Brit dad stuck in Thailand with cancer needs £88,000 a year to continue fight in the UK

webfact

3 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:
25 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He's not dying, he's had the all clear!   Read the link.

I read it and I don't believe all of it and newspaper and online reporting over here many times can get lost in translation .

The treatment might be holding it at bay at the very best and stopping it spreading, pancreatic cancer is up there with the worst types and it is well known that by the time you know you have got it, it is already too late.

"I read it and I don't believe all of it and newspaper and online reporting over here many times can get lost in translation".

What "translation"?  It's a direct copy of the Mirror's article...in English!

"...it is well known that by the time you know you have got it, it is already too late".

He said, himself, that he's had the all clear, what position are you in to deny that?

2 minutes ago, expatjustice said:

I often times donate to charity and specially causes which needs funds for medical services in order to survive. 

But IMO this is just not worth it, I am sorry for this chap and I do wish him the best. But asking people to donate 88k Pounds with the sole purpose of extending his life (maybe a couple of months, maybe a couple of years at most) makes no sense when those 88k could save the life of a child with some severe disease and make him live a full life without any issues. 

Sorry, but I have to say no....

At least you have given a reason that people can go along with as opposed to not wanting to donate because he had tattoos!

7 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Poor guy. But he has not been forced to stay in Thailand. There have been many flights in and out since last March and I have many friends that have flown both ways.

I cannot see any airline that would allow him the fly in his condition. Unless he is covered for medivac

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Don't include me in your 'we', I'm OK with death.

And if you gave me 88k GBP, I'd find a better use for it than trying to extend my life another year.

How selfish would you have to be, as an old man whose life is over, to expect others to give you 88,000GBP/year to live a little longer? Better to use that money to buy milk powder to feed starving African children, etc. ................

so 59 years is "old" to you?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"I read it and I don't believe all of it and newspaper and online reporting over here many times can get lost in translation".

"...it is well known that by the time you know you have got it, it is already too late".

He said, himself, that he's had the all clear, what position are you in to deny that?

OK,

Maybe not on the translation part. However, it is a red label sensationalist UK paper and not really classed as serious news reporting.

With his statement of the ' all clear '  well, I have seen and known personally people with late stage, and stage 4 is very late stage, of pancreatic cancer and some of them were wealthy and could afford the best types of treatment. None of them came through it shortly after diagnosis.

I think the guy is in denial. It affects different people in different ways and some are so desperate to cling to life, they will say or convince themselves of anything.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

My (non-medical) knowledge of pancreatic cancer is that at stage 4, it is usually going to be 'lights out' pretty soon....

But his predicament does raise an interesting question.  He has medical insurance, which covers his medical bills when outside the UK, and his insurance company has been footing the medical costs.  But usually, such 'expat' insurance policies stop providing cover when you return to your home country, and he is now well enough to return to the UK.  If his Thai doctors said that he wasn't well enough to travel back to the UK, then presumably his insurance company would still pay his bills...

I have an expat policy which provides $1 million cover, but only when I'm outside the UK.  If I return to the country that I left 20+ years ago, (or I'm medivaced back to the UK), my insurance cover stops and I join the NHS queue.

Expat policies aren't all the same.  My global expat policy will cover me in my own country if I'm a temporary resident there at the time - for up to 180 days per policy year.  I could even choose to be medivaced there for treatment, and all would be covered as long as I left the country within the 180 day period.  However, I do agree that returning fulltime for treatment would invalidate the policy.

From the Policy Rules:

"This policy is only offered to beneficiaries who are expatriates. Therefore, this policy will only cover the costs of treatment in a beneficiary’s country of nationality in circumstances where the beneficiary is temporarily resident in their country of nationality. Such circumstances may not exceed one hundred and eighty (180) days in aggregate per period of cover, and the country of nationality must be within the selected area of coverage"

Edited by ballpoint
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

My (non-medical) knowledge of pancreatic cancer is that at stage 4, it is usually going to be 'lights out' pretty soon....

But his predicament does raise an interesting question.  He has medical insurance, which covers his medical bills when outside the UK, and his insurance company has been footing the medical costs.  But usually, such 'expat' insurance policies stop providing cover when you return to your home country, and he is now well enough to return to the UK.  If his Thai doctors said that he wasn't well enough to travel back to the UK, then presumably his insurance company would still pay his bills...

