The moment of death: Motorcyclist killed as car goes through red light in Suphanburi

webfact

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Many do.  I was told when I lived in Udon Thani, that when the light turned green to count 1001, 1002, 1003 and then go.  When I did that a few times at the intersections running through the main road, I was amazed at how many accidents occurred from cars hitting cars that had run through the yellow and red, and then the cars jumping forward at the first hint of green.  Not saying they were in the wrong, but knowing its a problem you would think the traffic enforcement police would be out there at these intersections.  

The what? Remember where you are.

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The what? Remember where you are.

Well they are suppose to enforce all traffic laws but they are selective, Yes of course you are correct.  I have even watched a Motorbike officer run a red light and get clipped.  He claimed he had his red lights on, but the good citizens that witnessed it happen wouldn't have none of his FACE saving lies.  It is why my Car has a DVR recorder for the front and rear cameras, and why my MC has a fixed camera upon it front and rear as well as my helmet cam.  Gotta protect myself 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Confuscious said:
4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Not wanting to wait another 2-3 seconds as the lights change cost him his life. Just incredible. I've very often wondered what it is with Thais, supposedly a laid back race, who are at the same time so impatient, drive as fast as they can instead of as fast as is safe, fight like wild dogs with maximum violence. Very strange.

Why should the motorcycle driver wait another 2-3 seconds???

The driver of the car jumped a RED light and he should not be allowed to drive a car for the rest of his life.

Only then, drivers will start to think jumping a red light.

What a bizarre question. Why? Because if he doesn't he might be killed by a driver who jumps the lights. People do that thousands of times a day throughout the country with impunity. That's why. How do you drive? Go the second the light turns green without checking if it's safe? Do you? No, you use common sense and check first. Which is what the deceased obviously didn't do. Just in his own little bubble. And of course he isn't unique. That's how many Thais drive, unaware of other road users. You know that's true.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maitdjai said:

Again, a lot of 

"smart a$$, super expert"

comments...

"No Helmet, wait and count, and my experince... BS"

The car did the red light fast, and hit the bike driver...Time for severe punishment.

Period! 

Again, the victim didn't check it was safe to progress. If he had, he would still be alive. Don't you check it's safe to move off when the light goes green, or do you blindly go forward without checking it's safe to do so? I know what your answer will be - 'yes I do check', and you're alive. The victim didn't and he's dead. Simple as that.

And of course the car driver should be punished. Has anyone written that he shouldn't?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Red light jumping is at epidemic proportions here, which is why you must look left and right when proceeding across intersections. 

I am not using this as an excuse, but I'm sure the main reason that so many traffic run the red light, particularly where a junction is not busy as in the picture, is because they know that if they stop, there is a long time to wait before the lights turn to green again.

Edited by possum1931

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Quite possibly, the car driver will be claiming the scooter driver contributed to his death by not wearing a helmet.

I am unable to understand why Thais drive so fast on the roads, yet walk so slowly on golf courses.

There are also many Thai drivers who drive far too slow which can also cause accidents.

13 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And he couldn't wait 2-3 seconds to check it was safe, Just drove straight ahead without looking. If we know never to do that, surely a local does.

Most Thais just do not have the same common sense as people from western countries, and that does not apply just when they are driving or riding. 

I also blame these lights that have the countdown ! Those timers tell them, and they will always go on "3" not waiting for thd green as they know and have learned there is a 3 delay from one direction to the other. That 3 makes an allowance for those too close to stop safely when the lights change.Better to NOT have those counters and then they have to wait for the green and not prempt it.

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

I also blame these lights that have the countdown ! Those timers tell them, and they will always go on "3" not waiting for thd green as they know and have learned there is a 3 delay from one direction to the other. That 3 makes an allowance for those too close to stop safely when the lights change.Better to NOT have those counters and then they have to wait for the green and not prempt it.

Yes. You are right, watching how all the motorbikes jump out and try to beat all of the cars into the intersection is a great joy to watch at every light.

17 hours ago, RobU said:

the article clearly states that the motorcyclist did not 'jump' the lights he correctly moved forward when the green light was displayed the article also clearly states that the car driver jumped a red light

The motor cyclist can be seen in the wrong lane (see hatched lines). He jumped the lights also by undertaking the car in the 'ahead' lane. Both at fault.

