UK variant was responsible for 98% of Thai infections, says leading virologist - Indian variant not detected yet

webfact

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

98% - while this figure was reported, I wonder if all all of the Covid-19 RT PCR positive test so far were actually tested for the variant or, as with the vast majority of announcements made by public officials in Thailand the 98% figure is a complete fabrication. 

Statistically sequenced samples since April 1 all show the Cambodian version of the UK variant. A large number of these have been uploaded to the international GISAID database if you care to check.

So 98% is correct.  Do you have any evidence?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It was detected in Holland first, about five weeks before the UK completed the genomic analysis and confirmed its existence.

It's not worthwhile labeling these variants as they are evolving everywhere there's no control on people movement.

A guy was telling me he would like to know where these infections are being detected so he can avoid them. I tried to tell him if it has already been detected there, it is too late and it has already moved on. It is spread by people movements and not by markets or malls.

Maybe the world can compromise and call it the "Tulip Variant"

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

So far, we are not seeing reports of full hospitals and ambulances circling looking for open beds. Not yet. 

It would be interesting to get a breakdown of hospitals showing occupancy rates. 

Let's hope that Cambodia & Burma don't permit arrivals from India, either!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Let's hope Thailand manages to get a grip on this outbreak. The alternative in frightening. In Cambodia, they had had only 500 cases in Total by mid February since the beginning of the Pandemic, now it is 500 a day. Thailand is about a month behind Cambodia for the 'British' wave.

• Like 2

When Thailand gets all the variants, from the rest of the world, and it WILL, then the numbers of infected and

deaths will be a lot more.  Even with only essential travel, I doubt that Thailand will be successful in keeping out any variant

of the COVID virus.  With very little people getting vaccinated in Thailand, I doubt that the majority will have their shots

until sometime in 2022.  Because of that, most travelers that have any caution, will go to Thailand until the population

has had their shots. Goode Luck TAT with your fantasy forecasts.

Geezer

• Like 1