DLT suspending most office services due to COVID-19

snoop1130

0a29be026fcf259caa00ce129a315ec1_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has announced it is suspending driver training and drivers license testing across the country from April 16th onward in an effort to stifle the spread of COVID-19, but will continue extending licenses that don’t require testing and will allow expired licenses to be used until June 30.

DLT Director-General Jirut Wisanjit said today that DLT offices will not be training or testing for personal drivers’ licenses or public transport licenses except for those who have already completed training at recognized schools. Those eligible for a license must submit their details within six months from when they are first eligible. Training by the DLT will only be provided via e-learning at the department’s website with credentials issued online. Mobile DLT units have also been suspended for all services.

The department has coordinated with the Royal Thai Police Office to provide leniency to citizens driving with suspended licenses until June 30th this year. People who are already pending service after receiving a place via the DLT Smart Queue will still be served until further notice. Other services that do not need an extended presence at an office will still be provided.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2021-04-15

Now you folks that were out 3 to 4 months for appointments already will be pushed even further out, what a croc as it should all be moved online for DL renewals and registration renewals as well, as long as you don't have any tickets or too many points in the database.  But then this is Thailand and not the US, the UK, or the EU. Glad I got mine done in September, and then renewed my California Dl online for a 5 year period as well back in December.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Excel said:

Well that must be frustrating for those 10s of thousands of drivers who have been nabbed for driving with no licence over Songkran, now they can't get one anyway

Never stopped them from driving before without one now did it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

People who are already pending service after receiving a place via the DLT Smart Queue will still be served until further notice.

So for us who have an appointment to renew driver's license via the queuing system should be accepted, I assume.

20 minutes ago, kotsak said:

So for us who have an appointment to renew driver's license via the queuing system should be accepted, I assume.

one could only hope the appointments and reservations will be honored, just like renewing your vehicle registration.  Where would you get your new tag from if the DLT is closed and your registration expires?

12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

one could only hope the appointments and reservations will be honored, just like renewing your vehicle registration.  Where would you get your new tag from if the DLT is closed and your registration expires?

If you are referring to the annual renewal where you get an entry in the vehicle blue book after you pay, this can be done at other locations outside DLT offices or even online (if I remember correctly).

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, kotsak said:

If you are referring to the annual renewal where you get an entry in the vehicle blue book after you pay, this can be done at other locations outside DLT offices or even online (if I remember correctly).

If I understand the article correct, such "short" visits will not be affected.

The offices will not be totally closed.

It's "just" the driving license stuff, where groups of people hang around together in the building

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

one could only hope the appointments and reservations will be honored, just like renewing your vehicle registratio.  Where would you get your new tag from if the DLT is closed and your registration expires?

Anywhere in your town that has พรบ sign plenty about I have never been to a DLT office to renew my registration.

Just now, kickstart said:

Anywhere in your town that has พรบ sign plenty about I have never been to a DLT office to renew my registration.

I am in Bangkok now, but I do remember when living outside of Udon Thani,  there was in the town next to us a place like your saying, where I did my registration at a small office near the police station. I will look around where we are in Sathon.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

If it's a less than 7 years old car, or a less than 5 years old motorbike, you can do it at 7/11.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The department has coordinated with the Royal Thai Police Office to provide leniency to citizens driving with suspended licenses until June 30th this year.

Their kidding and picking up the bill  ? Surely that would break every insurance clause in the book

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has announced it is suspending driver training and drivers license testing across the country from April 16th onward

I'm sure the noticeable effect will be far reaching.

Having just managed to get an appointment to extend my 5 yr license on 27 April just before my doctor certificate expires this is unforgivable. I haven't been able to drive since 14 Jan when my license expired and they also closed the office. No good squaring it with the RTP! It's the insurance that matters. This is costing me a lot! Having to keep charging the battery is the least of my problems! I will attend my appointment on 27 just to make my point. My wife had to argue with them just to get the appointment as there was a power cut when she went. They should forget their pointless video and tests use the old photo and pass me out a new license from inside their bunker. They still are available to collect road tax and test vehicles I see just don't want to deal with the public!