POLL: Expats living in Thailand -- do you have a Thai I.D. card including if obtained via yellow book?

Thai I.D. card survey  

329 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I don't have a pink ID card but I have a 13-digit social insurance number which generally seems to work on things where you have to input 13 digits. I haven't tried doing the vaccine registration with it as it seems our workplace is already part of some kind of registration system. 

As I understand it, your social insurance 13 digit number is also your tax ID number.

Any expat working legally here already has a tax ID number.

Any retiree living here can also apply (very easy process) for a tax ID number. It is free. This is useful to have if you receive any interest on your bank deposits. You submit a tax return each year (all can be done online) and receive back the 15% withholding tax on that interest.

So if you have a 13-digit Tax ID number I assume that you can use it to register for vax, if you want.

15 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I know I am not allowed to post the original Thai script but your google translation is wrong. If you don't believe me, post those photos on the Thai sub forum. 

However, as this is a serious poll by JingJing, I won't derail the topic, or he will get upset ????  

This card is not official and they are still using the same writing on the back as they do for migrant workers. As it is not official, authorities are inconsistent with whether or not they accept it. 

The actual number is official, so you can use that for the online registration process. 

I actually bought a truck and motorcycle using it. But Ford and Yamaha had to hold it and get it verified at the Amphur that it was legit. That was the odd thing as took a day or two for them to do, but it was accepted as a bonafide ID. These are 2 different big Thai businesses.

• Thanks 1

For those that might be interested:

Richard Barrow 

@RichardBarrow

MedPark Hospital is the latest private hospital to invite foreigners to register their interest in getting vaccinated. As with the other hospitals, it’s not known when or even which vaccine will be made available. And of course, how much they will charge

https://www.medparkhospital.com/en/page/covid19-vaccine-survey

• Thanks 2

On 5/1/2021 at 4:34 PM, Antonymous said:

My wife is Thai. She has a Thai ID card.

My gardener is Burmese. He has a Pink ID card that provides ID, but is not a 'Thai ID card'. it doesn't make him Thai in any way.

I am British and have a British passport. I never carry it around with me. I also have a Thai DL which I use as ID for domestic flights, police checkpoints, hotel check ins, etc. It works as an ID, but doesn't make me Thai.

I doubt anyone who has a pink ID thinks they are or wants to be Thai.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 4:48 PM, Golden Triangle said:

So how many people use the pink ID card often and for what ??

We use it for times we are asked for ID. Can’t give you a definitive number as to how many. Plenty perhaps?

On 5/1/2021 at 5:50 PM, Neeranam said:

The pink thing is NOT a Thai ID card, but a Non-Thai ID card -

Technically correct. However for those of us who have one and use it when asked for ID in Thailand I think it’s acceptable to call it a Thai ID card. Thai people seem to agree with me, they even understand that I’m not actually Thai. Isn’t that great?

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 5:47 PM, Yellowtail said:

I used the pink ID to renew my DL a while back and did not need to show my passport, visa or certificate of residence. 

I also use it at the hospital I am registered at for social medical. 

Yes, you can use it any time you need to show proof of residence, eg, buying a car or motorcycle, opening a bank account, checking into hotels or at airline ticket counters and so on. This saves having to run to immigration for letters of residency, or carrying passport/wp every time you need proof. 

Anecdotally it may also work for entering Thai national parks for the Thai rate. Obviously there are mixed reports on this but last month I entered Hat Wanakon National Park for the Thai rate, no discussion. In northern Thailand it has been useful every time I've passed through nat'l parks on my motorcycle. I've also used it to buy and top up MRT and BTS/Rabbit cards in Bangkok, and to get the 50 percent discount for seniors (over 60) on MRT. 

Edited by SpoliaOpima

On 5/1/2021 at 4:32 PM, Pilotman said:

makes you wonder why the Thai DL is not a valid ID for all purposes, as it is in most countries.  It has name, address, date of birth, is traceable and has a validity period, so its perfect .  What more is needed?  

Probably because 50% of the people driving don't have them.

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2021 at 7:57 PM, CharlieH said:

People ALREADY have using the Pink ID card and successfuly registered via app for a jab.

Can we please STOP hair splitting, the OP has called it a Thai ID card simply because its issued by Thailand as an ID card, no one said anything about it making you "Thai".

It’s all the usual suspects who for reasons known only to themselves don’t want you to have a pink card and do everything to convince you it’s of no value. Weird isn’t it!

On 5/1/2021 at 7:02 PM, Susco said:

I think by now it has been made clear many times that it has that function only in the district (maybe province) where it was issued.

I can not read Thai, but I have been told that it is also written on the card, that it is only valid in the district that it is issued.

A real ID card would be valid nationwide.

But in reality it can be used anywhere in Thailand, speaking from personal experience.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 6:05 PM, Neeranam said:

lol, right, the number is a foreigner's ID number in Thailand so I guess is a Thai ID number.

But, the pink card is NOT a Thai ID cardwhich is blue). 

Yes, you’ve made your point again, but it is widely accepted as a form of ID so it’s safe to say, it’s a Thai ID card.

On 5/1/2021 at 8:34 PM, Susco said:

Talking about perpetuating oneself, this is what my pink card says on the backside.

Take special notice to point1.

Central Registration Office, Department of Provincial Administration, Ministry of Interior Rules and regulations for ID card holders 1. This card is not an ID card. 2. Please carry this card with you at all times for examination.  Issued the card, unless the person who has an alien identity certificate or 

And yet we use them, and they are accepted as ID, who'd have thought.

