Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

20 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Do you have an idea of the date or month SB sent your application to MOI?  

No, I don't know when my file was sent in. My NIA interview was on 12 January 2017, MOI interview 24 May 2019, roughly two years and four months apart.

I wasn't too bothered knowing if my file had been submitted, I was happy to wait it out.

• Like 1

Great no updates recevied . So we thought no interview thank you for letting us know btw what question normally they asked and how long it took.

I attended the MOI interview on the 24th of May. There were about 30 or so applicants there of which 18 were applying under marriage to a Thai wife.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 hours ago, Barty said:

Time from the NIA interview to the MOI interview was about 2 years and 4 months.

Congrats! You should normally get your ID card within 12 months.

When did you start your application exactly ?

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey

19 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

When did you start your application exactly ?

Visited the Special Branch on Rama 1 in late November 2016 to inquire about the application process.

Submitted the all of the required documents to Special Branch in early December 2016.

NIA interview mid January 1017.

MOI interview May 2019.

• Thanks 1

For those who already obtained their Thai IDs, how long did it take after taking the oath? I was told it would take about 3 to 4 months when I took my oath. The captain emphasized "ABOUT" ???? . My WP and Visa are due to expire in 4 months time. I'm hoping I can avoid having to go to immigration this year.  The captain's emphasis on about makes me think it could 3, 4, or 5 months or even longer.  It would be great to hear from the naturalized Thais on this. Thanks! 

6 minutes ago, echrist said:

For those who already obtained their Thai IDs, how long did it take after taking the oath? I was told it would take about 3 to 4 months when I took my oath. The captain emphasized "ABOUT" ???? . My WP and Visa are due to expire in 4 months time. I'm hoping I can avoid having to go to immigration this year.  The captain's emphasis on about makes me think it could 3, 4, or 5 months or even longer.  It would be great to hear from the naturalized Thais on this. Thanks! 

From facts I gathered in this forum: oath-to-ID seems to have taken 5-7 months recently (4-5 months for publication to the Royal Gazette plus 1-2 months to complete and get the ID).

On 6/1/2019 at 10:20 PM, Barty said:

We had been divided into two groups, one group was for people applying through PR and foreign women married to Thai men. The second group which I was in, was foreign men married to Thai women.

Thank you for your detailed review.

Does anybody know if this would imply that permanent residents are given an easier time then men applying married to Thai women?

7 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

Does anybody know if this would imply that permanent residents are given an easier time then men applying married to Thai women?

Only going by what i read on the internet seems its most likely the same. 

I have a suspension that almost anyone that gets to the moi interview passes

• Thanks 1

Married with Thai citizen and having kids is the most easiest way .
Exempted from thai speaking ,
Sing national anthem

If married to thai having kids thai.
You even don't need PR for 5 years .

Straight apply Nationality after specific tme.

4 minutes ago, david143 said:

Married with Thai citizen and having kids is the most easiest way .
Exempted from thai speaking ,
Sing national anthem

If married to thai having kids thai.
You even don't need PR for 5 years .

Straight apply Nationality after specific tme.

I agree that it's the easiest way before you apply. I meant that once you have applied and been accepted that the process might be easier for PRs since they have already been heavily vetted in the permanent resident application process.

• Like 1

I agree that it's the easiest way before you apply. I meant that once you have applied and been accepted that the process might be easier for PRs since they have already been heavily vetted in the permanent resident application process.
Process for Married with Thai citizen is easier too.
PR candidates have to provide dozens of papers
But married with thai only applicant's working docs.
Marriage certi
Kids birth certi
Donation 5000

You are done
Thts alllllllll.

20 minutes ago, david143 said:

Process for Married with Thai citizen is easier too.
PR candidates have to provide dozens of papers
But married with thai only applicant's working docs.
Marriage certi
Kids birth certi
Donation 5000

You are done
Thts alllllllll.

I'm not sure about that the only thing we have to provide extra is documents that we already have which is our permanent residency certificate an alien book.

No different than you providing marriage and birth certificates.

I'm not denying at all that the requirements are much harder for PR applicants than people married to Thais.

Just wondering if the process might be easier for people that have PR as they have already been heavily vetted.

Edited by THAIJAMES

If you are married with Thai and Having OR for 5 years
You are ok with it dont
Since you are married with Thai too.
Everything gose smoothly

Dont worry anything

I'm not sure about that the only thing we have to provide extra is documents that we already have which is our permanent residency certificate an alien book.

No different than you providing marriage and birth certificates.

I'm not denying at all that the requirements are much harder for PR applicants than people married to Thais.

10 hours ago, Big Guns said:

From oath to RG took about 4 months in 2017 for me. Don't worry about another visit to immigration. After RG I didn't report to immigration despite my 90 days falling then. I stressed to my firm that I was now Thai despite not having Thai ID yet. In fact the international school I worked for tried to reduce my benefits after becoming Thai. I took them to court & won. They then broke the court agreement so I took them to court again & won ????

Be interesting to hear more on this and how they justified changing your benefits.  I assume you have since left that school. 

2 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Only going by what i read on the internet seems its most likely the same. 

