Australia - Thailand

Hi,

Although not married, I have a Thai partner. Am currently in Australia and wish to go to Thailand for a extended period. Anyone is similar situation? And has anyone been successful in applying to both Australian government and Thai government to permit this? Don't want to spend thousands on visa lawyers.

• Like 2

Under 50? and not married to Thai and wish to stay "extended period" all adds up to enter visa exempt and use an agent to obtain non O (volunteering).

You don't do any volunteer work.

Gives you over a year. Not cheap ~45k baht.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Under 50? and not married to Thai and wish to stay "extended period" all adds up to enter visa exempt and use an agent to obtain non O (volunteering).

You don't do any volunteer work.

Gives you over a year. Not cheap ~45k baht.

Under 50 - the STV is a further option which could allow him to stay beyond the end of September.

Need more info from the OP.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Firstly, being under 50 and not married to a Thai limits your options to stay long term in Thailand.

Secondly, having a compelling reason to leave Australia in order to obtain an exemption.

I can only think of only one situation that may allow you to obtain an exemption and allow you to stay long term in Thailand, but that forces your hand - marriage to your Thai partner.

Alternatively wait until the worst of the Covid pandemic subsides and restrictions/requirements are downgraded.

Agree - but even if marriage to my Thai was a option, we'd both have to be in either Thailand or Australia. And depressingly Aus gov have montioned that international travel might be off the cards till 2024.....

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Marcomilton7 said:

Agree - but even if marriage to my Thai was a option, we'd both have to be in either Thailand or Australia. And depressingly Aus gov have montioned that international travel might be off the cards till 2024.....

I meant the reason for the exemption was to get married to your Thai partner and reside long term in Thailand.

Australians and permanent residents

If you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption. You can apply online but you must meet at least one of the following:

• you are travelling outside Australia for a compelling reason for three months or longer
  • you are travelling on compassionate or humanitarian grounds 

Leaving Australia | COVID-19 and the border (homeaffairs.gov.au)

In the first instance you need to obtain an exemption certificate to leave Australia.

Being married to a Thai there are no age restraints on staying in Thailand long term - but the procedure to get married and obtain a long term stay in Thailand are different topics.

One hurdle at a time.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

First step would be to apply for an exemption to leave Australia. Everything else is moot till you have done that. 
I have a friend who was granted permission to leave to visit his partner in the UK. Had to pay for his own quarantine upon return. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

My suggestion would be to arrange a Non Ed visa, to study at a language school. That should be sufficient to get out of Australia and into Thailand, as well as giving you 9-12 months stay in Thailand.

He could not get a non-ed visa for attending a informal school such as a language school at this time.

"1. Eligible Applicants for Non-ED Visa Category

This type of visa is issued to applicants who are students of educational establishments in Thailand approved by Thai authorities, including their parents or guardians, except for students of non-formal schools in accordance with laws on private schools or of any other similar private educational establishments;"

Source: https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-type-ed

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Swimfan said:

I have a friend who was granted permission to leave to visit his partner in the UK. Had to pay for his own quarantine upon return.

And who would you suggest pays for quarantine upon return?

The Australian taxpayer! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/17/2021 at 2:26 PM, Marcomilton7 said:

Am currently in Australia and wish to go to Thailand for a extended period.

To be honest, from my understanding of you getting here with the current situation is like tackling a ragging bull, I say that because I know a mate in Sydney, who's Thai wife with dual passports was not aloud to return to see her dying father, they wanted hospital letters translated to English, the hospital was in Isaan and if your not here, translation is a lot of trouble, especially if you ask Thai's to do it for you, I mean most wouldn't know where to start. They did try for 2 weeks and it couldn't be done in time, he passed, the thing I couldn't understand was, why she didn't try to get out of the country on her Thai passport, e.g. saying she was returning to her country, i.e. unless she allowed her Thai passport to lapse ?

