56 dead, 729 injured in first two days of Songkran travel - 17,000 nabbed for no licenses

snoop1130

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Of the vehicles inspected 61,702 drivers face prosecution, with 15,661 found to not be wearing helmets and 17,025 did not have driving licenses.

So motor cycles impounded... yes?

Or just the usual fine and on-yer-way.

No news here! Thailand averages 71 deaths a day, either 'at scene' or in Hospitals (not often reported) so this figure is obviously 'at scene'. It's staggering that they cripple a country over a virus (95 total covid deaths to date, 15 months) and nothing is done about the roads.  Let the population 'cull' itself I guess is the thought process here, phew!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Knight said:

If the insurance companies demanded to see a Valid Driving licence before insurance given, this would cut down that number 

How many of the older cars are insured for more than the third class insurance mandated by the government when it is re-registered every year would be a better question.  

28 minutes ago, dgwooster said:

"Most accidents occurred between 4pm and 8pm . . "

That would be when the sun is lowest on the horizon.   Glare most likely an important contributor.  

How many riders or drivers may also have vision problems and never get checked or wear glasses that might also assist them in seeing outside of the vehicle, and how many check the mirrors when changing lanes.  Education and medical are both important.

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

That in itself shows the endemic and systemic problems here in Thailand.  I wish they would publish the stats for those involved in accidents that were unlicensed.  Then also publish stats for those who died while riding a motorbike without a helmet as well. In the interest of public safety I would hope that they were not allowed to continue onwards driving/riding with just a citation in their pocket. One would wonder also if the vehicles were seized and parked until a proper helmet or licensed driver was on scene and who signed a sheet indicating that they would not let the cited driver get behind the wheel and drive or the next time the vehicle would be seized and auctioned off.  Tough love is needed in order to stop the lunacy.

Having a Thai license isn't going to reduce accidents as the testing system is a complete and utter joke, even when it is implemented correctly and to the letter. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, dgwooster said:

That would be when the sun is lowest on the horizon.   Glare most likely an important contributor.  

More likely they have been drinking all day

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dgwooster said:

You must be Thai to come up with that idea. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I used to make regular trips to Bali for business, and there almost everyone wears a helmet because it's the law and presumably it is enforced. In Thailand, almost no-one wears a helmet - especially outside of the towns - even though it's the law, because the law isn't enforced. Still, up to them. It's their country, their life. Most of the time they just kill themselves so why should we care?

Yes it is their country and their lives, I just don't want the head of the rider exploding on the windshield of my car or side windows as they hit me me at high speed because they decided to swerve into my lane or drive into the side of me without stopping at a T intersection.  I saw enough of that in my early days here in Phuket. 

• Like 1

17,000 nabbed for no licenses

Multiply that by 1,000 at least and you can thank the cops for their failure to do their jobs. So this is nothing more than a PR stunt, the only time they do their jobs, Songkran to show they are out there once a year, they are an utter disgrace.

Edited by 4MyEgo

13 hours ago, Excel said:

Likewise it was quoted 17,000 people were found to have no license without defining the exact number of people stopped. So the % of drivers not holding a valid license is unknown.

Um, yes they did, here it below.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Police said 1,916 checkpoints inspected 330,653 vehicles. 

Of the vehicles inspected 61,702 drivers face prosecution, with 15,661 found to not be wearing helmets and 17,025 did not have driving licenses.

That's about 5% according to my calculations.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Um, yes they did, here it below.

No you are wrong.  When referring to vehicles in these reports they refer to both motors cycles and cars as "vehicles". Sometimes they break out the cars from the bikes but in this report they did not.  You and I perhaps consider a car is a car and a bike is a bike but they refer to all as vehicles unless specifically defined otherwise.  That is illustrated further by earlier reports where it was claimed that 47% of bike riders do not hold a valid licence whereas I think the figure was 19% of car drivers who were nabbed didn't have one. Even so a lot of lunatics riding around on 2 or 4 wheels.

Edited by Excel

3 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

Fines should never be paid at the scene.

The reason they do this is because they are too lazy to chase them when they don't pay it and they don't have a demerit system yet, whereby they can cancel their licenses if they don't pay, and based on the 17,000 who don't have licenses I am sure there are tens of thousands more.

The system is as you say, corrupt and inept and for change to happen, they have to have a police force that is prepared to enforce the law, and system in place to punish those who break it, i.e. heavy fines, jail time and we know how Thai's are so let's not kid ourselves, it all starts at the schools, they never fail a single student and there in lay the problem. You have to be cruel to be kind and here their cruel is for students to bring the teacher a broom or a vase or paint the classroom for 2-3 days and they will pass the failing student, then they go on to be cops, government officials and in the end you have a total failure.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Too harsh I think close to a months income for many Thais that is like a 100,000 b fine in western countries.

3,000 b would probably be enough to get their attention.

No No NO! It is deliberately high to force the Thais to tow the line. Treat it as a warning. Nothing else works with them.  As I said.......Stay within the law and nobody is punished!