Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

9 hours ago, qualtrough said:

I am in the process of waiting for the MOI interview. To speed up the citizenship process I changed my yellow book to the address of a relative living in Bangkok. This was at the suggestion of the SB people. Do the people living at the yellow book address there need to notify people that I am living there? My wife and I have never done that in 25 years. I would hate to get tripped up by something like that. Nobody mentioned or asked for that during my application process to date. If so, it is quite an imposition on those people if they have to file a report every so often.

Immigration requires these reports from the owner of the property where you physically reside. So, if you never even spend a night there, it should not be necessary. It is unlikely that there would ever be any coordination between Immigration and the district offices that issue the books to check that people in yellow books have been reported and they might have been properly reported as living somewhere else anyway. I think Immigration is only interested in substance over form here. So I wouldn’t worry about it.

The whole system of having a tabien baan book to confirm the address that is on your smart card ID where everyone knows you probably don’t live is utterly pointless and antiquated. Bit at least it is better than the ridiculous British system of demanding original hard copy bank statements or utility bills when these are now mainly no longer produced in hard copy.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure about others experience, but the longer I live in Thailand, the more I see how pointless the yellow book is, including the accompanying pink Non-Thai National ID card.  Even if you have it, you still have to do 90-day reporting (showing that even immigration officials consider residence and house registration completely different things) and every place official documentation is required (banks, government agencies, insurance companies, mobile and internet service providers), they don't care about the yellow book and expect to see the Passport and Work Permit.  Even nowadays, the pink ID card rarely gets me into most places at the Thai price, and if I do get the Thai price, it usually only because I am polite and negotiate with the ticket person in Thai.

I think the only thing the yellow book is good for is in checking one of the boxes of requirements for applying for Thai citizenship.  

Fortunately once you have the yellow book from anywhere in the country, it is very easy to transfer to someone else's house registration in Bangkok, and your name does not clutter their blue book either.  Your name does not show up in their blue book (unless you are a permanent resident).  If someone does not have a yellow book yet, I recommend applying at your local office wherever you and your Thai spouse reside, it is much easier that way.  Then you can move your registration to a friend or relatives or house in Bangkok.  Time commitment on their part will be tops 1 hour based on my experience.  

I've been a Thai citizen for 1 and a half years now and my biggest frustration occurred yesterday. I wonder if anyone more knowledgeable has any useful suggestions. I was informed by Rayong tax department that they no longer issue cheques for tax rebates and I had to register for prompt pay. I used my SCB App and it wouldn't let me register. I trotted along to my SCB branch to be told that my account stated I had a British passport (despite the fact I had made an appointment at that branch and changed the status 3 months ago). They told me to return the next day which I did and brought my doccumentation to show I was a Thai national and the Royal Gazette publication. I sat in the bank for an hour. Finally I received a phone call from a person at SCB to say that prompt pay was for Thai people only and I wasn't Thai I'd only changed nationality. My wife spoke to them and it transpires that because my Thai ID number starts with the number 8 and not a 3 prompt pay which was created by the BOT won't accept it. Is this just incompetence by the BOT or am I a 2nd class citizen? Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Hi Big Guns, I have my account with SCB and I took all original and photocopies of my Thai Naturalization docs including my old passport used earlier to open my account. Had experienced 2 banks as below.
1. SCB:
a) when I wanted to updated my existing account with my THAI ID they made all the fuss and asked to bring all originals.
b) went 2nd time with all docs and took almost 1.5hrs for the branch manager to call main branch and call Centre etc.
c) finally she update my savings and credit card account with my THAI ID
d) Promptpay is activated too

2. KBank: based on this experience my wife suggested. Why you make life difficult just open a new account. Believe it or not. Less than 15mins. With my THAI ID opened the new savings account with atm etc.

Sometimes, what we think a straightforward process is not the reality to many offices or banks. As they deal less than 100 new naturalized THAIs like is. And very few follow process 1 and process 2 is too easy.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

36 minutes ago, sathuluv said:

Hi Big Guns, I have my account with SCB and I took all original and photocopies of my Thai Naturalization docs including my old passport used earlier to open my account. Had experienced 2 banks as below.
1. SCB:
a) when I wanted to updated my existing account with my THAI ID they made all the fuss and asked to bring all originals.
b) went 2nd time with all docs and took almost 1.5hrs for the branch manager to call main branch and call Centre etc.
c) finally she update my savings and credit card account with my THAI ID
d) Promptpay is activated too

2. KBank: based on this experience my wife suggested. Why you make life difficult just open a new account. Believe it or not. Less than 15mins. With my THAI ID opened the new savings account with atm etc.

