Thailand Lays Out Bold EV Plan, Wants All Electric Cars by 2035

webfact

43 minutes ago, doctormann said:

Absolutely!   As an ex nuclear instrumentation design engineer I think that I can confirm that the 'mai bpen rai' Thai mind set would not sit easily with the rigorous safety standards required on a nuclear plant.

However, all these electric cars are not going to pluck their power out of thin air.  It's not just a question of providing enough charging points, it's more fundamental than that.  The power has to be generated somehow and I think that the current infrastructure is going to need a serious upgrade.  It hardly seems to cope now!

I see some more cables in the air; and more dirty coal from indonesia, ughugh

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Market is small with EVs making up less than 1% of vehicles

Gee why is this?

Maybe because EVs are way way less practical or functional than cars that run on gas....

If EVs were so great everyone would want one but people do not want them even at a cheap price..... 

This guy sees your point too

Burying your head in the sand? You're feeling guilty | Head in the sand,  Bury, Sand quotes

• Haha 2

Elsewhere in the world the big companies are investing in green hydrogen production. A 8GW renewables power station used to produce hydrogen from water is on the books for Western Australia, Saudi looking at 5billion dollar 4GW renewables hydrogen plant. Chevron and Toyota form an alliance for hydrogen cars in US. BP looking at North Sea hydrogen using renewables. So Thailand is jumping on the EV bandwagon.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Public transport should be required for 95% of the population, then it would be easier to achieve the EV goal. 

Oh yeah, Skateboards here we come, I will be hanging ten from the back of a Songthaew going down the road, and playing crack the whip.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rhacsyn said:

Hi

I think people in Norway and Sweden might not totally agree with you. Electric cars (including hybrids) already make up over 50% of market share in both countries....

Jeepers and what a massive  population they have 15million for  both.

3 hours ago, Rhacsyn said:

Hi

I think people in Norway and Sweden might not totally agree with you. Electric cars (including hybrids) already make up over 50% of market share in both countries....

Small population, rich, and the cars were subsidised. When subsidies are removed, the market in eV cars collapses. Denmark sales of ev's crashed 80% in 2017, or maybe 2016,when subsidies were removed. Thailand will never offer subsidies on cars. Its a third world country. 

2 hours ago, Litlos said:

Elsewhere in the world the big companies are investing in green hydrogen production. A 8GW renewables power station used to produce hydrogen from water is on the books for Western Australia, Saudi looking at 5billion dollar 4GW renewables hydrogen plant. Chevron and Toyota form an alliance for hydrogen cars in US. BP looking at North Sea hydrogen using renewables. So Thailand is jumping on the EV bandwagon.

Cheers

These big companies don't seem to be that enthusiastic when it comes to building infrastructure for hydrogen vehicles. In the UK in 2007 there were 4 filling stations. Now there are just 14 and 6 of those are inside the M25.

If I had a HFCEV I would be able to use it for about 100 miles per fill - the rest of the fuel being used to get to and from the filling station (100miles each way).

I read that the US has (at June 2020) 39 filling stations, so not much enthusiasm there either.

In the current phase, hydrogen stands no chance - it is the Betamax in the game. Electric cars are easier to sell and have visible filling points now. Such a shame as hydrogen has far greater possibilities. Its time will come.

Thailand needs to first work out it’s renewable energy plan before making such a bold step into EVs. If the cars need to be charged  by coal or gas fired power, this is not going to improve emissions to maintain the country compliant with the Paris agreement.

I am an EV owner (self converted) and I can say they are wonderful to own. For the country to progress the sector coupling of transport and power has to be aligned. Hydrogen is unsuitable for cars as it will cost 3.5x more to refuel them compared to EVs. Heavy transport is a different matter.

Edited by Tradewind777
Missing word
  • Like 1

These "forward thinking" government official worldwide fail to grasp significant bumps in the road to a world with "all electric vehicles.

Firstly, how will they produce enough affordable electricity to power a world of electric vehicles without using fossil fuels (natural gas, coal, etc)?  Solar?  Wind?  Hydroelectric? Nuclear? The generation capacity of the world will be strained to the breaking point in an attempt to "fuel" all those vehicles via electricity, at least until "fusion power" comes of age and is used for commercial production of electricity, but that is two or three decades away.
Secondly, the price of all electric vehicles and well as the sky-rocketing price of electricity once this all EV plan is enforced (which if electric vehicles are the only vehicles on the road will create extremely high electric demand $$$$$), the average person (those in the world who make wages similar to the average Thai) won't be driving.  Driving becomes the purvey of the rich and wealthy.  And I expect that's the plan.  Take the capabilities to drive and make them unaffordable for the masses.  Read the Agenda 2030 (the push for Electric Vehicles is part and parcel of the plan) and the Global Cities Initiative and that's pretty much the majority of governments are planning for the plebs. Maybe Ox carts will make a come-back.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tradewind777 said:

Thailand needs to first work out it’s renewable energy plan before making such a bold step into EVs. If the cars need to be charged  by coal or gas fired power, this is not going to improve emissions to maintain the country compliant with the Paris agreement.

I am an EV owner (self converted) and I can say they are wonderful to own. For the country to progress the sector coupling of transport and power has to be aligned. Hydrogen is unsuitable for cars as it will cost 3.5x more to refuel them compared to EVs. Heavy transport is a different matter.

They're working on it.

Thailand close to completing massive floating solar farm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1