Which has the strongest chassis, a current Ranger or a current Hilux?

alacrity

The below company would have something to say about the reliability of modified Ford Rangers...   That's their biggest business here in Thailand.   I know the CEO, incredibly nice guy.  I love my 2016 4x4 XLT Manual Trans...   only 110km on the clock, but literally nothing other than oil and a faulty intercooler to throttle body pipe has ever gone into it.  Completely trouble-free vehicle otherwise thus far.

https://www.rmagroup.net/automotive/

"RMA Automotive, headquartered in Thailand, partners with OEMs, particularly those with production facilities in Thailand, where some 75% of the world’s one ton pickups are now built. RMA Automotive also has facilities in Australia, South Africa, Turkey, Myanmar and UAE. We are the first Ford Motor Company “Qualified Vehicle Modifier” (QVM) program participant in the Asia-Pacific and Africa regions."

image.png.cc9b323768b237759f5bffd216d77c57.png

3 hours ago, n8sail said:

The below company would have something to say about the reliability of modified Ford Rangers...   That's their biggest business here in Thailand.   I know the CEO, incredibly nice guy.  I love my 2016 4x4 XLT Manual Trans...   only 110km on the clock, but literally nothing other than oil and a faulty intercooler to throttle body pipe has ever gone into it.  Completely trouble-free vehicle otherwise thus far.

https://www.rmagroup.net/automotive/

"RMA Automotive, headquartered in Thailand, partners with OEMs, particularly those with production facilities in Thailand, where some 75% of the world’s one ton pickups are now built. RMA Automotive also has facilities in Australia, South Africa, Turkey, Myanmar and UAE. We are the first Ford Motor Company “Qualified Vehicle Modifier” (QVM) program participant in the Asia-Pacific and Africa regions."

image.png.cc9b323768b237759f5bffd216d77c57.png

My intercooler hose split earlier this year too. Wondered what the noise was for a few days. Ford fixed it, just paid labor.

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Citation needed.

Citation needed.

And, citation needed.

Thanks for playing.

For the OP, as a true blue (oval) Ford fan, I can thoroughly recommend the Toyota Tiger, early 2000 model.

tt2003.jpg.429828aa0d41394a72e2ff7c8521d7a6.jpg

That's kind of the style I'm looking for. Early days in Thailand, used to drive Sport Riders. Since then styling went downhill IMO. Hate to drive anything I don't like the looks of.

Thought the Hilux Revo chassis could have been a good fit because of the motor I want to use. Problem is the body style would be hard to live with and fitting a body I like is extra work for negation.

Appreciate all responses, which have been a helpful aid in my decision making. I've decided to go with a Ford as the donor.

A 2015, 3.2 Wildtrack. It's a Thailand truck that I have most knowledge of and have a reference standard in my present truck.

Thanks again.

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Citation needed.

Citation needed.

And, citation needed.

Thanks for playing.

For the OP, as a true blue (oval) Ford fan, I can thoroughly recommend the Toyota Tiger, early 2000 model.

tt2003.jpg.429828aa0d41394a72e2ff7c8521d7a6.jpg

Is that your truck Nice! Any problems with the cops and the lift kit? There is one like it in my village. Need a step ladder to get into it lol

13 hours ago, alacrity said:

My intercooler hose split earlier this year too. Wondered what the noise was for a few days. Ford fixed it, just paid labor.

Yes, strange noise, I was really scared it was the turbo going...  which seemed unlikely, but still.  I read later that it is very important to change this as you can over-spool the turbo and actually cause serious damage to it if this hose breaks completely.

Ford puts a reinforcement 'net' over that section of hose, so you couldn't actually see the split.   Brought mine to the local Ford expert rather than dealer as the Rayong dealer is wildly expensive and slow.  He went to Ford, got the hose, and put it on for 900 baht, in about 30 minutes.   At Ford, I would never have been able to even see the problem, they won't let you into the garage area and it would easily have taken a few hours ????

Good luck with your transplant project.  Sounds like a lot of fun...   hopefully you have a garage with A/C to work in!  ????

10 hours ago, n8sail said:

Yes, strange noise, I was really scared it was the turbo going...  which seemed unlikely, but still.  I read later that it is very important to change this as you can over-spool the turbo and actually cause serious damage to it if this hose breaks completely.

Ford puts a reinforcement 'net' over that section of hose, so you couldn't actually see the split.   Brought mine to the local Ford expert rather than dealer as the Rayong dealer is wildly expensive and slow.  He went to Ford, got the hose, and put it on for 900 baht, in about 30 minutes.   At Ford, I would never have been able to even see the problem, they won't let you into the garage area and it would easily have taken a few hours ????

Good luck with your transplant project.  Sounds like a lot of fun...   hopefully you have a garage with A/C to work in!  ????

No a/c in the work area. Just adds condensate to areas if it isn't run 24/7. Just run 'big fans' for that timescale. 

Had recent problems at my local Ford and probably am 'persona  non grata' since a blatant attempt (by a new service manager) to rip me off after a service. I got a 'water in fuel' error the next day. Followed the "users' handbook and drained fuel from the filter 'bleed' and nothing appeared.

Next day made an OBD check before taking to the local Ford that did the service. They did squat, other than give me a prospective bill that I would need to pay. Couldn't even quote me the OBD error code and expressed a demeanor that was less than disrespectful.

P'd me off a lot. Went into the workshop and removed my filter, took it into the waiting area and emptied it into glasses provided for drinking water and asked (in explicit Thai) "where's the freaking water?"

Took the truck away and contacted Head Office. Next day, we got a phone-call from the dealership. Were very politely asked to take the truck back for repair and I declined. Told them I wanted the full repair detailed on the original worksheet, with the work to be supervised by myself with supporting video.

Fault was a 'pushed back' connector on the female side (only two wires total). Conceded the initial request and got new cable-forms fitted.

Sadly, individual employees are able to create an impression of poor service by their incompetence.

Still, for trucks, Ford are my preferred supplier in Thailand.