POLL: Expats living in Thailand -- do you have a Thai I.D. card including if obtained via yellow book?

Thai I.D. card survey  

329 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

People ALREADY have using the Pink ID card and successfuly registered via app for a jab.

My point was that they have probably already registered in a hospital. 

If you registered in a hospital with a passport number, a visit to the hospital to get a Thai ID number might be enough, without the hassle of going to the town house.  

12 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

A Pink ID card is valid anywhere in Thailand.

There is a statement on the back that says you cannot travel outside the issuing province "IF" you are subject to travel restrictions , ie: a Burmese condo builder has travel restrictions, expat foreigners do not have travel restrictions. The statement says a pink card doesn't allow travel to people otherwise not allowed to travel.

These myths exist because people like yourself keep perpetuating them

Talking about perpetuating oneself, this is what my pink card says on the backside.

Take special notice to point1.

Central Registration Office, Department of Provincial Administration, Ministry of Interior Rules and regulations for ID card holders 1. This card is not an ID card. 2. Please carry this card with you at all times for examination.  Issued the card, unless the person who has an alien identity certificate or 

19 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

There is a statement on the back that says you cannot travel outside the issuing province "IF" you are subject to travel restrictions

Did I say anywhere in my post that there are travel restrictions attached to the card?

Well no I didn't, but you just wanted to be Smart Alec.

What I said is, that the card has only validity in the district it was issued, because it is only an address confirmation.

1 minute ago, Susco said:

Talking about perpetuating oneself, this is what my pink card says on the backside.

Take special notice to point1.

Central Registration Office, Department of Provincial Administration, Ministry of Interior Rules and regulations for ID card holders 1. This card is not an ID card. 2. Please carry this card with you at all times for examination.  Issued the card, unless the person who has an alien identity certificate or 

It must be a gym membership,

Possibly lost in translation but I think they are trying to say its not a Thai national ID card.

My original point was there are no travel restrictions for expats with pink ID and the card is valid all over thailand.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Possibly lost in translation but I think they are trying to say its not a Thai national ID card.

My original point was there are no travel restrictions for expats with pink ID and the card is valid all over thailand.

I know I am not allowed to post the original Thai script but your google translation is wrong. If you don't believe me, post those photos on the Thai sub forum. 

However, as this is a serious poll by JingJing, I won't derail the topic, or he will get upset ????  

This card is not official and they are still using the same writing on the back as they do for migrant workers. As it is not official, authorities are inconsistent with whether or not they accept it. 

The actual number is official, so you can use that for the online registration process. 

18 minutes ago, Susco said:

What I said is, that the card has only validity in the district it was issued, because it is only an address confirmation.

Where does it say its only valid in the district it was issued ????

There is no statement or wording that says anything remotely like that.

I mentioned the travel restrictions for some, thinking you may have misinterpreted that as meaning not valid in other provinces, But. otherwise  there is nothing to say its not valid.

I have registered a sim card in Phuket, gone to hospital in Chaing mai and signed land office documents in Bangkok, all with with a Pink ID issued in Pattaya

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What does it say on the Front ????.....  Card for People who do not have Thai Identity 

So, which is it ??? its either an ID card or it isn’t - the information on the card itself is contradictory... and here we are as foreigners on a forum arguing the toss because of the pathetic attention to detail employed by Thai officials.... !!! 

Its an ID until it can’t be used as an ID card... I think thats about as useful as it gets for those without PR.

Holding a Pink ID card is certainly starting to look a lot more helpful under the current conditions.

-------

Getting a little deeper the confusion revolve around the actual language used:

Front… 

Bud (card) prachamtoa (person) khon (person) Sung (which) mai-mee (not have) san-chart (nationality) Thai.

Back

Bud (card) nee (this) mi-chai (not) bud (card) prachamtoa (person) prachachon (citizen)

Prachachon is the key missing word on the front which, the absence of which means its is not a ‘citizen’ identification card, but a ‘person’ identification card..... If that makes sense. 

Prachachon does not mean citizen. I think you are confusing it with "pracha GON".

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Where does it say its only valid in the district it was issued ????

There is no statement or wording that says anything remotely like that.

Was told to me by a Thai official working in a legal function at Pattaya City Hall.

