Thai teacher's SHOCK in Oz! Explains his experiences down under are not a bit like Thai schools!

webfact

18 hours ago, JohnHans said:

Simply compare Thailand's schools to schools in Vietnam, You don't need to go so far to understand Thai's attitude to many things are very dumb.

Just one example, I've taught executive MBA programs in Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi for many years. The students are all Vietnamese (exch/foreign students welcome but very rare).

They all speak perfect English. Always polite and respectful to the other students and the lecturer, always come to lectures/discussions/team project sessions on time and they all contribute and everybody is respected.

But more to the point they are well informed and well balance people, capable of complex/insightful discussion about business, civil society and world affairs and they can readily / have no hesitation to explain their comments in depth. Impressive.

(One major big Thai investor in VN has become so impressed with it's local staff in VN (leadership / management /  technical / engineering / marketing / operational staff, at all levels), they have brought them to Bkk to lead / manage / contribute technically to several business units.) 

I was invited by the same company to a major annual internal seminar /management review a couple of years back in Bkk, conducted in English. The VN managers and experts (and some from other countries) were impressive and made several valuable comments and proposals, most of which were implemented within the following several months. 

• Like 2

On 4/22/2021 at 8:18 AM, scorecard said:

And if, as you say and if it's true that the teachers are teaching the kids left wing stuff then please share if there's any right wing influences at work? 

Sorry but the content of your post is too left wing oriented, no balance.

And by the way is it not true that there are causes that come under 'left wing' that do need urgent attention in Australia?

Response 1 -  The newer teachers are teaching left wing stuff because that was what they were taught!

The teachers with right wing views are in the minority..  the Teachers Union has a very strong

influence over its members.

Response 2 -  It's left wing orientated because it's directly related to the topic...  an Aussie teacher.

Response 3 -  Yes, there are causes that come under 'left wing' in Australia that need urgent attention.  The urgent                              attention required is to scale them back!  Climate change alarmists scaring the cr_p  out of children

as well as 'coal hating' politicians wanting to ban coalmines and put thousands of people out of                                    work....   they're just a couple of left wing 'causes' that need urgent attention!

You obviously only watch (or listen) to the ABC.                       

39 minutes ago, bangkok19 said:

Response 1 -  The newer teachers are teaching left wing stuff because that was what they were taught!

The teachers with right wing views are in the minority..  the Teachers Union has a very strong

Response 2 -  It's left wing orientated because it's directly related to the topic...  an Aussie teacher.

Response 3 -  Yes, there are causes that come under 'left wing' in Australia that need urgent attention.  The urgent                              attention required is to scale them back!  Climate change alarmists scaring the cr_p  out of children

as well as 'coal hating' politicians wanting to ban coalmines and put thousands of people out of                                    work....   they're just a couple of left wing 'causes' that need urgent attention!

Lots of good points except your last small paragraph. A big assumption on your part and incorrect.

I grew up learning (from my parents, local society, observing the comments in several local/national newspapers, on radio, way before the internet or TV) to seek/listen to comment from a variety of sources and keep in mind that every news comment is written by a person and every person has personal biases.

I've encouraged my Thai (now a professional adult) son to do the same and he does. Many times I've heard him talking/discussing with his buddies, cousins, aunts/uncles etc., and I'm proud of how he pushes other to seek full details etc., remember that comments are biased, and take a balanced view.

My son has kids, oldest now 16, she's picking things up at school from her Thai and farang teachers and she reads a lot. She knows she can discuss anything with her father/mother/me. For quite a while she's been asking questions about human rights and about democracy. 

Especially from her father she gets the approach of read and listen to many points of view and then form your own opinion, but come and talk to me anytime if you don't understand things.

On one occasion, months back her father said 'I have my biases... .'

Her response was 'yes I know that, you lean more towards ....'.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 5:20 PM, CM Dad said:

Yes, you are correct about the UK system.  However, you failed to mention that many of the issues regarding Thai schools have been directly copied from the British system.  If you are a product of that archaic system then perhaps that explains your poorly written comment.

You mean that UK system that leads  onto  Universities such as Cambridge, Oxford  ranked  in the top 10  in the world.............just  like Thai universities???? that system right.

On 4/21/2021 at 11:20 AM, CM Dad said:

Yes, you are correct about the UK system.  However, you failed to mention that many of the issues regarding Thai schools have been directly copied from the British system.  If you are a product of that archaic system then perhaps that explains your poorly written comment.

What as been copied directly from the "UK" system? (there is no such thing as a UK system - BTW)

16 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

This is possibly the most ill-informed, prejudiced and facile post on the whole thread. It shows absolutely no knowledge of education whatsoever just a schoolboy perception of the world in black and white.

Just now, kwilco said:

Clearly this chap didn't pay attention at school or after.....this is possibly the most ill-informed, prejudiced and facile post on the whole thread. It shows absolutely no knowledge of education whatsoever just a schoolboy perception of the world in black and white.

On 4/20/2021 at 11:09 PM, JingerBen said:

An experience teaching at an inner-city school in the US would have made SHOCK in Oz! look like a Sunday school picnic.

In Lean on Me compare the school at the beginning of the movie, where the problem was students sticking chewing gum to the underside of the desks, to the school he transfers to.