Sometimes, what we think a straightforward process is not the reality to many offices or banks. As they deal less than 100 new naturalized THAIs like is. And very few follow process 1 and process 2 is too easy.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I really did not have the option of opening a new account. Not only is my salary paid directly into my existing account, but I also had LTF, RMF and Mutual Fund accounts with Bangkok Bank. However, lucky for me, they knew what they were doing and my details were updated for all accounts. Really a very straight forward process. 

On 4/16/2019 at 9:40 AM, khongaeng said:

I think the only thing the yellow book is good for is in checking one of the boxes of requirements for applying for Thai citizenship.  

Its also useful every 6 years to renew your drivers license, proof of address. Saves a trip to immigration.

I agree, it's pretty useless, as is the non-Thai ID card. 

41 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Its also useful every 6 years to renew your drivers license, proof of address. Saves a trip to immigration.

I never had a yellow book or a pink ID card but it seems nice that the government allows foreigners to apply for these, if they want them but with no effective obligation to do so, even though they are in fact required by the the 2008 amendments to the Civil Registration Act which is not properly enforced.  I think you are all right.  The yellow book is only useful in applying for citizenship or renewing a drivers licence. With a certified translation it might also do as proof of address for legal matters abroad.  I did this once with my blue book. 

The pink card seems only useful as ID in those banks that accept it but for account opening, they will reasonably require passport, WP and the whole shooting match.  It can also be used as ID for domestic air travel, if you don't have a Thai drivers licence. Some people have said they can use the pink card for admission to things at the Thai price.  If so, that is an added bonus because you are clearly not Thai, if you have a pink card. I think it looks rather degrading with the prohibition against leaving your district on the back but I guess it has its uses. 

22 minutes ago, Arkady said:

I never had a yellow book or a pink ID card but it seems nice that the government allows foreigners to apply for these, if they want them but with no effective obligation to do so, even though they are in fact required by the the 2008 amendments to the Civil Registration Act which is not properly enforced.  I think you are all right.  The yellow book is only useful in applying for citizenship or renewing a drivers licence. With a certified translation it might also do as proof of address for legal matters abroad.  I did this once with my blue book. 

The pink card seems only useful as ID in those banks that accept it but for account opening, they will reasonably require passport, WP and the whole shooting match.  It can also be used as ID for domestic air travel, if you don't have a Thai drivers licence. Some people have said they can use the pink card for admission to things at the Thai price.  If so, that is an added bonus because you are clearly not Thai, if you have a pink card. I think it looks rather degrading with the prohibition against leaving your district on the back but I guess it has its uses. 

Never had the pink card either. But like you say, the yellow book had its uses, although limited. In fact I only got it because I needed it for my citizenship application. 

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Strangely enough when I went to renew my drivers license earlier this year, I prepared all my documents and was given two options, use my yellow book and pink ID card and only get a 2 year license or use my passport and WP and renew for 5 years. 

Thinking this was strange I asked politely and was told sharply that’s just how it is. I of course opted for the 5 year renewal, but left unsure of what the difference is all about. 

Strangely they don’t require one of those rubber stamp doctors certifications anymore. Again I have no idea if it is policy, but where I went it was not required. 

I can can confirm that the pink card can be used for domestic air travel, but so can a Thai drivers license...

3 hours ago, Arkady said:

The yellow book is only useful in applying for citizenship or renewing a drivers licence. With a certified translation it might also do as proof of address for legal matters abroad.  I did this once with my blue book.

When I had the yellow book I found it quite useful for dealing with government departments (bidding for jobs, building permits), registering vehicles, registering for internet, opening bank accounts, etc.  While they may not be required for some of these, it made things smoother.

This is because a yellow book, when photocopied (and that's all they require is photocopies) , is basically identical to a blue book and can be used anywhere a blue book is required.

Thais feel much more comfortable when they see Thai documentation that they recognize.

2 hours ago, khongaeng said:

Strangely enough when I went to renew my drivers license earlier this year, I prepared all my documents and was given two options, use my yellow book and pink ID card and only get a 2 year license or use my passport and WP and renew for 5 years.

Are you sure that it was not: "if you don't provide your work permit we can only give you 2 years?"

Are you not required to show proof of address?

There’s a very good reason to leave existing accounts as they are and open new accounts as a Thai: my “foreigner” bank account with Bangkok Bank allows online transfers to my account in the US as “salary repatriation” with just a couple keystrokes, making it very, very easy to transfer money overseas. Change the account to Thai nationality, and that is cut off. So I left it as is and just opened other ones as a Thai.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

51 minutes ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

There’s a very good reason to leave existing accounts as they are and open new accounts as a Thai: my “foreigner” bank account with Bangkok Bank allows online transfers to my account in the US as “salary repatriation” with just a couple keystrokes, making it very, very easy to transfer money overseas. Change the account to Thai nationality, and that is cut off. So I left it as is and just opened other ones as a Thai.

I read somewhere that if you use your original passport in Thailand, they can take away your Thai citizenship.

