Cheque Deposit

Hello, Can anyone tell me if it is possible to deposit a U.K bank cheaqe in pounds sterling into my Thai kasikorn bank account? Would there be a long wait for it to clear and big charges both banks? Thank for any info.

If you mean a cheque issued by a UK bank drawn on a Thai bank, it should take only a couple of days to clear.

I am not sure about the fees of your Thai bank but I believe with most banks it would be the same as for an incoming remittance, ie 0.25% but minimum 200 Baht, maximum 500 Baht.

--------------

Maestro

Hi thanks for the reply, What I mean is if I have a cheque for say 5000 pounds made out to me from a UK bank, will I be able to put it in my thai bank account? not sure what you ment by "Drawn on a thai bank" Sorry if i being simple :o

What I mean is if I have a cheque for say 5000 pounds made out to me from a UK bank, will I be able to put it in my thai bank account?

Yes, definitely. It may take about three weeks to clear, ie for the money to be credited to your account.

not sure what you ment by "Drawn on a thai bank" Sorry if i being simple :o

It probably does not happen much with cheques sent to Thailand, but when I once had to send a cheque from Switzerland to the State Secretary of a US state the cheque had to be drawn on a US bank. So I went to my Swiss bank and for a fee the bank gave me a cheque issued by the Swiss bank, not by me, drawn on a US bank. This meant that my Swiss bank had an account with a bank in the USA and issued a cheque drawn on that account in the USA. Thus the cheque did not have to be cleared through the Swiss bank, but through the US bank. It is a rarely used instrument for international payments as most foreign creditors accept payment by bank transfer or credit card, but some government institutions insist on a cheque drawn on a bank in their country.

--------------

Maestro

Every 3 months I write a personal check on my American checking account. I deposit the check in my Thai bank ( Siam City Bank).

My check clears in about 6 to 8 days at my U.S. bank ( I looked online at my account) Siam City bank then "holds" my money for a length of time before it becomes available.

It takes just about 37 days for me to have access to my money.

Jim

What I mean is if I have a cheque for say 5000 pounds made out to me from a UK bank, will I be able to put it in my thai bank account?

Yes, definitely. It may take about three weeks to clear, ie for the money to be credited to your account.

not sure what you ment by "Drawn on a thai bank" Sorry if i being simple :o

It probably does not happen much with cheques sent to Thailand, but when I once had to send a cheque from Switzerland to the State Secretary of a US state the cheque had to be drawn on a US bank. So I went to my Swiss bank and for a fee the bank gave me a cheque issued by the Swiss bank, not by me, drawn on a US bank. This meant that my Swiss bank had an account with a bank in the USA and issued a cheque drawn on that account in the USA. Thus the cheque did not have to be cleared through the Swiss bank, but through the US bank. It is a rarely used instrument for international payments as most foreign creditors accept payment by bank transfer or credit card, but some government institutions insist on a cheque drawn on a bank in their country.

--------------

Maestro

That is why I no longer deal with Siam City Bank!!!!!!!!!!