I rather believe him than a wanna be Thai foreigner

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I have registered a sim card in Phuket, gone to hospital in Chaing mai and signed land office documents in Bangkok, all with with a Pink ID issued in Pattaya

My Banglamung issued pink card was refused by the true shop in Big C extra, they rejected my yellow book as well, and I had to stand my man to get it accepted at the 3BB head office in Soi Chaya Pruek.

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I bet you had to show the yellow housebook in the land, as this is the only official document. 

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I bet you had to show the yellow housebook in the land, as this is the only official document. 

No, wife was re-financing her house and I had to sign the "no claim on property as husband " document, BKK land office accepted just the Pink ID, 

I dont think there is any information in yellow book that's not on the ID, is there ?

You dont get one without the other

This might be of interest.  It shows the different categories of the ID number based on the first number

https://www.isaanlawyers.com/pink-id-card-for-foreigners-in-thailand/

The first number code seems to apply to both Blue and Pink ID cards as its the same number system on both cards.

My pink card number starts with an 8 as I have PR

The Thai ID card is done according to a law related to the Thai ID Card adopted in Buddhist year 2526.

The first digit of the Thai ID Card has the following meaning:

Number 1- means a Thai national born from January 1, 1984 onwards whose parents registered their birth within 15 days

Number 2- means a Thai national, born from January 1, 1984 onwards whose parents registered their birth late

Number 3- means a Thai national and aliens with identification cards whose names appeared in the census before May 31, 1984

Number 4- means the same group of people (as #3) who previously didn’t have an ID number

Number 5- means a Thai nationals whose names was added to the census later due to error

Number 6- is used for those who entered the country unlawfully or those who entered lawfully with intent to stay in the country on temporary basis. So if you have a yellow ta bian ban, you probably have a Thai ID number starting with 6.

Number 7- is for children of number 6

Number 8- is for formers aliens whose original nationality was converted to Thai after May 1, 1984 (And permanent residents to what I know).

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Of course the reason I'm doing this poll NOW is that online registration for the Covid-19 vaccibe has opened up and it accepts Thai id card numbers (including from yellow book) but NOT Thai driver's license numbers or passport numbers.

Is there more information on this, wrt foreigners? 

I am a Westerner living in Thailand with a house book and pink Thai I.D. Card, am I eligible to get a Thai vaccine in Thailand?

2 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

I am a Westerner living in Thailand with a house book and pink Thai I.D. Card, am I eligible to get a Thai vaccine in Thailand?

You're eligible to register online for a vaccine yes just as a Thai would. People with only passport numbers can't. Go figure.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Antonymous said:

My wife is Thai. She has a Thai ID card.

My gardener is Burmese. He has a Pink ID card that provides ID, but is not a 'Thai ID card'. it doesn't make him Thai in any way.

I am British and have a British passport. I never carry it around with me. I also have a Thai DL which I use as ID for domestic flights, police checkpoints, hotel check ins, etc. It works as an ID, but doesn't make me Thai.

I think you possibly missed the 1st poll question.  Your Burmese/Myanmar gardener would possibly fall under the first poll question just like myself and others that have a Pink Non Thai ID Card and Yellow book where my number starts 06-.  The cards are pretty much identical except for a few nuances such as the WP info on the rear of those Pink Non Thai ID cards, as my GF is Ethnic Karen/Myanmar, she has one as well as well as being registered in a Yellow house book and her card ID number starts with 00-.  I also believe his poll was not to see if you considered yourself Thai based upon having a Pink Non-Thai ID card.  However, I reserve the right to be wrong.  I was able to use my Pink Non-Thai ID card to register for the Mor Prom app this evening as well as my GF.  13 digit Id number is what is needed.

8 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

There are 2-3 thread running at the moment about it, You can use pink ID to register and make an appointment to get the vaccine when it starts in June

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

That pink card actually says "Non-Thai ID card". 

My blue card says "Thai National ID card"

image.png.61a5c38359216c6d633099fecb57e5fa.png

The pink thing is NOT a Thai ID card, but a Non-Thai ID card - quite simple. 

image.png.138931b3e187ea53cdb61d2404ce9dfc.png

And btw, expats who transitioned to citizen or Permanent resident are still expats. 

However the Pink Non Thai ID card is used for registration for even DLT, and is in the system for registering at a hospital as well. I have used mine to open bank accounts, obtain my cable/internet provider for my residence, register for my MEA power, and obtain my True Telephone number.  No passport shown.  No, It does not give us Thai citizenship such as you have, but it does give us access to programs at the hospitals that they have when they have vaccination clinics and such.  

