Please Do Not be like this Guy

sqwakvfr

They are capable of taking said note to the bank.

Perhaps the OP should hand out 20b notes to the destitute. Waitresses have a job, not to mention that they have access to food. Whereas, the aforementioned are malnourished.

Keep the pseudo-aristocratic speech/behavior code  nonsense in the West.

LOL!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, kynikoi said:

Maybe like myself normally leaves nothing but a note tore in half on him and he was too lazy to fix it or he had no tape at home. With a piece of tape the waitress had b20 about 30mins of work for her.

Petty

That's only if other traders would accept the torn in two and taped together note. Many places don't. Most banks also don't accept such notes.

One possibility is that the farang customer involved normally doesn't give tips (many don't, several times I've eaten with farang who don't give tips and push their 'no tip' attitude on the other customers at the table), but somehow he ended with with a torn into two pieces 20B note. He realized that to offer the repaired note or offer it still in 2 pieces  at the cash register in say 7/11 of other shops (seen this before) it wouldn't be accepted so he decided that giving it as a tip would be the best way to get rid of it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WineOh said:

Tipping is not mandatory in Thailand.

This is not the USA.

True, but if I got some good to excellent service I'd show some appreciation. I didn't normally tip in any place like malls or chain restaurants.

If I knew I'd return to a place I'd probably tip, as a hope of a positive next visit.

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

True, but if I got some good to excellent service I'd show some appreciation. I didn't normally tip in any place like malls or chain restaurants.

If I knew I'd return to a place I'd probably tip, as a hope of a positive next visit.

The only time I have had truly great service in Thailand was at the Apple store, Icon Siam.

That is truly the only time I have ever had great service here.

All the rest has been lukewarm at best.

1 hour ago, Acharn said:

Yes. In my experience (ymmv), Thais normally do not tip. Unwanted change is what you give beggars on the street. I don't think I've ever left a tip, even when I was living in Bangkok. The restaurant he refers to must get lots of farangs if the girl expected a tip. And what's wrong with a ฿20 note torn in two? Stick the pieces together with scotch tape and it spends, or take it to the bank and they'll give you a new one. I agree there's something wrong with the guy he describes. First of all leaving a tip, and then the malicious tearing of the baht note, not knowing how things work in Thailand. So much undirected anger. By the way, you can do the same thing with damaged currency in any civilized country, even America.

Most Thais I know normally leave a small tip. Might not be much but a little eg the coins or small note/s from the change.

It all depends on what type of bar/restaurant. If they have added the 10% service charge already then perhaps not.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

9 minutes ago, WineOh said:

The only time I have had truly great service in Thailand was at the Apple store, Icon Siam.

That is truly the only time I have ever had great service here.

All the rest has been lukewarm at best.

Try going where apple stores don't exist. You may be surprised at how good the service is away from such unimportant places, out where tourism hasn't ruined the natural good will of the locals.

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Try going where apple stores don't exist. You may be surprised at how good the service is away from such unimportant places, out where tourism hasn't ruined the natural good will of the locals.

so by your rationale, with the lack of tourism in Thailand for nigh on two years - the goodwill of the locals should be reset?

Can I expect great service everywhere I go now?

Even in Samui and Phuket?

Am pretty sure the waitress would be able to 'cash' the torn note quite easily, but perhaps the OP as a farang would have had trouble.

Since Covid my tipping has increased due to the lack of customers pretty much everywhere. Mostly I give 100 Baht in a restaurant, more for a massage (if it was good). It's easy to forget these people are often on a reduced wage.  In a bar I tip 20 Baht per round of drinks. It helps to remember 100 Baht is only £2.50.

Believe me tipping is appreciated here, as per the example of 'bigger portions next time'. A regular tipper will many times reap the rewards of generosity. If you have a regular place the expected tip is always received well.