On 4/17/2021 at 4:01 PM, Marcomilton7 said:

I hold both a uk & Australian passport 

If there could be some other reason where you could fly to the UK then onwards, although I don't know if that is feasible, e.g. whether you have to quarantine there before they allow you to connect with your flight to Thailand where you would have to quarantine.

These governments around the world have truly shown their true colours in controlling everyone, Australia especially should have no control if their Citizens wish to leave, as long as the traveller knows that they have to quarantine and pay for it when they return.

Got to feel for you and all the others who want out, some of us made it out many years before Covid ????

11 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

As off today you now have the option of flying to New Zealand as no exemption or quarantine is required. You could then fly onwards to Thailand from there. 

Valid point. 

Will be interesting to see how Au government deals with this obvious loophole.

17 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

As off today you now have the option of flying to New Zealand as no exemption or quarantine is required. You could then fly onwards to Thailand from there. 

Im pretty sure New Zealanders are also not allowed international travel, so there are probably no flights.

And I dont think Australia would allow it to be that easy.

If travel out on N.Z was even doable, i wouldnt be surprised if Australia have some agreement with N.Z immigration to not allow Aussies out on international flights.

Its absolutely wrong and i can't for the life of me fathom why Australians aren't kicking up a huge stink about it.

• Like 1

Just now, pookondee said:

Im pretty sure New Zealanders are also not allowed international travel, so there are probably no flights.

And I dont think Australia would allow it to be that easy.

If travel out on N.Z was even doable, i wouldnt be surprised if Australia have some agreement with N.Z immigration to not allow Aussies out on international flights.

Its absolutely wrong and i can't for the life of me fathom why Australians aren't kicking up a huge stink about it.

New Zealanders have been free to leave the country since the beginning of the pandemic. There is a strong do not travel warning but no official travel ban.

Mandatory quarantine upon return. 

29 minutes ago, pookondee said:

Its absolutely wrong and i can't for the life of me fathom why Australians aren't kicking up a huge stink about it

I'm Oz and I'm not kicking up a fuss. Australian new cases is very low.

The one month lockdown in Melb Au was when the daily numbers for that city reached almost 1000. Now they are zero or minimal. The situation in Melb was 100% due to returning citizens/residents.

Along with lax hotel quarantine.

Screenshot_20210418-165623.png

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm Oz and I'm not kicking up a fuss. Australian new cases is in single figures.

The one month lockdown in Melb Au was when the daily numbers for that city reached almost 1000. Now they are zero or minimal. The situation in Melb was 100% due to returning citizens/residents.

Along with lax hotel quarantine.

Out of interest Dr are you in Australia at present or in Melbourne during the lockdown.

With comments like that I very much doubt it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozfarang said:

Out of interest Dr are you in Australia at present or in Melbourne during the lockdown.

With comments like that I very much doubt it

Your point? I have extended family in Melb, where I was born. My 2 adult sons didn't complain about the lockdown. They have the intelligence to see it was for greater good. BTW both lost their jobs.

Google ...short term pain for long term gain.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Your point? I have extended family in Melb, where I was born. My 2 adult sons didn't complain about the lockdown. They have the intelligence to see it was for greater good. BTW both lost their jobs.

Google ...short term pain for long term gain.

Im not sure what the gain is by not letting citizens out of Australia?

Nor can i see how my leaving Australia is any Covid risk to Australia??

Myself (and probably many others on this board) lived long term in Thailand before Covid or rather before Australia demanded we come home to be locked up.

Id gladly sign an Affadavit to say im leaving and not coming back for 12months minimum, if Australian IMMs would let me fly out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pookondee said:

Id gladly sign an Affadavit to say im leaving and not coming back for 12months minimum, if Australian IMMs would let me fly out

There are MANY reports of Au citizens leaving Oz and arriving in Thailand.

The advice as to reason for travel is "long term holiday/stay" from reports seems to be best option.

The affidavit comment is surely a joke.