Hardest thing to teach a Thai Pratom student

Hi I am trying to determine what are the areas that Thai pratom kids need the most help with.

I know paying attention not fighting and actually caring about it are issues.

What I am looking for is suggestions on where they seem to have the most trouble.  

So far I have reading and thinking.

I also know that in Thailand the question Why even if asked in Thai is an issue.

• Like 1

If you can explain the history of the world and what social, economic  and technological development looks like in a first world country and open their minds to a wider world than they now know, you will be doing them an immense service. 

Open their eyes to the world beyond Thailand, that is where you have the advantage over Thai teachers and where you can make the most positive impact.  You can wrap your English lessons around  that framework. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

If you can explain the history of the world and what social, economic  and technological development looks like in a first world country and open their minds to a wider world than they now know, you will be doing them an immense service. 

Open their eyes to the world beyond Thailand, that is where you have the advantage over Thai teachers and where you can make the most positive impact.  You can wrap your English lessons around  that framework. 

I do this with my Matayom and university kids.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kurtf said:

When I taught at the local grammar school, the hardest thing for Thai kids to do was correct pronunciation of any word with "th" in it. Three, those, this, them, etc.

Still is I spend weeks on just that and sh.

To think independently and not just copy from someone else. I occasionally had to give written tests to Prathom 3 kids and would be frustrated when the same wrong answer would appear over and over again. This attitude would then persevere into adulthood. Teaching an "Advanced" (!) English class at an open University it was clear early on that there was a marked difference in standard, so I decided to give them a test to assess their level, emphasising that this was purely so that  I could put them in groups of either similar or mixed ability as necessary during the course. What happened? A student of English at the University got 95%, the two either side of him about 90%. This was followed  by another group sitting together, who each got around 70%, and so it went on, the marks being determined by whom you were sitting next to rather than your ability, just like the 9-year-olds. If this habit could be eradicated at an early age it would be of benefit to all.

16 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Pratom

Sorry, no reverse transcription results were found for any part of your search text.

Be nice if you explain what "Pratom" means in English. ????

If you don't know what "Pratom" means, why are you stalking the "Teaching in Thailand" thread?

4 minutes ago, puchooay said:

If you don't know what "Pratom" means, why are you stalking the "Teaching in Thailand" thread?

Now now play nice with other students Puchooay.  Remember that we all ask questions at some time that others think funny.  

Play nice or teacher will have to put you in the corner.

article-2686853-1F86AF0300000578-59_306x423.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Now now play nice with other students Puchooay.  Remember that we all ask questions at some time that others think funny.  

Play nice or teacher will have to put you in the corner.

article-2686853-1F86AF0300000578-59_306x423.jpg

Not the worst answer you received.????????????.

With the idea in mind that the kids will likely have limited English, suggestions of teaching them world knowledge, ignorance of others and the likes were quite funny.

Basically, I think you should do your best to show them that English can be fun. I'm not talking about walking around the classroom like a clown or endless games and songs but just interaction. Get them involved. I used to like to move the tables and chairs to the side of the classroom in order to remove barriers between me and them. Get them to move around the classroom with commands in English. Throw some funnies in there to make them laugh. 

Edited by puchooay

18 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Not the worst answer you received.????????????.

With the idea in mind that the kids will likely have limited English, suggestions of teaching them world knowledge, ignorance of others and the likes were quite funny.

Basically, I think you should do your best to show them that English can be fun. I'm not talking about walking around the classroom like a clown or endless games and songs but just interaction. Get them involved. I used to like to move the tables and chairs to the side of the classroom in order to remove barriers between me and them. Get them to move around the classroom with commands in English. Throw some funnies in there to make them laugh. 

I was asked once what my teaching style was 

my answer was 

Loud Think Good Morning Vietnam to start a class

Un predictable

Excited about what I was teaching ( Tony Robbins et al)

Engaging 

Fun like Red Skelton (yes I am aging myself)

4 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

I was asked once what my teaching style was 

my answer was 

Loud Think Good Morning Vietnam to start a class

Un predictable

Excited about what I was teaching ( Tony Robbins et al)

Engaging 

Fun like Red Skelton (yes I am aging myself)

In that case, you should have no issues. Go for it.

Only on word of advice, let the students know that there is a line that must not be crossed. You wouldn't want a class full of hypo 7 year olds not knowing when to stop.

Just now, puchooay said:

In that case, you should have no issues. Go for it.

Only on word of advice, let the students know that there is a line that must not be crossed. You wouldn't want a class full of hypo 7 year olds not knowing when to stop.

I let them find that out the HARD WAY LOL

Then I give them a choice  Happy teacher or angry teacher lol