Thailand's sex trade: A million women in it and it's bigger than the drug trade, says Chuwit

webfact

In Thailand the sex industry continues to grow and grow and these days there are beer promotion women, pretties, "Ent" girls, Pheuan Kin Khao (friends to eat with) and "girlfriends for rent" swellling the prostitute ranks. 

Promotion women and pretties too? That's quite a broad definition of the "sex trade". 

By that definition, half the young women in Western cities are in the sex trade too.  Ever been to a PR agency? I mean.. those girls aren't getting hired for their brains.

17 hours ago, biggles45 said:

There would be very few reasonably sized towns in Thailand, most never seeing a foreign tourist, who dont have a well known bar or brothel area catering to the local men. 

I am the only farang living in my village/small town, one Tesco mini mart and two 7-11s. If I was wanting to find a brothel, I would not know where to start, but I would bet there is one in the locality somewhere.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Then there are those Thais who have many a Mia  Noi, basically  just another type  of prostitution, those old    Thais you see around  with a  girl way younger than them in shopping malls.

I disagree, Mia Nois are not prostitutes at all. 

Regarding old guys with young girls, yes it happens but nowhere near as common as with foreigners. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Senechal said:

Promotion women and pretties too? That's quite a broad definition of the "sex trade". 

By that definition, half the young women in Western cities are in the sex trade too.  Ever been to a PR agency? I mean.. those girls aren't getting hired for their brains.

Its a cultural thing, of course the majority or pr agents in western cities are not likely to sleep with you, however in Thailand and to a degree other 3rd world countries its a totally different situation.

That's what makes Thailand so popular with ex pats, although speaking to different women it seems a fair few of the old ex pats aren't even boning them just essentially paying for companionship, which is fine as i'm sure she prefers that

I remember speaking to a working girl who flipped her time between Pattaya and Hua Hin, and essentially she would stay in pattaya to party and bone youngish falangs with little money and then spend a few weeks in Hua hin to wind down and charge higher for the the older clientele there and alot of the time she would make sure they were drunk and stay out late, coupled with then spending twenty minutes in the hotel room toilet in the hope that the client will be asleep by the time she comes out. Then she needs to leave early because her 'sister' needs some 'help' Grabs the 2 grand and see you later!

• Thanks 1

The idea that this ‘sex-tourism’ as it is ‘denial labelled’, is both the cause of and predominate in sexual economics in Thailand  and can be stoped belies the reality of the entire social structure of Thai culture. Lots of reality based comments here on this topic so far so not much more to add by me. The culture of hi-so low-so paid sideline relationships abound in Thailand apart from local based patronage of other pay for play relationships by hundreds of thousands of women irrespective of foreign contact reinforces both the denial and protection of this hi-so pay for play phenomena in Thai culture. The press official

releases/comments simply confirm the above.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2021 at 12:30 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Sex, drugs, and rock and roll, or is it pop culture and rap now.

Regardless, it has been here always and yet never admitted to only that they are working on family friendly venues for tourists.  

The issue is it is not just tourists that utilize these services but many in the government, and there lies the big issue and problem.

And thus the story of TIT continues...Do as I say not as I do and never tell me how I can improve.

From government officials all the way down to teachers. Ignorance is bliss. Khap phom.

Edited by Solinvictus

That half-formed mustache looks pretty familiar...

Isn't this the guy who ran for some government office years ago, and had, as his advertisements, posters of him riding on a motor-scooter brandishing an axe? Implying he was going to "chop down corruption"?

There is no point in condemning the sex trade - the reason why it exists is because the government are not interested in investing in the people in this country particularly women and so they have little or no choice to seek income by selling the only thing they can offer their bodies and of course in many instances are pressurised by lazy male partners and poor families to do this - Training and skill development for the women + business incentives would enable many to seek alternative sources of income