Rear hub / casette size

StreetCowboy

I am thinking about buying a spare wheel.  Will I be able to buy a wheel that will accept a Shimano 105 11 speed casette and also accept a Shimano Deore 9 speed casette? 

I’ve just suffered another broken spoke on the shopping bike, so I’d like to get the wheel entirely respoked. But I don’t want to be bikeless for that length of time, and I need to cycle down to pick up the rear shifter I need for the road bike... so the quick answer would be to replace the shopping bike wheel and have it rebuilt at leisure, but that is only economically viable if the rebuilt wheel could cover both bikes... I’d need to buy a cassette whip as well ...

38 minutes ago, bobfish said:

Buy a wheel with 11sp hub. For 9sp, use a 1.85mm spacer. 

Exactly the advice I was looking for!

Once I get the casette whip, I will be able to swap the spare wheel (plus spacer  if necessary) (plus cassette removed from the afflicted bike) and get the bike back on the road whatever the spoke damage, rim damage, or even hub damage...

When I had a slightly similar problem with the front wheel, I simply transplanted the wheel off my mountain bike, but that is not so straightforward with the rear wheel and all its cogs.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Hardly worth re-spoking an entire wheel, plenty of perfectly good s/h wheels available for 1,000bht.

It depends on your money - troublesomeness balance point.
If you have money, spending it is easy.  If you don't, searching round is not so difficult.

The point of respoking the entire wheel would be to change the failure rate for that wheel from one spoke per year (current approximate failure rate for shopping bike rear wheel) to less than one spoke in eight years (equivalent for the aggregate of road bike and mountain bike rear wheels).  Per kilometre, the shopping bike performs worse than 1 in 1.000 km, compared to better than 1 in 30,000 km for the other bikes aggregated.

• Haha 1

On 4/21/2021 at 10:28 PM, StreetCowboy said:

It depends on your money - troublesomeness balance point.
If you have money, spending it is easy.  If you don't, searching round is not so difficult.

The point of respoking the entire wheel would be to change the failure rate for that wheel from one spoke per year (current approximate failure rate for shopping bike rear wheel) to less than one spoke in eight years (equivalent for the aggregate of road bike and mountain bike rear wheels).  Per kilometre, the shopping bike performs worse than 1 in 1.000 km, compared to better than 1 in 30,000 km for the other bikes aggregated.

If you're rebuilding a wheel because of broken spokes, the usual practice is to replace the rim in addition to the spokes. The theory is that the broken spokes stressed the rim. Getting the wheel perfectly true while using the old rim might be very difficult and you risk breaking the new spokes.