I have a suspension that almost anyone that gets to the moi interview passes

I heard of a case in which a person married to a Thai citizen didn't pass the MOI interview. I was told by an official that there was a age gap of many decades between husband and wife, no kids, and he didn't speak Thai. I don't know what else may have happened at the MOI interview, as that is all I was told. Perhaps, it's rare, but I guess people can fail at MOI. 

I heard of a case in which a person married to a Thai citizen didn't pass the MOI interview. I was told by an official that there was a age gap of many decades between husband and wife, no kids, and he didn't speak Thai. I don't know what else may have happened at the MOI interview, as that is all I was told. Perhaps, it's rare, but I guess people can fail at MOI. 
The case was 67 year old thai and guy was indian 43
Last year MOI stop SB to take these types of cases where age diff is too much .

I wonder if I would have succeeded with my current wife. There was only 3 years difference with my first wife, but there is 19 years difference with my second wife. Moot point by the way as I already have citizenship, but interesting nonetheless.

• Like 1

I wonder if I would have succeeded with my current wife. There was only 3 years difference with my first wife, but there is 19 years difference with my second wife. Moot point by the way as I already have citizenship, but interesting nonetheless.
Sometime especially indians messed this
Thy paid to thai older to get in marriage for 5 years and then start procedure never live togeather. Sham marriages captured by Big Joke In saraburi last year 2000 + cases all Indians where Thai national even dont know.
So indians always in tight and he even cant speak thai it dosnt matter as on marriage bases but MOI already knew he is just want citizenship.

1 minute ago, david143 said:

Thy paid to thai older to get in marriage for 5 years and then start procedure never live togeather. Sham marriages captured by Big Joke In saraburi last year 2000 + cases all Indians where Thai national even dont know.
So indians always in tight and he even cant speak thai it dosnt matter as on marriage bases but MOI already knew he is just want citizenship.

2000 cases i wonder how many people actually apply?  I assume asians dont go through SB and based in the submissions i saw from SB they are submitting around 30 per month.

2000 cases i wonder how many people actually apply?  I assume asians dont go through SB and based in the submissions i saw from SB they are submitting around 30 per month.
2000 + cases in saraburi
In sham marraiges for visa extension and Thai girls don't know
Those indians who sell peanuts clothes
Are most of them.

Are u MOI staff - your English is somewhat Tinglish

Anyway welcome if you are or aren’t:)

And agree with you, let’s try to keep scammers from getting Thai Citz

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 minutes ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

The rules are no different for Asians than anyone else. SB handles all.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Agreed but definitely a different office for thai men adopting foreign women than thai women adopting foreign men. 

22 hours ago, GarryP said:

Be interesting to hear more on this and how they justified changing your benefits.  I assume you have since left that school. 

The International school I worked for employed foreign staff on one year fixed term contracts. A few years ago they inserted a clause stating that staff had to inform them if they received Thai citizenship or residency. I'd kept them informed since I first applied. When I became Thai they couldn't employ me on fixed term contracts (private schol act forbids this for Thai citizens). They tried to give me another fixed term contract which I pointed out broke the law. They then gave me a non fixed term contract but removed my bonus and flights as they said Thai staff didn't receive them. I asked the ministry of education to investigate and informed the school they were breaking employment law as you can't reduce an employee's benefits without their consent. Their justification was flawed as they tried to argue that Thai and international staff had set benefits. I proved this was incorrect as staff had negotiated different benefits. In the end I took them to the labour court for breach of contract as they didn't pay my flight and breaking employment law as they didn't pay me severance for my 10 years of employment. In court the judge sided with me and they had to pay plus interest. We signed an agreement which stated they wouldn't prevent me from getting a new job. They then gave me a terrible reference which implied it might be unsafe to hire me. I took them to court again and the judge stated the headmaster was a slanderer and awarded damages. I don't regret becoming a Thai citizen one bit. I only regret giving 10 years of effort to an unethical organisation.

• Like 2

The International school I worked for employed foreign staff on one year fixed term contracts. A few years ago they inserted a clause stating that staff had to inform them if they received Thai citizenship or residency. I'd kept them informed since I first applied. When I became Thai they couldn't employ me on fixed term contracts (private schol act forbids this for Thai citizens). They tried to give me another fixed term contract which I pointed out broke the law. They then gave me a non fixed term contract but removed my bonus and flights as they said Thai staff didn't receive them. I asked the ministry of education to investigate and informed the school they were breaking employment law as you can't reduce an employee's benefits without their consent. Their justification was flawed as they tried to argue that Thai and international staff had set benefits. I proved this was incorrect as staff had negotiated different benefits. In the end I took them to the labour court for breach of contract as they didn't pay my flight and breaking employment law as they didn't pay me severance for my 10 years of employment. In court the judge sided with me and they had to pay plus interest. We signed an agreement which stated they wouldn't prevent me from getting a new job. They then gave me a terrible reference which implied it might be unsafe to hire me. I took them to court again and the judge stated the headmaster was a slanderer and awarded damages. I don't regret becoming a Thai citizen one bit. I only regret giving 10 years of effort to an unethical organisation.

Slow clap - well done ! Great story

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Big Guns said:

Very interesting. It seems that the school got its just desserts and you got your reward for working with them for so long. 

• Thanks 1