Oil change kilometers?

I always change oil at around 10k in my Hilux. Usually takes a year-year and a half to reach that and I don't care what Toyota or others say, never had any issue even with my previous 15+ years old cars.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

10k or annually whichever comes first.

Covering only 3-4k a year in Australia, with no short trips, I always make my mechanic change the oil annually, but he hates doing so, saying that it’s a waste to throw away oil that’s in almost pristine condition.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Only doing short trips can be problematic, your motor may not reach its optimal operating temperature.

This lack of heat can prevent your engine oil from reaching the ideal viscosity to lubricate your engine’s components as it was designed to.

Additionally, your motor oil also requires heat to rid itself of contaminants such as moisture and other combustion byproducts.

When your engine doesn’t come to temperature, these contaminants aren’t effectively “evaporated” out of the oil, further compromising its integrity and performance.

smart reply ...   and accurate

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Well done! I changed it at 400, 800, 1200 and then every 2000 kilometers after that. 

So if you drive it every day for about 40km that means an oil change every 10 days the first month and then every 2 months ?? Your bike must be very happy but your wallet isn't . 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

And there you still got into it .

Just couldn't resist saying what experiment I carried out on my scoot so I could prove something to myself and not to listen or read BS.

Not changed coolant or brake fluid in 15 years either everything's fine.

It maybe still good because it's a Honda. ????

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Just couldn't resist saying what experiment I carried out on my scoot so I could prove something to myself and not to listen or read BS.

Not changed coolant or brake fluid in 15 years either everything's fine.

It maybe still good because it's a Honda. ????

Ehm, brake fluid? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Deteriated some like everything does but dual braking still works and still locks the front wheel although needs a harder pull obviously. 

Brake fluids is somthing I take serious, however oil change, it is all about your driving style, lenght of driving when you drive, and not only based on km. Time is another factor when it comes to oil. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Deteriated some like everything does but dual braking still works and still locks the front wheel although needs a harder pull obviously. 

You clearly lack some crucial knowledge regarding brakes.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, this means it pulls moisture. If there is too much moisture in the brake fluid and you brake hard over a prolonged period, the brake fluid/water can get so hot that the water part evaporates. When this happens your brake stops working, good luck if you are just going down hill, then you are one of the "brake failures" we have so often in the news here.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tagged said:

Brake fluids is somthing I take serious, however oil change, it is all about your driving style, lenght of driving when you drive, and not only based on km. Time is another factor when it comes to oil. 

Yeah we know all that and all recommendations from manufacturers are OK but as I have tried to explain I have used and abused my scoot over the years as an experiment because I can. 

11 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You clearly lack some crucial knowledge regarding brakes.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, this means it pulls moisture. If there is too much moisture in the brake fluid and you brake hard over a prolonged period, the brake fluid/water can get so hot that the water part evaporates. When this happens your brake stops working, good luck if you are just going down hill, then you are one of the "brake failures" we have so often in the news here.

You can insult me as much as you like I have plenty of knowledge in the mechanical field thanks especially proper old motorbikes.

Brake failures news there many causes for that bad driving is the main one. 

Once a year is OK. My Mazda 2 in LOS has to be maintenanced every 10k Km, in Europe same Car every 25k. So 10k its a Cashcow for the Dealer here. Have now 70k Km on the Clock without any Problems! After 1 year the Oil looks same as Honey. I run 90% in City traffic.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

Once a year is OK. My Mazda 2 in LOS has to be maintenanced every 10k Km, in Europe same Car every 25k. So 10k its a Cashcow for the Dealer here. Have now 70k Km on the Clock without any Problems! After 1 year the Oil looks same as Honey. I run 90% in City traffic.

Your Thai M2 service book is every 10k but your euro M2 is every 25k ?

Something ain't right there.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 12:41 PM, clivebaxter said:

We have done 7k last change was a year ago. 

I do every 5k if I were you, If you want to keep the car for long time. The oil becomes sludge if you wait too long. 
I remember my BMW oil light was on every 15500 miles (synthetic oil) ????????. The oil did not look like oil anymore. That is good for a "leased car" in the USA. And at the end of the lease return it to the dealer whatever is left from the car. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

So if you drive it every day for about 40km that means an oil change every 10 days the first month and then every 2 months ?? Your bike must be very happy but your wallet isn't . 

I did only about 2 kilometers a day because I lived close to my workplace. Every second weekend I went to Bangkok which was about 150 clicks back and forth. I did an oil change after 400 kilometers only three times in the beginning while the engine was still breaking in and then I did a change every 2000 kilometers which was like maybe 3 or 4 times a year. The oil was full synthetic Shell Helix which cost me 680 Baht per liter and the oil capacity was exactly one liter. So, between 2040 and 2720 Baht a year is definitely no biggie in terms of expenses. Obviously if it was a car the story would be different. 

Edited by pacovl46

Drop it every 10,000 Km or for a turbo 5,000km

In both cases new oil filter

Never believe because "that is what the dealer uses",

They may get some things right & I will buy a new car from my old dealer, but he will never sell me a battery again,,,, useless

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Drop it every 10,000 Km or for a turbo 5,000km

In both cases new oil filter

Never believe because "that is what the dealer uses",

They may get some things right & I will buy a new car from my old dealer, but he will never sell me a battery again,,,, useless

Why drop every 5k for a turbo engine ?

16 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

I did only about 2 kilometers a day because I lived close to my workplace. Every second weekend I went to Bangkok which was about 150 clicks back and forth. I did an oil change after 400 kilometers only three times in the beginning while the engine was still breaking in and then I did a change every 2000 kilometers which was like maybe 3 or 4 times a year. The oil was full synthetic Shell Helix which cost me 680 Baht per liter and the oil capacity was exactly one liter. So, between 2040 and 2720 Baht a year is definitely no biggie in terms of expenses. Obviously if it was a car the story would be different. 

Not only with a car , my honda Xadv when fully emptied takes 3.4 litres of oil and i use fully synthetic repsol racing 800 baht a bottle so 4 bottles .