I have an expat policy which provides $1 million cover, but only when I'm outside the UK.  If I return to the country that I left 20+ years ago, (or I'm medivaced back to the UK), my insurance cover stops and I join the NHS queue.

Or you join BUPA etc and pay a premium similar to your expat Insurance for private medical IF you can't wait for the free NHS service.

7 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

I have force myself to make abstraction of his tattoos, so that I can feel sympathetic.

Guess I am living in some parallel world, sorry.

Yep. Me too.

Irrational and unfair I know but as soon as I see those aberrations  all sypathy abates.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

And if you gave me 88k GBP, I'd find a better use for it than trying to extend my life another year.

How selfish would you have to be, as an old man whose life is over, to expect others to give you 88,000GBP/year to live a little longer? Better to use that money to buy milk powder to feed starving African children, etc. ................

First of all... no one can verify your tough guy talk... maybe you are not a walk the walk type of guy... but who knows... everyone is a tough guy behind a keyboard...

2nd... If I were diagnosed as terminal... there is a whole lot of people I would go visit to settle some debts Louisville style... and you can take that to the bank... Who cares if I go to prison?... I ain't gonna be here for a long time anyways...

3rd... If I make it till 93... chances are I would be afraid too, just as my uncle... let me know when you get to 93 then we can continue this debate...

As for the "we" it pretty much sums up how must 'normal' people feel...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

I cannot see any airline that would allow him the fly in his condition. Unless he is covered for medivac

He is well enough to travel now. Ignore the picture, they used a picture from when he was acutely ill. He is now up and about and able to fly.

• Like 2

Sorry for this fellows bad luck. I wish him the best. 

At stage 4, there is little to no hope of him getting out from under this cancer. Best make peace with friends, family and his god. Prepare him for the next and final stage of his life and whatever comes next.

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I get your point and you'r right , only for me the starving african children fund also is some kind of a bottomless pit because even though they have sometimes 2 or 3 starving children they keep making more (sorry if it soumds a bit harsh hope you get my point) better so steralise woman over there that cannot feed their children anymore. Why if you have 2 children that are almost dying from being under fed would you want to make more ?? That's a bit like you'r point that the 88k could be better spend .

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

First of all... no one can verify your tough guy talk... maybe you are not a walk the walk type of guy... but who knows... everyone is a tough guy behind a keyboard...

2nd... If I were diagnosed as terminal... there is a whole lot of people I would go visit to settle some debts Louisville style... and you can take that to the bank... Who cares if I go to prison?... I ain't gonna be here for a long time anyways...

3rd... If I make it till 93... chances are I would be afraid too, just as my uncle... let me know when you get to 93 then we can continue this debate...

As for the "we" it pretty much sums up how must 'normal' people feel...

Says the louisville keyboard warrior ????????

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I read it as he has the all clear to travel? Not that he is all clear of cancer. He would not need 88k I’d he was all clear of cancer?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, barney42bb said:

People, People People.....

You need to understand this poor man's immediate needs are way down the list of UK priorities.

The Welfare Bill was £192.4 Billion last year,an increase of over £8 Billion from the previous year.

The Workshy, Criminals, Drug Addicts,Foreign Aid and Illegal immigrants... Must be accommodated/funded before the genuinely needy.

What are the other headlines in the Daily Express/Mail today ?????

Let me guess - the same as every other day..

3 hours ago, Thomas J said:

I am not aware of that, however people with stage 4 pancreatic cancer  have generally a very short time to live even with aggressive chemotherapy. Note 5 year survival rate is 1%. 

image.png.0822408f33233b92417859e75620153f.png
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/pancreatic-cancer/pancreatic-cancer-prognosis#:~:text=Stage IV pancreatic cancer has,about 1 year after diagnosis.

It's the worst kind of cancer. I know someone diagnosed with liver cancer. He was gone within 3 months. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firestar said:

Good luck to the fella but that clickbait headline is all over the place. He needs it because it is not available on the NHS, so how is he "stuck in Thailand"?

Adds to the ' Robinson Crusoe ' effect to get you to  part company with your cash.

• Like 1