Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

On 8/20/2019 at 12:07 PM, bkk_bwana said:

I took the oath last week.  It was seven months after the MOI interview.  They congratulated me, told me and us that having taken the oath I was now a Thai citizen. He said that the naturalization certificate would take about three months to be signed off, that I would have to go back and pick it up and then visit the Khet for my ID card, and then go to the local police and Chaengwattana to cancel all other documents.

Total time, four years, eight months; it will probably be five by the time I get the certificate back.

Note that he said you don't have to wait for your ID card or the announcement in the Royal Gazette to be Thai.  You are Thai when you have taken the oath.  However, we all know that it is the documentation that you need.

Congrats !! exactly the same situation for me , hopefully we can get the ID's before the end of the year 

Last week when applying for a visa, I came across a situation where having Thai citizenship might cause some problems when applying for a visa to another country at the respective embassy in Thailand, and I am curious if any of you Thai citizens have encountered this issue and found work arounds.  

The situation is this: Applying for a visa when more favorable terms (length of visa or price) are available to passport holders of your original nationality.  However, applying for the visa at the embassy as a foreigner requires you to submit copies of your Thai visa and work permit.  These documents, of course, would not exist if you were a Thai citizen.  

Have you just gone through the visa application process as a Thai, or did you somehow use a combination of your Thai ID card with your foreign passport to convince the embassy to allow you to use your foreign passport.  

The TM30 issue is much in the news lately and I am still as confused as ever about how it works. At my non-Chaengwattana branch this topic has never come up, even when I renew my visa/WP or do a 90 day. Anyone know if a history of being fined for failure to report could impact a citizenship application?

TM30

1 hour ago, qualtrough said:

The TM30 issue is much in the news lately and I am still as confused as ever about how it works. At my non-Chaengwattana branch this topic has never come up, even when I renew my visa/WP or do a 90 day. Anyone know if a history of being fined for failure to report could impact a citizenship application?

citizenship Application is followed by your Yellow Book, i kept my same address as Per in Yellow book and in TM30/90Day.
for this sh**t i am not traveling abroad. 
anyways i will wait for travel abroad until Thai Passport will be in my hand.

But in citizenship process immigration part is only to verify visa details and sit in interview meeting panel as a member.

All process of verification is done by SB.

While you are on Visa try to use same address of your Yellow book in immigration puzzles, which is TM30 and TM47 90days
goodluck

Edited by david143
addd more info

1 hour ago, echrist said:

Just to update all of you on my citizenship progress....name published in the RG on Aug. 15 and picked up my citizenship documents on Friday Aug. 30. At some point this week, I'll make a trip the local khet to attempt to get my Thai ID card. 

Congratulations! 

How long did the whole process take for you?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, echrist said:

Just to update all of you on my citizenship progress....name published in the RG on Aug. 15 and picked up my citizenship documents on Friday Aug. 30. At some point this week, I'll make a trip the local khet to attempt to get my Thai ID card. 

Thats great news !!! congrats again,  seems like things are speeding up especially after the name has been published in the RG, from previous post seemed like it took over 2 months from the RG to ID

• Like 1

22 hours ago, echrist said:

Could you kindly share the link for Aug 15-2019 Royal Gazette’s announcement please. Thanks. 

11 minutes ago, Andre168 said:

Could you kindly share the link for Aug 15-2019 Royal Gazette’s announcement please. Thanks. 

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2562/E/203/T_0002.PDF

Also 22 August (only women).

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2562/D/063/T_0002.PDF

Edited by GarryP
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, david143 said:

173 Foreigners very nice 

Makes me wonder why mine is taking so long. I was told in november 2017 that there were 300 ahead of me in the process. 

I just called the MOI, and all they could tell me was "soon". At least there doesn't seem to be problem,  unless he didn't like being hassled ( ie having to look for file) and put me to the bottom of the pile.

How many here phoned or went to the MoI to check on the progress? 

Do you think it helped or hindered your application?

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Makes me wonder why mine is taking so long. I was told in november 2017 that there were 300 ahead of me in the process. 

I just called the MOI, and all they could tell me was "soon". At least there doesn't seem to be problem,  unless he didn't like being hassled ( ie having to look for file) and put me to the bottom of the pile.

How many here phoned or went to the MoI to check on the progress? 

Do you think it helped or hindered your application?

Going back a few years now, when matters were first transferred from the Ministry of the Interior near Sanam Luang to the offices of the Department Of Provincial Administration in Lamlukka, I followed up a few times. However, it was all very new at that time so I don't think it hindered my application. It may be different now. In my case, had I not been as hands on as I was, I do not think I would have obtained citizenship. I was actually interviewed twice, once at MOI and once at DOPA.   

On 5/18/2007 at 10:33 PM, dbrenn said:

armed with a candle, a lotus

flower and an incense stick. I then had to stand with these in my

hands while clasped in a wai, in front of a Buddhist shrine, repaeting

an oath of allegance to King and country, and promising to be an

upright and law-abiding citizen.

Struth! I find that quite grim.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Why on earth would you? Citizens of any country have obligations as well as privileges. 

The religious aspect is  why.

All thats needed here would be 

promising to be an

upright and law-abiding citizen

Edited by gunderhill

5 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

The religious aspect is  why.

All thats needed here would be 

promising to be an

upright and law-abiding citizen

You get to choose your religion. You are not forced to choose Buddhism. Christian is okay, as is Islam. Not sure they would understand that people are also atheist so Buddhism is an easy way out.   

Just now, ThaiBunny said:

The religion of your home country

I have no religion and my country doesn't and outside Thai army  barracks it says protecting Thai nation people and religions so a  Muslim might find standing  next to a  Buddhist  and swearing allegiance offensive.

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

You get to choose your religion. You are not forced to choose Buddhism. Christian is okay, as is Islam. Not sure they would understand that people are also atheist so Buddhism is an easy way out.   

Do  you mean at some point you have to tick a box "chose  religion"?

If you say you cant stand and  do this with the Buddhist stuff what happens?

Edited by gunderhill

6 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Don't see the problem here ? you can pick any religion you want, and if you didn't pick any religion then you can just swear allegiance to His Majesty the King and promise to be a law abiding citizen. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Well if you are atheist, it doesn't really matter, does it? You could swear on anything as it would be meaningless to you anyway. If, however, you barred from swearing on any religion due to personal beliefs, I think you would just have to tell them that and see what happens. I do not think they would stop the whole thing at that stage, but you never know.  I know many Thais who don't understand how I cannot have any religious beliefs. 

• Like 2