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Theyreallrubbish said:

My pink card number starts with an 8 as I have PR

The Thai ID card is done according to a law related to the Thai ID Card adopted in Buddhist year 2526.

The first digit of the Thai ID Card has the following meaning:

Number 1- means a Thai national born from January 1, 1984 onwards whose parents registered their birth within 15 days

Number 2- means a Thai national, born from January 1, 1984 onwards whose parents registered their birth late

Number 3- means a Thai national and aliens with identification cards whose names appeared in the census before May 31, 1984

Number 4- means the same group of people (as #3) who previously didn’t have an ID number

Number 5- means a Thai nationals whose names was added to the census later due to error

Number 6- is used for those who entered the country unlawfully or those who entered lawfully with intent to stay in the country on temporary basis. So if you have a yellow ta bian ban, you probably have a Thai ID number starting with 6.

Number 7- is for children of number 6

Number 8- is for formers aliens whose original nationality was converted to Thai after May 1, 1984 (And permanent residents to what I know).

The thing you posted is for the Thai ID card, not the pink one. Pink card has different criteria, obviously.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

The thing you posted is for the Thai ID card, not the pink one.

Has to be both as Number 6 is pink card only

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

makes you wonder why the Thai DL is not a valid ID for all purposes, as it is in most countries.  It has name, address, date of birth, is traceable and has a validity period, so its perfect .  What more is needed?  

It's not tied to your address.

And, actually, the DL is becoming less accepted in some countries.  Like in the US, a DL used to be pretty much the only ID you needed.  Recently they added a requirement to verify your home address otherwise the federal government will no longer accept it as ID, at least for certain purposes such as bordering a flight.  In other words, you have to bring your utility bill with your name on it with our DL application or they don't put a little star on the DL which is required now for using it as an ID to fly. 

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Of course the reason I'm doing this poll NOW is that online registration for the Covid-19 vaccibe has opened up and it accepts Thai id card numbers (including from yellow book) but NOT Thai driver's license numbers or passport numbers.

I don't have a pink ID card but I have a 13-digit social insurance number which generally seems to work on things where you have to input 13 digits. I haven't tried doing the vaccine registration with it as it seems our workplace is already part of some kind of registration system. 

1 minute ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I don't have a pink ID card but I have a 13-digit social insurance number which generally seems to work on things where you have to input 13 digits. I haven't tried doing the vaccine registration with it as it seems our workplace is already part of some kind of registration system. 

I really don't know but it sounds like you might have one of the magic numbers. 

Just now, 2009 said:

Hang on....

How do u get a Thai ID without being (a) Thai (citizen)?

Another one who needs the info.  You need a yellow house book for your residence, then you can get the Pink Non Thai ID card.  Maybe look at some of the OPS. Search Pink ID card 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The pink thing is NOT a Thai ID card, but a Non-Thai ID card - quite simple.

I never posted that it was a Thai ID card.

As I am not Thai I fully understand the distinction.

• Like 2

Well this poll got a pretty quick and good response. 

About half do have the ID number that would allow online sign up for the Covid 19 vaccine and half don't.

Obviously no poll here is scientific but I reckon in this case the results do roughly reflect the reality.

I would have predicted only 25 percent have the ID number but a member on another topic seemed to imply the vast majority do.

So we were both somewhat off in our guesses about this.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well this poll got a pretty quick and good response. 

About half do have the ID number that would allow online sign up for the Covid 19 vaccine and half don't.

Obviously no poll here is scientific but I reckon in this case the results do roughly reflect the reality.

I would have predicted only 25 percent have the ID number but a member on another topic seemed to imply the vast majority do.

So we were both somewhat off in our guesses about this.

I agree, it is higher than I would have thought.

Reading this thread makes me think Thaivisa should maybe try and do some sort of census, what visa, pink card, use an agent etc. It would benefit all the discussions knowing how many etc. I think agents usage would be way higher than people presume.

12 hours ago, digibum said:

It's not tied to your address.

And, actually, the DL is becoming less accepted in some countries.  Like in the US, a DL used to be pretty much the only ID you needed.  Recently they added a requirement to verify your home address otherwise the federal government will no longer accept it as ID, at least for certain purposes such as bordering a flight.  In other words, you have to bring your utility bill with your name on it with our DL application or they don't put a little star on the DL which is required now for using it as an ID to fly. 

Not so in the UK