56 dead, 729 injured in first two days of Songkran travel - 17,000 nabbed for no licenses

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Hamselv2 said:

56 dead in 2 days!!, nothing special about that, the last couple of years there has been around 22.000 dead in traffic each year, that's equal to 60 dead each day!!, so in fact the amount of dead has been reduced.... or do I miss something here?

The "7 deadly days" always equates to a road death toll less than the normal tally.

Don't lose any sleep over the numbers.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 7:57 PM, Excel said:

No it does not say that. 87 percent of all accidents involved a motor bike was stated.  That could also mean 87% of accidents involved a car hitting a motorbike. It was not defined accurately hence false assumptions could easily be drawn. Likewise it was quoted 17,000 people were found to have no license without defining the exact number of people stopped. So the % of drivers not holding a valid license is unknown.

I think they stopped 17000 and 1 people! I wander how many bikes had three or more people on them? Is that not illegal here???

4 hours ago, jambesobrien said:

I think they stopped 17000 and 1 people! I wander how many bikes had three or more people on them? Is that not illegal here???

Actually yes but absolutely no one cares. I have seen six, 3 adults, 2 babies and a child standing. However the best I saw and unfortunately I am useless taking photos, was 3 women one of whom was holding a dog and a large dog on the floor of a scooter with its pal running behind trying to keep up.

Since the start of the pandemic, there have been 97 Covid-19 deaths in Thailand.  56 traffic deaths in only 2 days may surpass the Covid-19 death count by the end of Songkran.  The country has been in lock down for over a year for what amounts to the equivalent of a national holiday traffic death toll.  Sort of puts things in perspective.

Just now, Seadog48 said:

Since the start of the pandemic, there have been 97 Covid-19 deaths in Thailand.  56 traffic deaths in only 2 days may surpass the Covid-19 death count by the end of Songkran.  The country has been in lock down for over a year for what amounts to the equivalent of a national holiday traffic death toll.  Sort of puts things in perspective.

It does beg the question......no masks.....no lockdown......international flights and tourists allowed.......how many deaths might there have been???