Thailand Lays Out Bold EV Plan, Wants All Electric Cars by 2035

webfact

On 4/23/2021 at 9:32 AM, bluesofa said:

Plus the cars will drive slower in the US - they're only on 110v.

But our electrons are twice as big. 

If I had to have an EV, at least I have 240 Volt, 300 Amp service at my house.  I have a 100 Amp panel in my garage alone.

16 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Because no other nation has figured out how condo owners can charge their EVs. 

Just crawl under the car next you and attach some jumper cables.  Just like siphoning gas back in the day before locked gas caps.

• Haha 1

On 4/23/2021 at 5:33 AM, redwood1 said:

If EVs were so great everyone would want one but people do not want them even at a cheap price..... 

...What electric automobiles are currently sold in Thailand and at what price?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

Impossible! They don't make enough noise. They would have to install very powerful IC engine sound systems and loud speakers. eMotorbikes entirely out of the question, of course.

There was an article recently where it was stated that Thai authorities said electric vehicles would have to have noise makers.  I swear!  I've wanted to make a miniature electric mocy with a huge, loud sound system that sounds like a Harley or a moto GP bike.  Just for laughs.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

Impossible! They don't make enough noise. They would have to install very powerful IC engine sound systems and loud speakers. eMotorbikes entirely out of the question, of course.

What about the 'black smoke' that pours outa the pickups that accelerate like fury from the fire daeng?

The one's that have obligatory Liqui Moly sticker on...

Ah, isn't central planning great? I believe Hybrid would be best for the Thais that can afford them and most cannot. Thailand doesn't (and probably won't) have enough infrastructure to support EVs (grid capacity, charging stations and wealth to pay for it all for the general public).

Honda advertised a hybrid motorbike back in 2017 but I'm sure the price would be out of reach for most Thais. All-electric motorbikes likewise and the 'range issue' would be a show-stopper (not to mention they are too quiet, as I've already mentioned). Too many Thais like loud and need cheap which means hydrocarbon, IC motorbikes for a long time into the future for Thailand, IMO.

5 hours ago, katana said:

Thailand actually has a small research reactor in Bangkok which has been running since the early 1960s.

That may be so but a small research reactor (2MW at Kasetsart Uni in Bangkok) is a very different animal to a power reactor.   Production pressures in power plants tend to lead to shortcuts being taken and this is where the danger lies.  Hopefully, the research reactor, which has been running since 1962 and is used for isotope production, is staffed by professionals who know what they are doing. 

The new, large research reactor in Nakhon Nayak is on hold and has been for ten years.  Half of the original 5 billion Baht budget has been spent.  What happened to the rest?  Your guess is as good as mine!

Link: <https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1946404/nuclear-reactor-saga-rumbles-on>

On 4/23/2021 at 10:26 AM, Excel said:

Good idea but basically it won't happen by 2035.  Whilst many orld car manufacturers ar developing electric vehicles  with many on sale now, Thailand will lag far behind not only in its EV manufacturing  facilities but also in R & D.  ( Well you  only have to look at the Fortuna to now that is a fact) .

What issues are their with the Fortuner...... A vehicle designed in Japan by Mr. Yoshiki Konish.