Thunderbolt & lightening, very, very frightening me.

champers

19 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I think the "rainy" season has arrived early (if I recall, the powers that be said a while ago that it was supposed to start in early May). 

Every bloody year, I hear people say that ???? at Songram time.

19 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Got a real lashing in Nakhon Sawan yesterday, took the mil ( she rarely leaves the house) and a few other “ hangers on “ for some jap snap at Yayoi , unfortunately it was closed !! so KFC it was .

Soo, after some delicious chicken skin and bone decided to wander round the upstairs Lotus as it was raining heavy out. Man !! was it bouncing off the roof , you could barely hear yourself think ( “ what am I doing trying to manoeuvre a wheelchair round Lotus on a Saturday afternoon !!” ).

NOTE TO LOTUS’S(S): you really need to make those aisles in the clothing section wheelchair friendly !!

The rain was cascading off the roof in several impressive waterfalls reminiscent of Iguaçu Falls, was glad I didn’t park near the building, or leave my sunroof open !!

Back home , Ayutthaya, we are due a big one . Last week we had a taster after 2 or 3 days of 40 c plus temps and then a storm that brought a couple of trees down locally but I think the worst is yet to come .

All the way from Ayuttaya to Nakon Sawan and back just for KFC & Lotus?   LOL

21 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Every bloody year, I hear people say that ???? at Songram time.

If I recall, last Songkran was pretty dry. We were having water restrictions and even cut-offs and everyone was kind of happy that Songkran was cancelled (and that the hotels weren't full of tourists).

I think the year before was pretty dry as well (2019). I seem to remember the rainy season started late that year and ended early. 

But I also remember a number of Songkran parties where people were getting absolutely drenched without splashing any water at all. 

(Seems it's about to rain again. Big heavy drops slamming into the patio roof right now, but not a lot of them. Yet.)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Got a real lashing in Nakhon Sawan yesterday, took the mil ( she rarely leaves the house) and a few other “ hangers on “ for some jap snap at Yayoi , unfortunately it was closed !! so KFC it was .

Soo, after some delicious chicken skin and bone decided to wander round the upstairs Lotus as it was raining heavy out. Man !! was it bouncing off the roof , you could barely hear yourself think ( “ what am I doing trying to manoeuvre a wheelchair round Lotus on a Saturday afternoon !!” ).

NOTE TO LOTUS’S(S): you really need to make those aisles in the clothing section wheelchair friendly !!

The rain was cascading off the roof in several impressive waterfalls reminiscent of Iguaçu Falls, was glad I didn’t park near the building, or leave my sunroof open !!

Back home , Ayutthaya, we are due a big one . Last week we had a taster after 2 or 3 days of 40 c plus temps and then a storm that brought a couple of trees down locally but I think the worst is yet to come .

Dont want to worry you but Nakhon sawan Tesco has reports of a possible covid cluster.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

If I recall, last Songkran was pretty dry.

My recollection is we have not had the heavy monsoon rains for some years, and the rainy season was late coming, well after Songkran.... usually drop down tired and hot this time of year. 

14 hours ago, natway09 said:

It is Songkran, start of the rainy season.......Enjoy

Water ,,,the lifeblood of existence

Not really correct.... Songkran is traditionally meant to cool one during the tail end of the hot season. That said I will take this early cool weather. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Thailand said:

I think the government deserves a pat on the back arranging these storms to disperse the smog.

And just in time for Songkran.

I was thinking " I wonder when this poster joined TV to be able to have this beautifully simple username" so I checked your date joined..

Wow! 2002! This is the earliest date joined I have seen on the forum..

You must have been George's best friend at the time!

• Haha 1

Hmmm, 10 day forecast calls for rain - every day. (Well, anywhere from a 14% to 83% chance of rain at least.)

You know, in case anyone was wondering if it might rain again or something. 

I cannot get enough of those incredible thunderstorms. Been in some monsters on Samui, when the lightning was directly overhead. That can be hairy. But, the storms are amazing.

I lived in Southern California for too long. People talk about how great the weather is there, and I say what weather are you referring to? I think you are talking about the utter absence of weather! Not interesting at all. 

I like it when the thunder is loud enough to set off car alarms and the lightning knocks out the power unexpectedly. 

And how you can go from bone dry to a meter of flowing water in just a few minutes, and then 2 hours later not even know it rained as everything has already dried out again !

And it does make a nice change once in awhile from the "yawn, another sunny, hot and humid day just like the last 3 months".

On 4/11/2021 at 3:09 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Yes some storm, i do like sitting on the balcony and watching storms

I recall having lived in a city where the basement was prone to flooding in heavy downpours. Remember the statement of being careful what you wish for? Moved to a small hilltop and felt rather smug about no basement flooding! And then ... oops, tornadoes warnings drove me to the basement, as well as, having the lightening.

On 4/11/2021 at 3:45 PM, Kerryd said:

I think the "rainy" season has arrived early (if I recall, the powers that be said a while ago that it was supposed to start in early May). 

Only took a few minutes to fill my 45 gal "rain can" with the run-off from the roof. Seems to be petering out now though.

45  gallons, I'm waiting to  fill  up  my 1  rai lake.

After the first wave of the storm ended, I rode my bike to Naklua from  Soi Honey. As soon as I opened my door, the final wave hit. I cleared the balcony, closed the windows, put on the aircon, and watched a remastered 1080p blu ray rip of Heat.

27 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

camels?

Animals that may have 1 hump or two. Ones found on soi 6 often have many humps. Fergie (from the Black Eyed Peas) has lady humps. Probably won't find her on Soi 6 but others with "lady humps" have been known to congregate there.

Many camels on Beach Road can be identified by their large "toes", which are usually quite visible (and maybe used as a lure to attract unsuspecting, elderly foreigners).

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

Animals that may have 1 hump or two. Ones found on soi 6 often have many humps. Fergie (from the Black Eyed Peas) has lady humps. Probably won't find her on Soi 6 but others with "lady humps" have been known to congregate there.

Many camels on Beach Road can be identified by their large "toes", which are usually quite visible (and maybe used as a lure to attract unsuspecting, elderly foreigners).

Isn't there a bar called The Camel's Toe?

• Like 1