Reality observation in USA.

olfu

5 hours ago, pseudorabies said:

And not doing a very good job of it seeing how you are able to publicly call this out.

Another observation to add to the list - Ignorance is tolerated and often celebrated, to the point that people feel no shame about publicly spouting nonsense no matter how ridiculous and easily refuted.

You're proving your own point beautifully.

• Like 1

“The business of America is business!” This often repeated phrase was reported to be first said by President Calvin Coolidge, in a January 1925 speech to newspaper editors.

https://www.northeastern.edu/sei/2017/02/the-business-of-america-is-business/

Corporatocracy been the way in the USA every since

cor·po·ra·toc·ra·cy

/ˌkôrpərəˈtäkrəsē/

noun: corporatocracy; plural noun: corporatocracies

a society or system that is governed or controlled by corporations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

What gets me is these Evangelical Christians or simply active Christians on the far right which compose mainly of whites that according to Chris Hedges foster 'hate.' Their adherence to boot-licking, the corporate state, the police, and religion brings forth fascism as we see it today developing within the US.

The only solution is to bring people together from all classes and backgrounds to 'fight' against the upper classes and those who exploit the working class. One who realizes this and can acknowledge this is a true friend.

Edited by Solinvictus
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 1:41 PM, canthai55 said:

“The business of America is business!” This often repeated phrase was reported to be first said by President Calvin Coolidge, in a January 1925 speech to newspaper editors.

https://www.northeastern.edu/sei/2017/02/the-business-of-america-is-business/

Corporatocracy been the way in the USA every since

cor·po·ra·toc·ra·cy

/ˌkôrpərəˈtäkrəsē/

noun: corporatocracy; plural noun: corporatocracies

a society or system that is governed or controlled by corporations.

I currently am reading 'Democracy Incorporated.' by Sheldon Wolin. How excellent it is. Given your post, I recommend it.

• Like 1

America is always so much worse than casual foreign visitors realize.  Take this complaint from the OP:

Being innocent till proven guilty in court of law became a joke... 

In fact, as few Americans and even fewer foreigners realize, there are virtually no "courts of law" in the US.  Despite the image of Perry Mason trials with dramatic resolutions, 97% of criminal cases never received a trial.  Instead there is a plea bargain between the accused and the prosecutors.  This practice is behind the shocking incarceration rates in the US, because while a court trial has elaborate rules governing the behavior of prosecutors, defense attorneys, jurors, and others, enforced by a judge, there are virtually no rules governing the behaviors of prosecutors in pre-trial negotiations and no one to enforce any in any case.  So, the prosecutor is free to tack on additional charges on to the accused as part of "bargaining" even without evidence.  In the Anglo-Saxon adversarial system the prosecutor's only goal is to convict, not to find truth, which is the objective of the trial.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Solinvictus said:

What gets me is these Evangelical Christians or simply active Christians on the far right which compose mainly of whites that according to Chris Hedges foster 'hate.' Their adherence to boot-licking, the corporate state, the police, and religion brings forth fascism as we see it today developing within the US.

The only solution is to bring people together from all classes and backgrounds to 'fight' against the upper classes and those who exploit the working class. One who realizes this and can acknowledge this is a true friend.

Much of what right wing Christians (aka Christian Nationalists) adhere to comes from political tribalism.  Pro-corporation, anti-tax, anti-government, anti-environment, etc. is just part of the Republican party package deal.  Before Nixon's implementation of the southern strategy these so-called Christians were perfectly happy existing in the Democratic Party and with their platform.  It wasn't until the Democrats started supporting civil rights (which had been part of the Republican platform) that they started abandoning the party.  

For these Christians home is where the hate is.  And as they've shown over the last 50 years they are perfectly willing to act/vote against their own and their children's interests to live there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/17/2021 at 11:22 AM, pseudorabies said:

Much of what right wing Christians (aka Christian Nationalists) adhere to comes from political tribalism.  Pro-corporation, anti-tax, anti-government, anti-environment, etc. is just part of the Republican party package deal.  Before Nixon's implementation of the southern strategy these so-called Christians were perfectly happy existing in the Democratic Party and with their platform.  It wasn't until the Democrats started supporting civil rights (which had been part of the Republican platform) that they started abandoning the party.  

For these Christians home is where the hate is.  And as they've shown over the last 50 years they are perfectly willing to act/vote against their own and their children's interests to live there.