As for America, reminds me of a trip many years ago.  Friends took me to a seafood restaurant in Baltimore. The food was lousy, cold, brought out 2 times. I was pretty naive then and when they callculated the tip at 15% I was the one to protest. Nothing desered even a cent as a tip, the whole night was a disaster. My resaoning fell on deaf ears and the tip was paid. I was told the servers got back then around $2 an hour.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

That's only if other traders would accept the torn in two and taped together note. Many places don't. Most banks also don't accept such notes.

One possibility is that the farang customer involved normally doesn't give tips (many don't, several times I've eaten with farang who don't give tips and push their 'no tip' attitude on the other customers at the table), but somehow he ended with with a torn into two pieces 20B note. He realized that to offer the repaired note or offer it still in 2 pieces  at the cash register in say 7/11 of other shops (seen this before) it wouldn't be accepted so he decided that giving it as a tip would be the best way to get rid of it.

That's the most plausible explanation of all, based on my own experiences years ago in India trying to get rid of damaged bills.

The old saying "It takes one to know one" comes to mind.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

Two sides to every story....I bet the old fart has a good one.....and maybe he will post it......????????????????????

I confess--it was me....since it was by pantip and a nice day I decided to take a shortcut and walk down loy kroh and land me down my night bazaar and pantip...as usual, and being so hansum whenever im on loy kroh I was getting the usual cat calls from the massage girls.....while I was distracted by an isaan granny a ladyboy went into my pocket.....being used to this, again due to my hansumness, i grabbed the wrist of the ladyboy with my money...and tug of war ensued as granny went to give me a kiss, i used the lady boy as a shield and snatched my money , thus tearing the 20 baht, I then picked up the pace and hightailed it to safety....thus explaining the mystery of the 20 bt.

Thus the lesson being, if you find yourself to be a hansum man in LOS, avoid loy kroh and the grannies

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I confess--it was me....since it was by pantip and a nice day I decided to take a shortcut and walk down loy kroh and land me down my night bazaar and pantip...as usual, and being so hansum whenever im on loy kroh I was getting the usual cat calls from the massage girls.....while I was distracted by an isaan granny a ladyboy went into my pocket.....being used to this, again due to my hansumness, i grabbed the wrist of the ladyboy with my money...and tug of war ensued as granny went to give me a kiss, i used the lady boy as a shield and snatched my money , thus tearing the 20 baht, I then picked up the pace and hightailed it to safety....thus explaining the mystery of the 20 bt.

Thus the lesson being, if you find yourself to be a hansum man in LOS, avoid loy kroh and the grannies

Do show us a photo of yourself so we can judge for ourselves.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, timendres said:

Feel free to hand me all of your cash that is torn in two pieces.

I paid a bill with a slightly torn 20 baht note . I was abruptly told , money is broken , no good. 

5 minutes ago, itsari said:

I paid a bill with a slightly torn 20 baht note . I was abruptly told , money is broken , no good. 

this give me an idea on my next stroll down loy kroh..(whistling a tune)

Hey  hey you!! you!! you want massage???!!!(clapping at me like a dog)

Sorry  mai dai..cannot...pulls out broken money----(chubby isaan grannies sobbing)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

"Damaged Banknotes

1. What should I do if I have damaged banknotes?

People can take damaged banknotes to Government Savings Bank or commercial banks in Thailand. 

2. How long does it take to redeem damaged banknotes?

Money will be credited immediately for banknotes that have more than three-fifths of the original banknote remaining. However, damaged banknotes which the Government Savings Bank or commercial banks are unable to exchange immediately are forwarded to the Bank of Thailand for examination. As a general rule, once the money reaches the Bank of Thailand, it takes around 10 - 15 days until either the redeemed amount is credited or the claim is rejected..."

https://www.bot.or.th/English/Banknotes/Pages/FAQ.aspx

was it the only change he had? did he deliberately tear it and leave it out of spite? we will never know.But yes be extra generous in these difficult times.What goes round comes round,karma has a way of balancing things up.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ever visited NZ? We don't tip anyone. Perhaps some uninformed tourists might do so, but it's not normal.

don't you think that's because the wages are relatively high for the work they perform?....same in australia.