Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Quite right, the risk level in Thailand is far lower than many countries and the need for vaccination not as desperate as it was in the west.

Personal circumstances however can alter the perspective, I have a flight booked to the UK in Aug and at my age it would be prudent to take every step possible.

Yep, if you are planning to travel that is different. Otherwise..

29 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The other number is on the back of the card, in a white box

Thanks!  The first number required is the long one across the top of the Pink card, the second number required is the one on the back in the white box.

12 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Quite right, the risk level in Thailand is far lower than many countries and the need for vaccination not as desperate as it was in the west.

Personal circumstances however can alter the perspective, I have a flight booked to the UK in Aug and at my age it would be prudent to take every step possible.

By the way mate, are you hoping things will be back to relative normal there by August? is it just a short trip or a lengthy stay? I'd love to go back myself but financially not as liquid as I was right now..

6 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

By the way mate, are you hoping things will be back to relative normal there by August? is it just a short trip or a lengthy stay? I'd love to go back myself but financially not as liquid as I was right now..

I had Emirates vouchers from last year which I converted to a booking which carries the covid insurance. I have a grandson that was born early Sept last year that I have yet to see so really hoping things will be ok to travel. Things are certainly improving and it would appear that they will go ahead with international travel on May 17th. I am looking to the vaccination as a possibility of making things a bit easier on the return to Thailand.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

To those who always see the greener grass on the other side of the fence, to those who always think that their glass is half empty and to those who constantly moan about how much better "we foreigners" would be to lead the country into a brighter future while they sit on a bar stool... to those I say, maybe they should think about whether they are in the wrong place. 

hahahaha    just one thought from me :   they ARE in the right place .  THAI VISA . com  

to be accurate,  imo,  the main of humanity dwells on the negative,  can not adjust to ever changing circumstances,  and , for the elders here ................. just waiting for Godot.

Its getting tougher for me,   but i still try to get off my butt and deal with the things i can.

then its home..... and back to thaivisa .????????    Note:  the (slightly) dreaded one year visa extension was done 2 days ago.   Darn it,  i forgot to include a copy of my 90 day report.

Was asked a probing question or two by the head guy... as i had moved provinces.  Had a little chat, in Thai,  ending with a laugh from him and cutie next desk.  And extension number 20 granted as usual.

Sometimes speaking Thai after many many years DOES seem to help.  Probably would help at the hospitals when asking for info as well.

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

I just made a post in my Hua Hin COVID support group with all of the vaccination information I've been able to find and validate. The over-60s among us, or people with one of the health issues, should be able to register via the Line account as I've detailed in the PDF file. Let me know if you can successfully register and if you're able to book an appointment.

You'll need to request membership in the group as per normal FB, I'll keep watching for new requests.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/144311410249248/permalink/370390620974658

1 hour ago, LawrenceN said:

I put สาธารณสุขพัทยา into a Google Maps search. Again, sorry for the Thai script, but it's there for you to cut'n'paste into Gmaps as I did. There are several of these local public health offices in the area, including BangLamung and Muang Pattaya. Head on over there Monday morning. You could try Sunday; my local public health clinic is open until noon on Sunday. 

Hi,

Thanks for the assistance but I am way upcountry in the far reaches of Isaarn.

13 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Lot of whining about your personal situation... some facts:

• the situation for the Thai people is the same. While they can sign-up using the app, it is completely unclear how they will get selected, when they might get their shot and which vaccine will be used for them. Here you go, you are in the same boat as the Thai - which you obviously don't like...
  • not having a Thai-ID is a deliberate choice of yours. I personally have a Thai-ID, but I am also outside the SS system, never worked in Thailand. Takes a bit of time and energy, but it seems you never invested that time and energy to get your pink ID card. The ID is a valid ID which I used to open bank accounts, get SIM cards, register in apps, all without the need of my home country passport.
  • both Bumrungrad in Bangkok as well as Bangkok Hospital Pattaya have informed me through mail (as I am registered as patient with both) , that I can sign up for the Thai government vaccine program, BUT the same way as the Thai people: No choice of the vaccine that will be used, priority given through health status and age same as the Thai people. So you should stop whining and go to the next private hospital and sign up for the vaccine program, they will tell you exactly how and what and when and where.
  • Finally, your lack of information seems to be a lack of looking. If you would sign up in Facebook to the group "PR Thai Government" (https://www.facebook.com/watch/thailandprd/), you would find a lot of official information, including information about how to register for the vaccination program through the line app "mor prom", nearby hospitals, village health volunteers or "health promotion hospitals"

just hanging around waiting and whining will not do you any good

I signed up today as an expat using my Thai ID No. (Pink Card) Never been working in Thailand and over 60 years old with no underlying illness. June 9th is the day. My wife is Thai and she was not accepted because under 60 years old . Location Pattaya

Edited by spetersen
Miss spelling

Jingthing,

... you still say "Foreigners "

Its unbeknownst to me that you have existed in this living bubble of yours in Pattaya, Thailand for so so long without a Thai ID of any kind.

