Oil change kilometers?

How far can you leave an oil change, semi synthetic in a Toyota Vios 1.5 auto? We only do short runs and I know they say 5k kilo's but how much more can you do without doing the engine any harm. Mrs does not want to take it in because of Covid! We have done 7k last change was a year ago. 

• Haha 1

I wouldn't be worried at all,  we had a 1.5 yaris great little sporty car for 9 years, if you're using semi like me what I did was changed it with Mobil 1 semi every 12,000k or every 18 months never a problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Ah well there's the rub. Had you payed for real 100% synthetic you would have been good for at least 10,000 kms probably more. Semi is neither fish nor fowl and is a complete waste of money. Sorry this doesn't help but...

I know that but we don't travel much and I understand that would need changing anyway after a year or so irrespective of kilometers

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Ah well there's the rub. Had you payed for real 100% synthetic you would have been good for at least 10,000 kms probably more. Semi is neither fish nor fowl and is a complete waste of money. Sorry this doesn't help but...

Disagree that's why I don't like getting into oil conversations. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

I know that but we don't travel much and I understand that would need changing anyway after a year or so irrespective of kilometers

My Airblade I know its only a scooter but put Castrol semi-syn in 4 years ago and 4000 kilos have recently changed it and did a compression test and it's still on spec,  go figure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I always figured every 6 mos or 6-7000km on an Isuzu pickup. Started using 100% synthetic oil. Cost is 1800bht. 

Unnecessary to change it so often, and at 1800THB it's probably not 100% synthetic, unless there is a very cheap brand that I'm not aware of.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jackdd said:

Who says 5k? Probably only the dealer/shop where you do the oil change, so they can earn some extra money from you. There is no need to change the oil so often.

Oil change should be somewhere in the 10k-20k range, depending on the car, check your owner's manual for the correct information for your car.

I wouldn’t really trust the manufacture because they have an interest in repairs. The official Honda recommendation for my bike I bought new back then was 4000 kilometers for the first change. That’s 4000 clicks with all the metal <deleted> that comes of the moving parts and the gear box that shares the oil with the engine. I changed the oil after 400 clicks. It still looked like new, but you could see all the metal flakes in it when holding it up against a light source. I’d recommend 10000 kilometers for a car. It might be a bit too soon, but it certainly doesn’t harm to be a bit more careful and your engine will love it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

Unnecessary to change it so often, and at 1800THB it's probably not 100% synthetic, unless there is a very cheap brand that I'm not aware of.

The oil container said 100%, I'm a Valvoline fan myself. After so many years of older cars changing oil at 3,000 miles it's hard for me let it go to 10,000km or more. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

I wouldn’t really trust the manufacture because they have an interest in repairs. The official Honda recommendation for my bike I bought new back then was 4000 kilometers for the first change. That’s 4000 clicks with all the metal <deleted> that comes of the moving parts and the gear box that shares the oil with the engine. I changed the oil after 400 clicks. It still looked like new, but you could see all the metal flakes in it when holding it up against a light source. I’d recommend 10000 kilometers for a car. It might be a bit too soon, but it certainly doesn’t harm to be a bit more careful and your engine will love it.

I have a Royal Enfield and manual had first oil change at 500km.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jackdd said:

Who says 5k? Probably only the dealer/shop where you do the oil change, so they can earn some extra money from you. There is no need to change the oil so often.

Oil change should be somewhere in the 10k-20k range, depending on the car, check your owner's manual for the correct information for your car.

Car manufacturer's say that so you'll have to come back and buy a new car. I'd rather change the oil.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

Car manufacturer's say that so you'll have to come back and buy a new car. I'd rather change the oil.

I'm quite certain there isn't a single manufacturer who says oil change should be every 5k kilometers (Maybe some super fancy supersport cars, but not "regular" cars)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Well done! I changed it at 400, 800, 1200 and then every 2000 kilometers after that. 

My manual said 500 and then 10,000 but I did it at 5000km. The more often the better.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

How far can you leave an oil change, semi synthetic in a Toyota Vios 1.5 auto? We only do short runs and I know they say 5k kilo's but how much more can you do without doing the engine any harm. Mrs does not want to take it in because of Covid! We have done 7k last change was a year ago

Do the oil change yourself, simple enough procedure.

If it's an issue with a service agreement just don't say you've done it.

If the mileage is around town start/stop type driving I'd do it 5-6k mileage, if longer runs can extend it out a bit up to 10k

• Haha 1