Are masks now mandatory in public in CM?

fangless

Two Grab drivers and "she who must be obeyed" have told me late today, Monday, that masks are now mandatory in CM.  I have asked them where they got their info but all they say is "must wear".

I cannot see any published info on this.

Does anyone know for sure.

• Like 1

Weirdly, as of 26th April, Chiang Mai has yet to be added to the list of provinces where people not wearing a face mask in public will be fined. 

But it will only be a matter of time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I think its fair and reasonable to assume that each province will now follow suit in time.

Assume its so until told otherwise is the best and safest approach I would say.

Rayong has just announced 14 day lock down too.

Totally agreed !  Better Safe then Sorry.

31 minutes ago, Maha Sarakham said:

I think the better question is, why would you NOT want to wear one around other people

I am not asking about being around other people which I fully accept and agree with.

I am asking about if an instruction has been made that a mask must be worn at all times outdoors when running for instance and you are not in contact with others? And now in addition if so what are the rules.

Edited by fangless
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, fangless said:

I am not asking about being around other people which I fully accept and agree with.

I am asking about if an instruction has been made that a mask must be worn at all times outdoors when running for instance and you are not in contact with others? And now in addition if so what are the rules.

Its my understanding that "exercise" is not included. It had been said, albeit a while ago, that wearing a mask whilst exercising was not a good idea.

When Phuket announced the 20k fine etc it also stated that it did not include exercise.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fangless said:

Two Grab drivers and "she who must be obeyed" have told me late today, Monday, that masks are now mandatory in CM.  I have asked them where they got their info but all they say is "must wear".

I cannot see any published info on this.

Does anyone know for sure.

Yes masks are compulsory in CM. The full nationwide list is here:

Face masks compulsory in public places in a number of Thai provinces

• Like 1

All this just as the MIT study is making headlines. 

MIT-researchers-say-youre-no-safer-from-covid-indoors-at-6-feet-or-60-feet-in-new-study

Regarding outdoor masking (bold added): 

"As for social distancing outdoors, MIT professors Martin Z. Bazant, who teaches chemical engineering and applied mathematics, says it makes almost no sense and that doing so with masks on is “kind of crazy.”

“If you look at the air flow outside, the infected air would be swept away and very unlikely to cause transmission. There are very few recorded instances of outdoor transmission.” he said. “Crowded spaces outdoor could be an issue, but if people are keeping a reasonable distance of like 3 feet outside, I feel pretty comfortable with that even without masks, frankly.”

Bazant says this could possibly explain why there haven’t been spikes in transmission in states like Texas or Florida that have reopened businesses without capacity limits."

Moreover, even Apparatchik Fauci is saying the CDC is about to relax its masking guidance. 

Of course as of today, at least 48 provinces in Thailand have instituted mandatory, all-the-time masking, even when you are alone outside, or on a motorbike (seriously). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Trujillo said:

but if people are keeping a reasonable distance of like 3 feet outside, I feel pretty comfortable with that even without masks, frankly.”

Bazant says this could possibly explain why there haven’t been spikes in transmission in states like Texas or Florida that have reopened businesses without capacity limits."

No spikes in rural Issan either. In fact hardly any Covid at all, just as it was last year during the 1st wave .

Have a look at the map I referenced in my post above.

18 hours ago, Trujillo said:

MIT professors Martin Z. Bazant, who teaches chemical engineering and applied mathematics, and John W.M. Bush, who teaches applied mathematics ...

Yeah, right.....

Edited by Fromas

Even if masks were 100% effective against aerosolized breath carrying a virus (which is another issue), why would it be useful to wear one when a person is alone, with no one near him, say in a park or on a vacant sidewalk or taking out the garbage at your own house, etc.?

Would this not be like driving your motorcycle while wearing a helmet, then arriving at the park to take a walk and keeping your helmet on as you stroll around the grounds. Would you advocate this out of an "abundance of caution," or what? If this makes sense to you, please explain your reasoning to me. 

5 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Even if masks were 100% effective against aerosolized breath carrying a virus (which is another issue), why would it be useful to wear one when a person is alone, with no one near him, say in a park or on a vacant sidewalk or taking out the garbage at your own house, etc.?

Would this not be like driving your motorcycle while wearing a helmet, then arriving at the park to take a walk and keeping your helmet on as you stroll around the grounds. Would you advocate this out of an "abundance of caution," or what? If this makes sense to you, please explain your reasoning to me. 

That is like suggesting that the only time carrying a gun should be prohibited is when you want to shoot someone.

And no it is not like your motorcycle example. You really do get absurd.

Can I mention that Thailand is a member of the World Health Organization (WHO), and as such, should adhere to the organization's guidelines and principles?

The WHO says (bold added): "When outside, wear a mask if you cannot maintain physical distance from others. Some examples are busy markets, crowded streets and bus stops."

The WHO says (bold added): "Even when you’re in an area of COVID-19 transmission, masks should not be worn during vigorous physical activity because of the risk of reducing your breathing capacity."

Source: WHO

The Thai government is requiring us to break WHO protocol by wearing masks in situations where the organization does not advise this (such as walking alone with no other people near you), and which can be actually hazardous to your health (such as jogging).

Being threatened by fines for adhering to WHO protocol (not wearing a mask while riding a bicycle, for instance) is ludicrous.  

You know, we snigger at some of the asinine things the government routinely does, as mostly they're not things that endangers anyone or ends up affecting the masses, but this time is different. 

And to think that Thailand is allowed to be a member of the WHO but Taiwan is not. 

"That is like suggesting that the only time carrying a gun should be prohibited is when you want to shoot someone."

Huh? "Is that mask loaded?"

I don't really follow your "logic," but as if I need to explain, my point is that a prophylactic is useful only in situations that merit its use. 

So you walk around all day with a condom on, just in case you might end up shagging someone that day? 

Would you carry an open umbrella every day outside regardless of whether it's sunny or not? (Just following the guidance, in case a weather front moves in.)

Would you carry a hunting rifle all the time just in case you happened to pass by a shooting range? 

Do you wear your reading glasses all the time just in case you need to read? 

BIL lives in a mountain village with his family, about 1.5 hours from us.

40 to 50 people live there, so no local market.

Pickup trucks loaded with fresh fruit and veg, meat, dry goods, rice, noodles, etc used to come up weekly - three different trucks in total.

The Gov't has banned these trucks from driving up to make deliveries, forcing the residents, many who do not have a car, to pile into a minivan or song thaew and drive down the mountain to the nearest market to shop.

So - 3 lone drivers risk of spreading Covid to the village versus tens of people trekking to town.

The mind boggles