So, ill presume you never applied for a drivers License? After the first year, you were required to re-apply for a 5 year. Thereafter another 5 years..... . 

The Department of Land and Transportation has furnished you with a number that should not be your Passport number. 

As you also should know, maybe this was delayed in Chon Buri.... but you were required (or most of us have) to present a certificate of residence starting last year by your local I/O  to renew your driver's licenses.....

The Point here is: As of last September, all non thais here, including Western, Middle Eastern,  European and Asian residents were required to have a yellow book and a resident card (pink card) with your Thai ID number on it!

This is the number that gives all residents, travel, hotel, banking, parks, and even PTT and PT cards for gas points, promotions and discounts.

This same card is what I open bank accounts with and use in any government Thai ID number account.

Edited by onthedarkside
personal comments removed

Well Mr Swiss 1960, I didnt think people were whining I think like many of us we just want to know where we stand and when we may be able to get the covid vaccine. With this in mind I wrote to Bumrungrad hospital (my hospital for 30 years)  and got this reply, and I quote:

" Please be advised that the current booking vaccination for covid requested by the Office of Health BMA needs a Thai ID number"

"No further updates on vaccine version and we are unable to confirm when we will be receiving our supply of the vaccine" 

2 hours ago, Bradmeister said:

The Point here is: As of last September, all non thais here, including Western, Middle Eastern,  European and Asian residents were required to have a yellow book and a resident card (pink card) with your Thai ID number on it!

Err, could you provide a link for this please, I've been here 10 years and that's the first time I've heard of this requirement ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bradmeister said:

The Department of Land and Transportation has furnished you with a number that should not be your Passport number. 

As far as I know, without having to unlock the place and get my licence from the car the only number on my driving licence is my passport number.

11 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Err, could you provide a link for this please, I've been here 10 years and that's the first time I've heard of this requirement ?

I've lived in BKK for 15+ years, and no one anywhere has ever asked or required that I get a Thai ID, thus, I also don't have one. Do my annual retirement extensions every year without any problem or being asked for any such thing.

I think one of the reasons for that is I'm not on anyone's tabien ban book... as I rent my home here, and my wife's tabien ban still is on her family's home upcountry. Thus she doesn't have one for BKK either.

I also don't have a Thai DL, as I have and keep one from my home country, and use mass transit here instead of driving. One luxury of living in BKK, among others, is that you don't need a car to drive here on Thailand's mean streets.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've lived in BKK for 15+ years, and no one anywhere has ever asked or required that I get a Thai ID, thus, I don't have one. Do my annual retirement extensions every year without any problem or being asked for any such thing.

I also don't have a Thai DL, as I have and keep one from my home country, and use mass transit here instead of driving.

So someone is talking out of their rusty Sheriffs badge then ???????? I thought so ????

Settle down folks.

You will be vaccinated as a farang (with a Non B or 0 ))  just as the Thai;s will be.when the time comes, but your private hospital will take your credentials (nothing they can do yet

as the Govt will not let them import the 2 approved vaccines yet).

Maybe still sorting out who gets what 

Nothing to do for 6 to 8 weeks yet anyway except stay as safe as you can

I receive emails from the American organization Democrats Abroad. Recently I received the following message. It would be excellent if their initiative yields results.

As Thailand experiences increasing numbers of Covid infections and deaths as part of the “Third Wave,” we at Democrats Abroad Thailand are concerned about the effect on Americans living here, as we still have limited access (if at all) to vaccines.

DAT has formed a COVID-19 Vaccine Task Force, with the goal of urging and assisting the US government to fulfill its pledge of making coronavirus vaccines available to all Americans -- including the tens of thousands of U.S. citizens living in Thailand. The Task Force has held regular weekly Zoom meetings and has engaged in productive exchanges with the acting US Ambassador and the US Consul General. Most importantly, we would like to determine whether U.S. citizens and their immediate families residing in Thailand want access to US-approved vaccines if provided by the U.S. government, and if so, what we can do to help to make the “shot in the arm” a reality for U.S. citizens who want to be vaccinated here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Settle down folks.

You will be vaccinated as a farang (with a Non B or 0 ))  just as the Thai;s will be.when the time comes, but your private hospital will take your credentials (nothing they can do yet

as the Govt will not let them import the 2 approved vaccines yet).

Maybe still sorting out who gets what 

Nothing to do for 6 to 8 weeks yet anyway except stay as safe as you can

You just made that up. You don't know. Don't act like you know when you don't know. The reality is that the government recently refused the hospitals to acquire vaccines independently. That could change of course at any moment. But again nobody knows. 

Edited by Jingthing

I don't have a Thai ID so, by the above criteria, I am outside the Thai system.

However, I do have a Thailand Elite visa and all members were contacted about 4 - 6 weeks ago with a questionnaire about which vaccine they would prefer and whether they would be prepared to pay for it. To date, there has been no further communication from TE on this matter.

