Does vaccination for rabies help protect you against Covid?

PEE TEE

I am 73 . Not the brightest light in the box . A while back i got a dog bite on a beach walk .  23rd April i have my last rabies jab number 5 at 800thb a go. i googled does rabies vaccine protect you from other viruses. and found a surprising answer . can someone check this and let me know if i read it wrong coravax is the vaccine  

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

I am 73 . Not the brightest light in the box . A while back i got a dog bite on a beach walk .  23rd April i have my last rabies jab number 5 at 800thb a go. i googled does rabies vaccine protect you from other viruses. and found a surprising answer . can someone check this and let me know if i read it wrong coravax is the vaccine  

You didn't read wrong, it seems Coravax was studied in some (yet to be peer reviewed) pre-clinical trials in hamsters and it worked well against SARS-CoV-2. However, unless you're a hamster (I'm assuming not, otherwise you're a very sentient rodent), the research is in early stages and hasn't progressed to human trials so may not have the same effect.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.19.427373v1.full

https://www.precisionvaccinations.com/vaccines/coravax-covid-19-vaccine

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DJBenz said:

You didn't read wrong, it seems Coravax was studied in some (yet to be peer reviewed) pre-clinical trials in hamsters and it worked well against SARS-CoV-2. However, unless you're a hamster (I'm assuming not, otherwise you're a very sentient rodent), the research is in early stages and hasn't progressed to human trials so may not have the same effect.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.19.427373v1.full

https://www.precisionvaccinations.com/vaccines/coravax-covid-19-vaccine

Thank you for the reply

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Coravax uses a rabies vaccine as its base. It’s then genetically altered so that it has a spike protein found in the sars-cov2 virus. Your body subsequently creates antibodies against this spike and recognizes the spike in a future infection with sars-cov2. 
It’s similar how Astra Zeneca and Johnson & Johnson use an adenovirus (albeit not inactivated, but harmless to humans) as a base. 

The vaccine you had against rabies is not altered in any way for your body to create antibodies against sars-cov2 and thus gives you no protection against that virus or any other apart from rabies. 

Thank you

3 hours ago, DJBenz said:

You didn't read wrong, it seems Coravax was studied in some (yet to be peer reviewed) pre-clinical trials

But coravax is not the rabies vaccine.  He seems to have read that part wrong.  It is based on the rabies vector, but altered specifically for covid.  Any previous rabies vaccination will do nothing to protect against covid.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

But coravax is not the rabies vaccine.  He seems to have read that part wrong.  It is based on the rabies vector, but altered specifically for covid.  Any previous rabies vaccination will do nothing to protect against covid.

Yes, seems some crossed wires there. Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

any vax will boost your immune system.

Because it's unknown when any covid vax will be available to foreigners, you can talk to doctor (the best in any travel clinic) about any other vax. That also to prevent co-infection.

In february I did MMR, booster for a vax from childhood, but I might take yet another one in a year.  

A few days ago I did flu and prevnar 13 (pneumonia).

In about month or two also zostavax and hepatitis A.

A few years back I had tuberculosis and denvaxia (for dengue) - I might take denvaxia booster sometimes this or next year. 

they are all pretty safe and cheap (in comparison to the other countries)