On 5/1/2021 at 6:50 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Its impossible to have any thread or comment about the Pink ID card without Neeraman piping up - He must have some sort of alarm set up on ThaiVisa forum... any mention of Pink ID and he’s there in a flash reminding us its not a Thai ID....  I’m quite impressed !!!! 

I saw this thread and straight away thought - This is a Dog Whistle for Neeraman - I wonder how many arguments on the subject he’s started already !!!!! 

So... Just to clear this up: 

The front of the card says: Identity Card for People who do not have Thai Nationality 

However on the rear of the card it says: This card is not an Identity Card 

There clear as mud, as with everything else in Thailand, inaccuracies, changing laws, different interpretation of laws, different offices accepting different things and even one single document contradicting itself from front to back....   

I think by now we can all accept that the Pink ID card functions as an Identity card in Thailand for non Thai’s.

We (on Thai Visa) and any other foreigners call it the 'Pink ID card’ further discussions are just a bit pathetic.

IMG_7480 2.jpg

IMG_7481.jpg

Slight correction.  On the back it does not say "This is not an identification card", as you state.  What it says is: "This is not an ID card."  My Thai partner always calls his card his "Thai ID" and I think the statement on the back of the pink card is to clarify that this identification card for people without Thai nationality is not the same as a Thai ID card issued to citizens.  

On 5/1/2021 at 9:19 PM, Susco said:

Was told to me by a Thai official working in a legal function at Pattaya City Hall.

I rather believe him than a wanna be Thai foreigner

My Banglamung issued pink card was refused by the true shop in Big C extra, they rejected my yellow book as well, and I had to stand my man to get it accepted at the 3BB head office in Soi Chaya Pruek.

I was buying a SIM for visiting friends from Europe. I’m on True so I went there but they refused my pink card so I went to AIS and bought a SIM there no questions asked.

There will always be two sides of the coin to this debate. The reason being, as with many many things in Thailand there is no consistency in rules application or even attitude, and certainly not in application/use.

What one person experiences is not neccesarily what others will, even in the same office !

It will all boil down to the circumstances applicable at that moment in time.TIT

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Susco said:

So your card was NOT accepted at the True shop, though didn't you make these claims just a few minutes earlier?

Had you asked me if my pink card had ever been refused I’d have said yes, twice. Out of the total number of times I’ve used the card that’s a very low rejection rate. I’m really sorry but I don’t know the precise number of times I’ve used it successfully.

On 5/1/2021 at 4:34 PM, Antonymous said:

My wife is Thai. She has a Thai ID card.

My gardener is Burmese. He has a Pink ID card that provides ID, but is not a 'Thai ID card'. it doesn't make him Thai in any way.

I am British and have a British passport. I never carry it around with me. I also have a Thai DL which I use as ID for domestic flights, police checkpoints, hotel check ins, etc. It works as an ID, but doesn't make me Thai.

Totally irrelevant post with regards to the poll.

• Like 1

makes you wonder why the Thai DL is not a valid ID for all purposes, as it is in most countries.  It has name, address, date of birth, is traceable and has a validity period, so its perfect .  What more is needed?  

You think too much.????

40 minutes ago, newnative said:

Slight correction.  On the back it does not say "This is not an identification card", as you state.  What it says is: "This is not an ID card."  My Thai partner always calls his card his "Thai ID" and I think the statement on the back of the pink card is to clarify that this identification card for people without Thai nationality is not the same as a Thai ID card issued to citizens.  

I'D means identification lol

The bright pink colour is to show it's not a Thai ID card. 

I believe the translation on the top of the Pink ID Card says something on the lines of "for those who live in Thailand, but are not Thai citizens", my Thai is not that good, perhaps someone who is a better reader of Thai than me can confirm this or have their wife translate the top line of their Pink ID Card.

What I make of this card is that it is in fact and acceptable ID Card, a Thai ID Card, i.e. accepted in Thailand.

I have not been able to check it on domestic flights with it as the airline staff have advised me that the airlines policy states that foreigners must produce a passport when checking in, after check in, foreigners can provide their ID cards when boarding the flight, this was confirmed when I saw a Malay with a Pink ID Card next to me trying to also check in and was told the same.

All hotels that I have booked under my name required my passport when checking in, however if the booking is under my wife's Thai name, they accept my Pink ID Card as a guest instead of my passport.

Banks require my passport when opening an account, as opposed to the Pink ID Card, although have accepted my Pink ID card when making an over the counter withdrawal.

I have provided my ID at hospitals and it has been accepted, so I believe it boils down to policies that would more or less have something to do with government regulations that govern the above, i.e. airlines, hotels, banks, suffice to say I believe it can be used for the basic stuff, but doesn't override your passport when it is required as above.

It's a useful tool in my opinion for when you are not carrying your passport as police and others can identify you with certainty, drivers licenses can also be a form of ID, however they don't confirm that you live in Thailand, they only say you have a Thai drivers/riders license.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 6:23 PM, Jingthing said:

Some people here are clearly trying to ruin this poll.

I am not amused. It's really obnoxious. 

The question is clear here.

If you have a Thai id  card, then 

Yes

If you have a pink ID card, then

Yes

If you have a Thai driver's license but no Thai id card including pink, then 

No

If you only have your passport  then of course 

No

I have been amazed at the cretinous thinking displayed by some in this thread. The results of the poll, as it stands, and which should have been perfectly clear, is obviously valueless!

Can we do it again, with pictures so the cretins know what you are talking about?

I have to say I could not believe the result, I expected not more than 20% positives.

A DL does not necessarily indicate a Thai ID number, which allows you to register in the vaccination program for June.