8 hours ago, Arkady said:

if you have a pink card. I think it looks rather degrading with the prohibition against leaving your district on the back but I guess it has its uses. 

That's the way I feel, however I've met a few guys who are proud to be Non-Thai, and two who think they are Thai citizens!

5 hours ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

Very strange. My Bangkok Bank account that I opened with my Thai ID allows foreign transfers. 

37 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Very strange. My Bangkok Bank account that I opened with my Thai ID allows foreign transfers. 

Without any documentation? As a foreigner, I can transfer as much as my yearly salary (there are some more restrictions) online to my accounts overseas just by clicking and using "salary repatriation" as the purpose of transfer. Can Thai citizens do the same?

This is an interesting subthread. Not being able to transfer money abroad easily would make me reconsider applying for citizenship.

3 hours ago, onthemoon said:

This is an interesting subthread. Not being able to transfer money abroad easily would make me reconsider applying for citizenship

A sub thread of that- Siam Commercial bank are using XRP for foreign remittances.

Digital assets,  ie cryptocurrencies have done and are doing away with old fashioned money transfers.

4 hours ago, onthemoon said:

Without any documentation?

Picture1.png.0a96ed5cd6dcdc857bff55783826e6fc.pngOnly my Thai ID card that I used to open the account, and again to apply for the foreign remittance facility. Once set up can send up to USD 250k per year from their online banking site. Above is a screenshot from Bangkok Bank website. Worked for me at SCB too - Thais have freedom to choose more reasons.....Picture2.png.0655d096edce08231d08f4612d4d1f20.png

13 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Only my Thai ID card that I used to open the account, and again to apply for the foreign remittance facility. Once set up can send up to USD 250k per year from their online banking site. Above is a screenshot from Bangkok Bank website. Worked for me at SCB too.

Thanks; I thought it is so difficult for Thai people to transfer money out. I guess I was mistaken.

22 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

SCB screebshot added to my post

I am not familiar with all of the purposes, but for those that I do know, I believe you need documentation. That includes family support, education, payment for goods and services. Can "personal expenses" be transferred without documentation?

Could anyone advise on a lawyer/attorney which could support for the application process for a decent fee?

I had contacted one in the past but the fee was around 0.5MTHB which seems extremely high to me.

59 minutes ago, roulax said:

Could anyone advise on a lawyer/attorney which could support for the application process for a decent fee?

I had contacted one in the past but the fee was around 0.5MTHB which seems extremely high to me.

I will suggest you take your wife to Special Branch Office Bangkok and arrange all documents by yourself,

Fees Request Nationality is only 5000THB

Maybe there will be a little Tea amount for Staff in SB.

Documents are not difficult to arrange, just follow the instructions, SB officer, and here you go in que.

don't hire any lawyer or Firm ,  you will only pay to them useless, same policy and documents you have to arrange EVEN YOU GO DIRECT SB OFFICE OR give to firm.

I suggest you TAKE YOUR WIFE TO SPECIAL BRANCH HEADQUARTER SIAM STATION BANGKOK.

Discuss your case with officer,

1 hour ago, roulax said:

I cant help with a lawyer but will say you will still be doing the work because the lawyer cant aquire the documents you need. SB will be the best lawyer and basically free

2 hours ago, roulax said:

What did the lawyer say he would do for that price?

Thank you to all for your answers.I know that I will have to get all documents by myself.

I am just looking at a facilitator in BKK as I have no time to take days and days off to take care of this, as I am based in Rayong.

I just wanted to have someone to facilitate the gathering of documents, get there at SB on the day of application and maybe support in case any additional were missing first.

I would like to avoid to make several trips to the SB because small documents are missing every time, this is why I am looking at this kind of service.

16 minutes ago, roulax said:

Thank you to all for your answers.I know that I will have to get all documents by myself.

I am just looking at a facilitator in BKK as I have no time to take days and days off to take care of this, as I am based in Rayong.

I just wanted to have someone to facilitate the gathering of documents, get there at SB on the day of application and maybe support in case any additional were missing first.

I would like to avoid to make several trips to the SB because small documents are missing every time, this is why I am looking at this kind of service.

You are going to have to come to Bangkok to get your documents anyway as you can't authorize others to get them for you (assuming you are based on a house registration in Bangkok). Also, the interviews with SB and NIA are in Bangkok too and the final interview before the main committee is in Pathumthani. So even if you hire someone, you will still need to come and do most of the work yourself. Perhaps they could do the translation stuff for you. But you are being scammed if they are charging 0.5m Baht. 

BTW SB will give you a list of all the documents you need. 

1 hour ago, roulax said:

I thought that I was too busy and worried about time taken off, and I live 7 hours drive away.

The last time I went to Bangkok was for the NIA interview 15 months ago and on a Saturday! Before that, I only had to go about 5 times in total. It's not that many days of work.

Hopefully only 3 more days to go.

Archived