks getting their Thai IDs.

Tip: tell them your religion, or you may get the default Buddhist like I did.

5 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

I think I agree with you. 

Getting money sent from abroad could be difficult as I'd have to change my name over there, as I'd have to change my bank account name here and can never use my UK passport here, after getting Thai citizenship( I think).

On 8/4/2016 at 11:26 AM, GarryP said:

I just updated my motorcycle registration by changing the nationality and ID number to conform with my ID card at the Land Transport Department without any problems. However, when I went to the local Revenue Department Office to update my tax payers ID card to be the same as my ID card number, they said that I could not do it and that I should continue using my current tax payer's ID. They were adamant about this. Go figure!!!!!   

So, the same in UK and most countries. Different departments, different numbers. That reduces oversight and you should be thankful

13 hours ago, Fred31 said:

So, the same in UK and most countries. Different departments, different numbers. That reduces oversight and you should be thankful

But the daft thing about it is that I am now using my Thai ID number, not my tax ID, when filing my tax returns. I assume I now have two numbers in the system. 

After a few weeks finally got through 317 pages.... few remaining questions if anyone can help.....

1) Does anyone have any experience in how calculations for the salary is determined, in the case of a recent increase.

Seen that current or past year are different options, with different levels, but whats criteria for current.

To clarify, have been above minimum for enough years, just increased salary to equivalent for max this month. Pro rata annual at end of this year /12 should be max, but half year pro rata when I may apply wont be.

Key question: How do they calculate current salary? How long should I wait to apply?

2) Yellow book - I am in chonburi but think have an option in BKK planning to use. 

Am I best to apply for yellow book first in Chonburi where I have house/wife/kids and then transfer after issued? Or apply first yellow book in Bkk?

3) Any issue in change of yellow book location mid application?

Can I register BKK to apply through main special branch, then move yellow book mid process while waiting on MOI?

7 hours ago, innerspace said:

After a few weeks finally got through 317 pages.... few remaining questions if anyone can help.....

1) Does anyone have any experience in how calculations for the salary is determined, in the case of a recent increase.

Seen that current or past year are different options, with different levels, but whats criteria for current.

To clarify, have been above minimum for enough years, just increased salary to equivalent for max this month. Pro rata annual at end of this year /12 should be max, but half year pro rata when I may apply wont be.

Key question: How do they calculate current salary? How long should I wait to apply?

2) Yellow book - I am in chonburi but think have an option in BKK planning to use. 

Am I best to apply for yellow book first in Chonburi where I have house/wife/kids and then transfer after issued? Or apply first yellow book in Bkk?

3) Any issue in change of yellow book location mid application?

Can I register BKK to apply through main special branch, then move yellow book mid process while waiting on MOI?

1. The last 3 years of. tax returns need to be over the minimum and the points are based on the 3rd year/12

2. Pattaya and Banglamung yellow books are very easy to aquire and transfer is also easy but they may questions it if you move right away. 

3. When you move your book to bkk you can apply at SB. You could probably move the book back to Chonburi. I personally left my book in bkk and will keep it there until the process is finished. No reason to move it back. 

On 4/29/2019 at 4:12 PM, Neeranam said:

You will not be able to get a British passport in your current name if you have any other passport in a different name; the UK application form requires you disclose any other passports and provide copies. 

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

You will not be able to get a British passport in your current name if you have any other passport in a different name; the UK application form requires you disclose any other passports and provide copies. 

Thanks, I thought so.  However, this might not be a problem. I could apply for a passport just before getting my Thai one, giving me 10 years.

Also, I could enter the UK with an expired British passport.

23 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Also, I could enter the UK with an expired British passport.

That would be a potential minefield. Automated entry into UK would be unlikely to work, so you'd have to go to a manned channel. An IO would ask you how you were able to board in first place with an expired passport. If you were asked by the IO to show your boarding pass, which would be in your Thai name, you'd have, at best, a lot of explaining to do. 

On 5/3/2019 at 11:08 AM, BKKBike09 said:

I understand why they want to see other passports, but is it really the case that they won't issue one if you're using another name? Thais change their names frequently. 

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I know and wonder if there is a limit to how often you can change your name.

I don't think there is, because your citizen ID number never changes, and is what the Thai government uses to identify you. 

You can change your name as often as you like, as Thais do for superstitious reasons, but you can't change your citizen ID number. 

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I know and wonder if there is a limit to how often you can change your name.

I don't think there is, because your citizen ID number never changes, and is what the Thai government uses to identify you. 

You can change your name as often as you like, as Thais do for superstitious reasons, but you can't change your citizen ID number. 

3 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Right, so you could change it back to your original name for passport process every 10 years.

I've been Thai for over 1.5 years now & kept my original name as it had served me well for the last 40 odd years. I changed my tax code to my Thai ID. This caused some questions & a bit of a delay this year. Interestingly a labour court judge ruled in my favour the other day & insisted on referring to me as a foreigner in the cout documents despite seeing my Thai ID. He wouldn't accept my wife's explanation of the naturalisation qualifications & procedure but admitted he didn't want to argue with the MOI. As he ruled in my favour I didn't want to rock the boat ????

13 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Right, so you could change it back to your original name for passport process every 10 years.

I'm not sure whether that's possible - there may be guidelines around choosing names that sound Thai, and are not foreign, preventing a switch back to your original name. I recall that SB told me this when I asked them, although they didn't sound very sure, so I was wondering whether anyone here had done it, or knew of anyone who has.

The question remains: does the British government forbid having a second name in a foreign passport, going so far as to refuse to issue a passport if this is the case, or is this only something that they must be notified of? This document would appear to suggest that they can endorse a passport with "This person is also known as", but also states that only one name be used for all official purposes....

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/548220/Annex_A_passports_August_2016.pdf

All in all, it's probably better to keep your original name.

Archived