Ergo, I am being included. The authorities know all my details and machinations are afoot to provide those "outside the system" with vaccines as necessary. If the authorities chose to ignore certain sections of the expat community then the whole vaccine program would be dysfunctional, and they know that.

You might not get your vaccine on the 1st June but it is almost certain that it will be available to you by the end of October. I have been practicing caution since April 2020 and a few months more won't be any more of an inconvenience.

Basically, sit tight and wait your turn.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Evidence of what I think is obvious. Vaccine access is both a national and a local issue.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/pattaya-councilman-doubts-government-covid-19-vaccination-plan-353351

I think you are right when you say it is a local issue. In my village in Isan I even get treated for free at the village clinic, when I asked my partner why she said, 'because you live here'. If you have a yellow tabien baan you can use that number as a Thai ID. I am 73 and healthy, I'm in no rush to get a jab, seen from where I am covid doesn't exist....yet.

3 minutes ago, 3STTW said:

I don't have a Thai ID so, by the above criteria, I am outside the Thai system.

However, I do have a Thailand Elite visa and all members were contacted about 4 - 6 weeks ago with a questionnaire about which vaccine they would prefer and whether they would be prepared to pay for it. To date, there has been no further communication from TE on this matter.

Ergo, I am being included. The authorities know all my details and machinations are afoot to provide those "outside the system" with vaccines as necessary. If the authorities chose to ignore certain sections of the expat community then the whole vaccine program would be dysfunctional, and they know that.

You might not get your vaccine on the 1st June but it is almost certain that it will be available to you by the end of October. I have been practicing caution since April 2020 and a few months more won't be any more of an inconvenience.

Basically, sit tight and wait your turn.

That was long ago.

That was before this currently severe third wave.

That was before the recent announcement that the Thai government was not going to allow private hospitals to buy vaccines.

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I think you are right when you say it is a local issue. In my village in Isan I even get treated for free at the village clinic, when I asked my partner why she said, 'because you live here'. If you have a yellow tabien baan you can use that number as a Thai ID. I am 73 and healthy, I'm in no rush to get a jab, seen from where I am covid doesn't exist....yet.

Up to you but the virus travels fast.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That was long ago.

That was before this currently severe third wave.

That was before the recent announcement that the Thai government was not going to allow private hospitals to buy vaccines.

Why are you panicking? Read the last line of my post - everyone will get their vaccine eventually.

In the meantime just keep following your province's guidelines, <deleted>.

1 minute ago, 3STTW said:

Why are you panicking? Read the last line of my post - everyone will get their vaccine eventually.

In the meantime just keep following your province's guidelines, <deleted>.

I don’t believe that you need this spelled out.

If you're high risk time is of the essence.

Here's possibly a bit of information.  I registered on the Line app and tried to book an appointment with Pattaya International Hospital and when that did not work I tried Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.  With both, no available dates showed up and when I randomly chose dates they didn't work.  I then selected a public hospital and dates to choose came up.  I was able to select a date and time in June.  This leads me to think that the private hospitals may not be in the system yet even though they are listed on the app.  

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don’t believe that you need this spelled out.

If you're high risk time is of the essence.

I hear you but panicking won't improve the situation; statistically, your risk of catching COVID hasn't increased that much over the last three weeks - provided you take all the recommended precautions. The ratio of infections per capita is still extremely low (<0.003% per day).

So... sit tight and wait your turn.

• Like 1

Maby trying to make more covidsafer your life for next 3-6 months is the best option ?

If living in big condocomplex, rent a house for next 6 months, food, shopping using deliveries, clean yourself,,
Only outdoor exercise,, No massage, barlife, barbers etc..

24 minutes ago, 3STTW said:

I hear you but panicking won't improve the situation; statistically, your risk of catching COVID hasn't increased that much over the last three weeks - provided you take all the recommended precautions. The ratio of infections per capita is still extremely low (<0.003% per day).

So... sit tight and wait your turn.

In my opinion "my turn" and all other foreigners living here who are  labeled high risk according to the Thai health authorities guidelines should be in the same group as Thais that are high risk. 

Thailand authorities have NOT as yet announced their specific policies about HIGH RISK foreigners either way. I think we at least deserve that clarification. If they officially and clearly announce that no we have no intention of including high risk foreigners in the high risk phase then fine of course we would need to accept that decision while obviously not liking it.

But we don't really know either way yet.

Your stats may or may not be true for Thailand as a whole but I and many other expats live in dark red high risk provinces so national stats would be meaningless. 

Also it's obvious that cases are under counted possibly to a great degree. 

Not saying intentionally but because most cases are no or low symptoms so most cases aren't even tested. You can't count what you don't test.

Edited by Jingthing

To add there is another potential great benefit of hearing a clear and official policy statement from the Thai government on their policy about high risk foreigners. If they did say we are definitely not going to include all high risk foreigners in the high risk earlier phase priority group, then expats would have a much stronger case to appeal our embassies for help.