Thailand's sex trade: A million women in it and it's bigger than the drug trade, says Chuwit

webfact

My dad used to reside in Thailand (RIP)

The only advise he gave me before i went to Thailand was that everyone is on the game, everyone!

I thought at the time it was a bit of a sweeping statement however having spent more time in Thailand it seems he was pretty correct.

The only other advise he gave me was that pretty much all government workers were corrupt, not just the dictarships and 3rd world countries but all of them and that seems to be coming true also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

So all foreigners that use prostitutes are free from blame?

people who use the services of prostitutes that are not forced to be prostitutes are not to blame at all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ed strong said:

My dad used to reside in Thailand (RIP)

The only advise he gave me before i went to Thailand was that everyone is on the game, everyone!

I thought at the time it was a bit of a sweeping statement however having spent more time in Thailand it seems he was pretty correct.

The only other advise he gave me was that pretty much all government workers were corrupt, not just the dictarships and 3rd world countries but all of them and that seems to be coming true also.

It is good that you understand that as you get older you also get wiser, exactly like your Dad did.  Many people don't like to hear that but it is generally true.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...the majority of women under 40 are sex workers".

Chuvit did not say anything like that, those are your words.

Actually it's you quoting me out of context. I know precisely what he said, and Thai demographics are readily available to make a comparison. I'm paraphrasing Charles Dilke (among others) that "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.". Chewit made up the figure and it's his own speculation. I'm saying I don't agree with it. While I was no angel before I got married, the suggestion that such a high proportion of Thai women are sex workers simply does not reflect my own experience of Thai women. These numbers are quoted, people pickup the quotes and run with them, even though they have no basis in reality. Why the world thinks all Thai women are whores and I live in Thailand because I'm a peadophile, right?

• Like 1

Completely out of date......far more "business" is effected on Facebook and Twitter, Tik Tok, Chat lines etc than all the bars etc put together! 

Why do you think they sit there all day on there phones?  Talking to mother?

Edited by Paul DS

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

So all foreigners that use prostitutes are free from blame?

nobody is to blame using a service the market offers. I go get my hair trimmed, go to CARcare with my sheila, go to Immigration / Bank / Post Office ... all services

7 minutes ago, connda said:

And like drugs, the government should decriminalize or legalize it and enjoy some tax revenue.

Many establishments already pay big time.

Will never happen they make more off it in the current state off the record.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Xonax said:

Without the sex-trade, tourism figures would also be much lower, as many tourists (and expats) would select other destinations.

Very true, if you take away the sex trade, Thailand's not that different to Malaysia.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gunderhill said:

BY far the bulk is Thai men.

A research done years ago found that about 2% of the sex trade was from tourists.  The rest was Thai people. There are thousands of Karaoke bars and clubs that only cater for Thai men.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, that is incorrect, no RTP representative in Pattaya or government official has ever stated that "there is no prostitution in Pattaya".     

Best you check before making statements like that ????????

Edited by Golden Triangle
  • Like 1

He speaks the truth his professor need not challenge because they know the truth. No need to read his paper it is common knowledge unless you have your head up a butt hole? 

The government have no plans to change it either they just go through the motion as if they care but keeping the system the way it is, majority of education ends at Fifteen either too poor or too stupid so what do you do they think " is that all there is "  let have a baby as soon as the kid <deleted>s the kid is out of there take no responsibility the cycle continues and continues prices go up but there you go the origination of your production line of sex workers.

That process I just noted is like a profession in itself the culture accepts the sex industry as a profession no different than working at 7/11, Big C, Lotus, except you have to go to school a few more years to qualify but in the end they all have something in common your pretty much done at ( 27-30 ) ever see some old women at 7/11? 

The theory of the leaders is " keep them barefoot and pregnant "  the rich gets richer.????

• Like 2