POLL: Expats living in Thailand -- do you have a Thai I.D. card including if obtained via yellow book?

Thai I.D. card survey  

329 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Top line of my Pink ID card says ..

ID Card not Thailand Citizen

So ... it IS a Thai ID card

That pink card actually says "Non-Thai ID card". 

My blue card says "Thai National ID card"

image.png.61a5c38359216c6d633099fecb57e5fa.png

The pink thing is NOT a Thai ID card, but a Non-Thai ID card - quite simple. 

image.png.138931b3e187ea53cdb61d2404ce9dfc.png

And btw, expats who transitioned to citizen or Permanent resident are still expats. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

makes you wonder why the Thai DL is not a valid ID for all purposes, as it is in most countries.  It has name, address, date of birth, is traceable and has a validity period, so its perfect .  What more is needed?  

In Europe a DL is not considered an id card as far as i know.

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

That pink card actually says "Non-Thai ID card". 

My blue card says "Thai National ID card"

The pink thing is NOT a Thai ID card, but a Non=Thai ID card - quite simple. 

image.png.138931b3e187ea53cdb61d2404ce9dfc.png

And btw, expats who transitioned to citizen or Permanent resident are still expats. 

It is an official 13 digit Thailand identification number for non Thai.. It is good enough.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

It is an official 13 digit Thailand identification number for non Thai.. It is good enough.

lol, right, the number is a foreigner's ID number in Thailand so I guess is a Thai ID number.

But, the pink card is NOT a Thai ID cardwhich is blue). 

• Like 1

If you want the vaccine, JingJing, and are over 60, the pink card is probably not enough. You will have to register it with a hospital, or the social security system.

I just tried to register my Thai ID card but couldn't do it but I am under 60 and haven't changed my ID number from when I had the pink ID card.  

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

lol, right, the number is a foreigner's ID number in Thailand so I guess is a Thai ID number.

True. But you are one of the lucky ones who have passed go and obtained a blue id card as that we keep on hearing from you. congrats on you fortune. I hope you kept your other countries citizenship along with your Thai citizenship, but BTW, isn't that technically illegal to do so as per the real rules here?

• Like 1

I don;t have a pink id card or a yellow book. They want I first go to the Embassy for a legalised copy of my passport and than let it translate and legalize again at foreign affairs in Bangkok.. for me it is not worth making all these costs and spend the time  for doing it. I went several times to the Amphur and always the same .. They even are surprised I have a tax number and live here already for 16 years .. and everytime they tell me why don't you have a pink card.. and I answer the same.. give me one and they come up again with the legalized copies and translations...So I stopped asking

Edited by ikke1959
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

It was unbelievably  simple  to get this at Sam Roi Yot land office, took all of 10 minutes with photo and 1-2 baht fee reduced during covid  apparently.

This was 2  months  or so  ago. I also have had  a yellow  book one at an old  condo in BKK and one at my  current address in the countryside in a house. Am also registered at the main Hua  Hin hospital the one the Thais use with a card for  that.

Edited by gunderhill

Just now, Jingthing said:

Some people here are clearly trying to ruin this poll.

I am not amused. It's really obnoxious. 

The question is clear here.

If you have a Thai id  card, then 

Yes

If you have a pink ID card, then

Yes

If you have a Thai driver's license but no Thai id card including pink, then 

No

If you only have your passport  then of course 

No

Jingthing. You are 100% correct. It is very very clear. A Thai driver license is not an ID with 13 digits and only can take one so far. If have a Thai DL then the answer is NO.

19 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

No, it is not illegal. 

As I recall it is asked to resign your real citizenship, but it is not enforced. When you take the Thai oath of allegiance you formally and officially resign your claim to your country. But they don't take it farther than that.

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

makes you wonder why the Thai DL is not a valid ID for all purposes, as it is in most countries.  It has name, address, date of birth, is traceable and has a validity period, so its perfect .  What more is needed?  

Maybe because it actually isn't an ID card, but merely a proof of address, similar to a yellow tabien baan?

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think by now we can all accept that the Pink ID card functions as an Identity card in Thailand for non Thai’s.

I think by now it has been made clear many times that it has that function only in the district (maybe province) where it was issued.

I can not read Thai, but I have been told that it is also written on the card, that it is only valid in the district that it is issued.

A real ID card would be valid nationwide.

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its impossible to have any thread or comment about the Pink ID card without Neeraman piping up - He must have some sort of alarm set up on ThaiVisa forum... any mention of Pink ID and he’s there in a flash reminding us its not a Thai ID....  I’m quite impressed !!!! 

I saw this thread and straight away thought - This is a Dog Whistle for Neeraman - I wonder how many arguments on the subject he’s started already !!!!! 

So... Just to clear this up: 

The front of the card says: Identity Card for People who do not have Thai Nationality 

However on the rear of the card it says: This card is not an Identity Card 

There clear as mud, as with everything else in Thailand, inaccuracies, changing laws, different interpretation of laws, different offices accepting different things and even one single document contradicting itself from front to back....   

I think by now we can all accept that the Pink ID card functions as an Identity card in Thailand for non Thai’s.

We (on Thai Visa) and any other foreigners call it the 'Pink ID card’ further discussions are just a bit pathetic.

IMG_7480 2.jpg

IMG_7481.jpg

He already caved in to my reply regarding it. I think honestly, since he got his citizenship here and blue card he feels above us and entitled. Just needs to come down from the clouds a little as is not above anyone. No foul on him as still has the rose colored glasses on, but he tends to want to drive home he is a 2nd level Thai citizen. Meaning he is only just Naturalized only and will never be a Thai. 

52 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I don;t have a pink id card or a yellow book. They want I first go to the Embassy for a legalised copy of my passport and than let it translate and legalize again at foreign affairs in Bangkok.. for me it is not worth making all these costs and spend the time  for doing it. I went several times to the Amphur and always the same .. They even are surprised I have a tax number and live here already for 16 years .. and everytime they tell me why don't you have a pink card.. and I answer the same.. give me one and they come up again with the legalized copies and translations...So I stopped asking

I was always told the same as you at the Amphur. I was then told that the reason they want a translated copy of your passport is so they can get your name translated into Thai. If you are married and have a marriage certificate your Thai name is on that. I took that with me to the amphur and got both the yellow TB and Pink ID, FOC and both on the same day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

do you have a Thai I.D. card including if obtained via yellow book?

Driver's license is not a Thai I.D. card! So if that's all you've got then the answer is no. 

Not sure what your on about but here's me.

I don't have a Thai I.D. card but I have a yellow book that has my Thai ID number.

I have Thai driving licences for car and motorcycle with my Thai ID number on them given to me in yellow book.

So I use them as ID but have to point to the Thai ID number because most falangies have their passport number in that place on the DL..

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Not sure what your on about but here's me.

I don't have a Thai I.D. card but I have a yellow book that has my Thai ID number.

I have Thai driving licences for car and motorcycle with my Thai ID number on them given to me in yellow book.

So I use them as ID but have to point to the Thai ID number because most falangies have their passport number in that place on the DL..

The online tools to register for a Covid-19 vaccine require a Thai id card number and that number can be the number related to a yellow book. Do you get it now?

The correct answer for you in the poll is

YES

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The online tools to register for a Covid-19 vaccine require a Thai id card number and that number can be the number related to a yellow book. Do you get it now?

The correct answer for you in the poll is

YES

Thankyou Guru.

• Haha 1