On 4/19/2021 at 9:59 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

What a bizarre question. Why? Because if he doesn't he might be killed by a driver who jumps the lights. People do that thousands of times a day throughout the country with impunity. That's why. How do you drive? Go the second the light turns green without checking if it's safe? Do you? No, you use common sense and check first. Which is what the deceased obviously didn't do. Just in his own little bubble. And of course he isn't unique. That's how many Thais drive, unaware of other road users. You know that's true.

How long do you want this "Cat & Mouse" game to go on?
Killing every year tens of thousands people and disabling mant others for life?

Driver "A" neds to wait 5 seconds at the green light because some dumb drivers like to jump trough a red light.
Of course, the drivers in the lane of driver "A" will jump the red light too and cause the drivers on lane "B" to wait 5 seconds at the green light.
Ther drivers at the lane of driver "B" will want to get their 5 seconds back and will jump trough a red light.

And the story keeps going on.

NO!!!!!!

Jumping a red light should be punished with the annihilation of the drivers license FOR LIFE!!!!!

A camera at the crossing cost peanuts and it's very easy to take a photograph of all these red light jumpers.

There is NO EXCUSE to let people die because Mister Thai Red Light Jumper thinks he is above the law.

Next one who die at a red light because of one of these nutts can be you or your family.

Edited by Confuscious
Cat

52 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

How long do you want this "Cat & Mouse" game to go on?
Killing every year tens of thousands people and disabling mant others for life?

Driver "A" neds to wait 5 seconds at the green light because some dumb drivers like to jump trough a red light.
Of course, the drivers in the lane of driver "A" will jump the red light too and cause the drivers on lane "B" to wait 5 seconds at the green light.
Ther drivers at the lane of driver "B" will want to get their 5 seconds back and will jump trough a red light.

And the story keeps going on.

NO!!!!!!

Jumping a red light should be punished with the annihilation of the drivers license FOR LIFE!!!!!

A camera at the crossing cost peanuts and it's very easy to take a photograph of all these red light jumpers.

There is NO EXCUSE to let people die because Mister Thai Red Light Jumper thinks he is above the law.

Next one who die at a red light because of one of these nutts can be you or your family.

Agree with all you say, but this is Thailand where there is next to no law enforcement. Writing what should happen is utterly pointless. We all know what should happen, but that isn't the way Thailand works. What needs to happen, because of the appalling driving habits and the fact that there are no police patrols, is for every driver to drive with great caution at all times. If they don't then they are just plain stupid because they run the risk of being killed. Setting off the moment a light turns green, or often even in anticipation of it turning green, is risky anywhere, but especially in Thailand. And to do it without even bothering to look to see if it is safe is suicidal.

On 4/20/2021 at 7:01 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Again, the victim didn't check it was safe to progress. If he had, he would still be alive. Don't you check it's safe to move off when the light goes green, or do you blindly go forward without checking it's safe to do so? I know what your answer will be - 'yes I do check', and you're alive. The victim didn't and he's dead. Simple as that.

And of course the car driver should be punished. Has anyone written that he shouldn't?

So the red or green light seems to be obsolete, then? You're right in way! With your recommendation I don't have to wait for a green light, I just go...(cautious). 

Exactly that is, what many of them thinking...

Victim blaming, might be the defense of the car driver too.

"The poor chab with his $hit bike did not see me coming along in a hurry (Shopping-Mall-Emergency)...Do you know, who my father is?" Lol.

BTW, how the Experts "know", that the bike driver was starting to go, too quickly?

1 hour ago, Maitdjai said:

BTW, how the Experts "know", that the bike driver was starting to go, too quickly?

Because he didn't wait to check that it was safe to proceed? That's how. That's the priority. We've all seen motorcyclists do it. It happens 1000 times a day across the country. They anticipate the green and off they go, often before the light has actually changed. They risk their life to save three seconds. Madness.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 10:10 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Because he didn't wait to check that it was safe to proceed? That's how. That's the priority. We've all seen motorcyclists do it. It happens 1000 times a day across the country. They anticipate the green and off they go, often before the light has actually changed. They risk their life to save three seconds. Madness.

You can say "again", as much as you like! When I've a green light, I can go, and the law is on my side! It doesn't mean, that I don't look around.
Is it this difficult to understand?
I don't have to count "with my fingers" (until it's "red" again?), or wearing a helmet, when I go to the restroom...
Because, so many complaining "Safety Expert" Farang say so, and that Thailand is such a dangerous country...Lol 
Thank you...

• Confused 1