Hate in the US more often than not comes from the left.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

So in what counties does money not dominate all aspects of life? 

In nearly all countries it is far less dominating all aspects of life than it is in the USA.

32 minutes ago, stevenl said:

In nearly all countries it is far less dominating all aspects of life than it is in the USA.

I cant speak to countries I haven't worked in, but certainly not Thailand, Mexico, India, Malaysia or the Middle East.

Can you be more specific? 

You must be rich

23 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I cant speak to countries I haven't worked in, but certainly not Thailand, Mexico, India, Malaysia or the Middle East.

Can you be more specific? 

You must be rich

I am far from rich. But in Thailand money is far, far less dominating society than it is in the USA, it is far less the ultimate goal of people. One of the reasons I moved away from Europe, where it is still far lass than in the USA but has become more important as well, was that rush for gold, and I'm really happy with that decision, since IMO in Thailand it is far less.

Same goes for Malaysia, India, Mexico and as part of the Middle East Egypt. I can't speak for countries like UAE, not enough experience there.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 11:26 AM, stevenl said:

I am far from rich. But in Thailand money is far, far less dominating society than it is in the USA, it is far less the ultimate goal of people. One of the reasons I moved away from Europe, where it is still far lass than in the USA but has become more important as well, was that rush for gold, and I'm really happy with that decision, since IMO in Thailand it is far less.

Same goes for Malaysia, India, Mexico and as part of the Middle East Egypt. I can't speak for countries like UAE, not enough experience there.

That just has not been my experience.

What do you base your opinion on? I have managed and or consulted in manufacturing facilities in several US states as well as in Thailand, Mexico, India, Malaysia and the Middle East, and it has been my experience that virtually everyone, everywhere always wants more money. 

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

That just has not been my experience.

What do you base your opinion on? I have managed and or consulted in manufacturing facilities in several US states as well as in Thailand, Mexico, India, Malaysia and the Middle East, and it has been my experience that virtually everyone, everywhere always wants more money. 

"That just has not been my experience."

It is not so much experience, much more point of view.

People wanting more money is far from the same as dominating all aspects of life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

"That just has not been my experience."

It is not so much experience, much more point of view.

People wanting more money is far from the same as dominating all aspects of life.

So how would you define "...dominating all aspects of life."?

How long did you live in the US and where? People on the coasts are generally more money-centered than the interior of the country, but that's not really much different that comparing Bangkok to or rural areas of Thailand. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2021 at 5:17 PM, stevenl said:

Good point. Everyone wants higher pay. But it's how far one is willing to go. Forgo family life? Cut back social activity? Leisure? Does one measure self-worth in terms of one's annual pay packet and brand of car?

Edited by Why Me
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Good point. Everyone wants higher pay. But it's how far one is willing to go. Forgo family life? Cut back social activity? Leisure? Does one measure self-worth in terms of one's annual pay packet and brand of car?

Some people do, some people do not. People prioritize. I see a lot more people willing/wanting to work a lot of overtime in Thailand (and other countries) than I ever saw in the US.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Some people do, some people do not. People prioritize. I see a lot more people willing/wanting to work a lot of overtime in Thailand (and other countries) than I ever saw in the US.

I worked in the US and here both places many years. There's a heckuva a lot more dog eat dog in the US. I taught at a university in the US for a while before quitting to do my own thing. At school it was all about grant money, number of publications and citations. These are important I won't argue but the "all about" bothered  me. I saw how it made many miserable and some just plain corrupt.

The pace at Unis here is less hectic and more sociable. Sure the quality isn't comparable but, again that question, what are your priorities.

My mantra: Make your money in the US. Then move here and resume living. I did. Calculate the amount X you would need to live comfortably outside the US and the day you reach X fly out that night. Never look back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Why Me said:

I worked in the US and here both places many years. There's a heckuva a lot more dog eat dog in the US. I taught at a university in the US for a while before quitting to do my own thing. At school it was all about grant money, number of publications and citations. These are important I won't argue but the "all about" bothered  me. I saw how it made many miserable and some just plain corrupt.

The pace at Unis here is less hectic and more sociable. Sure the quality isn't comparable but, again that question, what are your priorities.

My mantra: Make your money in the US. Then move here and resume living. I did. Calculate the amount X you would need to live comfortably outside the US and the day you reach X fly out that night. Never look back.

I earned more money here than I ever made in the US. 

Again, I found people here much more willing to work heavy overtime than people in the US.